Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 13:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 35

Author Topic: [OOC Thread] The Lesser of Two Heresies.  (Read 143691 times)

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Re: [looking for volunteers] The Lesser of Two Heresies.
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 09:08 »

It is not a bad idea to keep the melee weapon handy, but if you get your combat tactics right, it might not be that necessary.

Then I guess I'll rather keep it. While I will probably know most of the basic rules and several obscure ones that are never needed by heart by the time we start, I can't be expected to use that knowledge for maximum combat effectiveness. I tend to roleplay even in the middle of combat, so I guess it's lucky my char has high willpower, or he'd be running away/hiding/surrendering more often than attacking =)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 09:13 by Klear »
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 09:18 »

Ponder for a while and decide what kind of a character would you like to play and I'll make a sheet for you.

Let's more or less turn that around: let me know what character you need to complete the group once you know what the others will do. Give me basics like a career, walk of life, mission, stuff like that and I'll build a character around it. I think for me it's the easiest way to start in a hitherto unexplored background.

I think I'll manage with the system. Not having looked at the books yet, I'll hazard a guess that the characteristic scheme is more or less the same as WFRPG (M/WS/BS/S/T/W/I/A/Ld/Int/Cl/WP/Fel/crap I still know this by heart), already saw a remark about Fate Points, and then there'll probably be some skills - I think that should about sum it up. And I should be able to look up anything you send my way.

Anywho, clue me in as soon as you know what type of character would suit the group/game best; that should work fine for me.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 11:12 »

Sure thing.

Yes, the stats system in Dark Heresy is basically the same as in WFRP - except that you have Perception score and no secondary attributes. If you need a strength bonus, you check tens digit of your strength score (i.e. if you have 31 strength, your bonus is 3). The same is true for any other stat. I think it's easy to grasp.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 11:29 »

I've written a little something about the character in case it's needed. Needless to say, I'd appreciate if the other PCs didn't know that my char is a Psyker. I guess I'll do my best to hide it as long as I can, since it's not the most trust-inspiring trait to have. Thank god I rolled a high Fel score.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 11:32 »

Good stuff! You might not have the pen-and-paper experience, but you sure know how to lay a foundation for a character.

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 11:35 »

Yes, that is EXACTLY how it's done. Marvelous job!

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2012, 14:54 »

Thanks.

If I understand it correctly, Psy Rating 1 gives me two Minor Psychic Powers. I'd take Chameleon and Forget Me, since these two sound like something that would be useful in my char's previous life, though Spasm looks fun and Resist Possession could save our collective asses on my unlucky roll. Any advice?

As for spending XP, I'll take +5 WP for 100 and can I have Charm as an Elite Advance for 100xp? I don't care much for the talents/skills available as a 1st rank Psyker, though I could spend this XP on a third Minor Psychic Power, solving the dilemma above.

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2012, 15:05 »

Spend them on another power, since Elite Advances are meant to be rewards for good playing. If I was to advice you, Weapon Jinx, Unnatural Aim or even Touch of Madness is a way to go. I guess you could also make some good use out of Healing.

Don't worry, you'll learn Charm soon enough - I'm going to grant you XPs everytime you do something worth rewarding, so their flow will be rather constant.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 15:30 »

I was going by the logic of being halfway scum without the sanctioning, besides, I want to use psyker powers as little as possible. I've seen a couple of discussions around the net and the consensus seems to be "shoot psyker PCs in the head while you can", and they are talking about sanctioned ones. In any case, the skill I have my mind set on is Blather and I can get that as a 3rd rank Psyker (if i survive that long), so I guess another power it is.

I've been thinking about Unnatural Aim. Weapon Jinx sounds like something that would force melee fight, which I want to avoid. Touch of Madness sounds nice, but with the threshold of 11 I'd need to make a power roll even when using invocation which is something I'd rather avoid with that additional roll due to the Unsanctioned Psyker trait.

Anyway, I'll think it through tomorrow. Too tired right now.

