Author Topic: Hiya  (Read 8146 times)

RKade8583

• Private
  • "I hate." Patton Oswalt
    • View Profile
    • The Other Roguelike I Play
Hiya
« on: April 14, 2012, 09:22 »

Didn't see an intro thread so I made one. I'm RKade and if I make it to the end of the month with money in my account, you guys'll get it (I'll alternate monthly between giving to this and giving to ADOM since I love both RLs).

My wife is bound and determined to break this habit of mine of spending every cent in my account (lifetime disability in California means you have to spend every cent or so I was told way back when) and we thought this'd be a good way to go about it. Give to a good cause and all.
Proudly gaming since Dos 2.5 on the Atari 800XL... Doctor's orders.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: Hiya
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 10:26 »

Welcome to the forums!

Yeah, I think we really need an introduce yourself thread...
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 11:18 »

"Hello my name is Kornel and I am trying to bugfix this game for few last years..."

=)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 12:27 »

Didn't see an intro thread so I made one.

I don't do too many forums, but so far I've not seen any intro thread. You just go from 'out' to 'in' by activating your account.

Good idea nonetheless: I'm Dee and consider myself very lucky. So far this is the only RL I've played, but I must admit I'm completely hooked. And I should really get me a paypal account and put in a donation as well; good work needs to be rewarded.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 12:54 »

"Hey, my name is Kornel and this is my favorite forum on the Citadel". ;]
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

pacmanus

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 13:03 »

And I say Hello to everybody!
I'm pacmanus, but some guys call me 619... because of my id number from work place.

DoomRL is awesome! Kornel do it best!

RKade8583

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 14:25 »

This is usually the norm. If there isn't a stickied intro thread, there's an intro forum.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 15:41 »

Hmm.. I never really liked the "Hi" threads, since in the end they usually just end up with endless "Hi" posts and nothing else. And what's the point of saying hi if nobody reads it?
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 15:59 »

And what's the point of saying hi if nobody reads it?

Well, I do!

Seriously. Guess it's just one way of making the forum seem more alive to newcomers. A detail that makes the board more... warm, friendly? Not a bad idea.

Also, hi there. Been gone for a time, appearing once in a long, long while and probably I am not remembered at all. Maybe it is going to change this time...

This time, finally, I AM going to donate. Such a piece of art demands to be rewarded.

Cheers.

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 17:10 »

Hmm.. I never really liked the "Hi" threads, since in the end they usually just end up with endless "Hi" posts and nothing else. And what's the point of saying hi if nobody reads it?
And why do you think nobody would read it?
Through such threads, people can get into live contact way easier than searching through user profiles to see if someone else happens to be from CZ as well as we are. Doubly so for more "local" sites to see that there can be more players from Ostrava, with some common interests and a shared taste for a good beer or two. Bingo - an Internet community can then quickly become a basis for a real-life one.
Sure - this requires players to bring more of an introduction than just sincere "Hi! DoomRL is great!" :)
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 19:38 »

"Hi, I'm thelaptop, resident Chaos Fanatic!  Nice to meet you all, and have a wonderful time at the 'forge."

=)
I computed, therefore I was.

RKade8583

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 01:51 »

When I donate at the end of the month, does that captcha go away? I seriously despise those things because I can't see them well enough and that voice has given me the wrong letters a few times.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 05:25 »

I think it has to do with you having non-zero posts.  Posting in the off-topic forum does not increase your post count because off-topic does not add to any of the main "content" of chaosforge.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 13:15 »

(Ah, that explains why he has "0 posts;" I was wondering about that)

Well, my name is Tormuse, a name given to me by a former neighbour who created my first E-mail address eons ago.  He had the idea that I should pick something that helps me be anonymous, so he combined "Tor" (because I live in Toronto) with "muse."  (because I like music)  Frankly, I would have preferred an E-mail that had my name in it, so it would be easy for everyone to remember, but somehow, the name Tormuse stuck and I've been using it ever since on a variety of forums all over the internet.

I first found DoomRL through a link from Curly's world of Freeware in December, 2010 and I've been hooked ever since.

In real life, I'm a massage therapist by training, but that hasn't worked out for me as a career, so I'm thinking of going back to school for nursing.  In the mean time, I've been working in the cell phone department at Wal-Mart.

Greetings, everyone, and nice to meet you all!  :)
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

2DeviationsOut

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 06:46 »

I'm 2DeviationsOut, but I also go by TwoDev. It's a bit of a statistics joke, but whatever. I picked it out because I'm typically on the edges of the bell curve, and I don't fit in well in most places/situations. I'm a college student somewhere in the Northeast of America. I do computer security for a living. My favorite gametypes are roguelikes and FPS games, with a splash of RTSes and old-school dungeon crawl games like Dungeon Master.

As far as a career goes, I want to go into Penetration Testing, which is where a company hires you to haxx their nets, and then you tell them how you did it.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 06:58 »

Tormuse: So that's how you got your name!  I was wondering about it for a while... it is a nice handle though.

TwoDev: Heheheh... I got your statistics joke.  But why stop at 2?  3 is better.  =P

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 08:15 »

Tormuse: So that's how you got your name!  I was wondering about it for a while... it is a nice handle though.

TwoDev: Heheheh... I got your statistics joke.  But why stop at 2?  3 is better.  =P

Depends on which side of the bell curve 2Dev comes out ;).
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working
Pages: 1 2 [All]