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2012, 15:40 »

Makes sense, that. Guess I should make you a special development tree for an unsanctioned psyker. You are NOT an Imperial Psyker, after all, right?
I'll think about it soon.

Goodnight.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 12:33 »

Blegh, having a crappy evening and getting shot by every sergeant I run into only makes it worse. Time to draw up my character for this instead.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 13:21 »

I'm gonna go with the Origin Path system, using the knowledge I have from playing Necromunda as a basis. As such:

* I'll be a Hive World character, Abhuman preferably (stock to be determined), originating from somwhere in the Underhive
* I'll go for Stubjack as a Birthright, as I grew up in gang life.
* I'll be a Criminal / Wanted Fugitive, found guilty on charges as diverse as theft, armed robbery, assault, murder and anything else the Arbites care to slap on me
* I'll take Press-Ganged for a Trial, fits in nicely with the concept I have in mind.
* I'll go for Pride as Motivation; I'll take the Heirloom effect, but instead of rolling on the table it might be nice if the GM comes up with something appropriate.
* I'll take the Rogue Trader Path; it fits the background I have in mind best.

So, Sil, if you see this, let me know if this fits the bill; in the meantime, I'll work out the character a bit further (more in terms of background than rules). As with most characters I do, I have a general feeling of who he is, though it might take a little time to put in words...

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 08:48 »

My true name I have left behind after my ascent into the ranks of the Sons of the Iron Star, one of the gangs of House Orlock. Despite my deep blue leathery skin, clearly marking me as an Abhuman, I have been considered a full-fledged member ever since I saved Grek, the gang leader from being shot by one of the Adeptus Arbites – I broke his neck a mere five minutes after my wife and daughter were killed in a raid on our territory, executed by the Arbites in order to root out the Sons. Saving Grek was nowhere on my agenda, but it did immediately provide me with a new home. Sadly, it also sealed my fate as an outlaw and renegade.

From that point on, my distrust in authority developed into a deep-seated hatred, which only served to enable me to easily establish my position with the Sons. I am praised for my composed demeanour and decisive conduct, and for never letting down those who trust in me. I have threatened, I have stolen, I have assaulted and killed – though I have never acted against women or children. I will do anything to protect my people, to feed them and to help them eke out an existence in the barren wasteland that is the Underhive.

To be continued..

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 14:09 »

OK, building the character (I'm ignoring skills for the moment, just concentrating on stats). I rolled the following:

WS 36   Int 41
BS 34   Per 37
S  38   WP  42
T  37   Fel 39
Ag 34

* Hive World origin would give me Fel+5 and T-5. I didn't grow up in the Hive itself though, but in the Underhive; I think Per+5 instead of Fel+5 is more likely. I rolled 4 on the D5 roll for Wounds, giving me 2*3+4+1 = 11 Wounds. I rolled a 7 for Fate, which translates to 3 points.

* Stubjack gives me a +5 to choose on WS and BS; I'll take the latter. -5 to Fel though, and 2 Insanity Points (my first low roll, but I'll try hard to go insane during play, promise).

* Being a Wanted Fugitive doesn't modify any scores.

* Same goes for being Press-ganged (Unwilling Accomplice)

* And for Pride too.

For the GM:
* If you have another Path for me that would better fit a Ganger/Scummer, please supply.
* As to my being of Abhuman stock: I had a sort of Lizardman in mind, head shaped like a komodo dragon's but with a dark blue/greyish skin, and more leathery than scaly. I'd propose a Fel-10 / T+10 for this (or maybe and extra Wound instead of the T bonus). Please let me know what you think.

Without the Abhuman modifiers, I'd get:

WS 36   Int 41   Wounds 11
BS 39   Per 42   Fate 3
S  38   WP  42   Insanity 2
T  32   Fel 34
Ag 34

Awaiting response before continuing...

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 05:25 »

Works for me, but instead I'd give you -5 Fel and +1 Wounds.
The rest is awesome.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 35