Chaosforge Forum

• May 26, 2024, 11:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35

Author Topic: [OOC Thread] The Lesser of Two Heresies.  (Read 145971 times)

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Re: [looking for volunteers] The Lesser of Two Heresies.
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2012, 12:35 »

Don't worry. I'm keeping tabs on this thread (getting email updates since it started).

I'm not very active on the forums right now because A) I have a lot work to do recently. Make that had. I've finished all that yesterday. I'll be much more active now, as soon as I sober up (hehe... damn hockey). And B) I've lost the flash I had DoomRL stored on and it seems it might be gone for good. I think it's understandable that I didn't have mood for DoomRL since then.

In any case - I still have to remake the character, since it turned out an unlicensed pskyer would probably be too much to handle, even more so since there will only be two PCs initially (?). Since I'm a lazy SoB, I'll probably take whatever traits and characteristics I can from the one I sketched earlier, just change the psyker stuff to something more managable.

As for the technical stuff/text formatting - I'll take whatever you guys agree on. I'll just throw out one small question - will we open a new thread for the game itselt (if it turns out to be a nice little story, it would be nice to have it all together without any extra baggage) and maybe keep this thread for technical matter unrelated to the current happenings in the game?

To wrap this up - don't worry about me disappearing on you, I'll have my char ready by Monday and I can't wait to start playing.
Gotta go, pub calls =)
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2012, 13:26 »

Sure, I'm making a new topic for the game.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2012, 00:59 »

I've been going through the combat rules yesterday, and even more so than in WFRPG, they strike me as pretty rediculous. I think when combat occurs (which I expect to be on a rather regular basis), the game stops being an RPG and starts wanting to be a computer game. It may very well be nicely balanced, but I think it's heavily overdone and still lacking - take for example the fact that without specific talents/skills you will be unable to pull a pistol's trigger more than once per 3 seconds.

Apart from the tests involved, which I expect the GM to take care of, how strictly are we going to have to adhere to the given system? In my experience, it makes for a much more intense and realistic game when you let go of everything except the basics (to hit rolls & damage calculation), and just work out the results on the fly. This may sound daunting, and requires a little more effort on behalf of the GM, but if you just rely on common sense.

Again, this may very well be different for PBF than for face-to-face RPG; in the latter case you don't want to lose time going through complex rules, since the pace of the game (especially in combat) is extremely important.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2012, 02:11 »

without specific talents/skills you will be unable to pull a pistol's trigger more than once per 3 seconds.

Common Sense!
And how do you expect to hit anything without aiming between attacks? This is why you have "one attack per turn" cooldown - because of the assumption you are actually trying to score a hit.

In fact, the combat system is pretty simple (compared to, well, anything except World of Darkness) and fully usable on forums. I can't see why we should change anything in it.
It's not as bad as it looks like. Also, you have just enough time to realize how it works before we go into guns blazing. Ask if you have any questions.

How strict? Not very strict, but still. All the actions described in the rulebook are possible and it's good to know how they work, but feel free to come up with your own ideas on fighting.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2012, 02:23 »

I guess we'll see how it goes once the fighting starts. One shot per 3 seconds sounds about right for somebody inexperienced with pistols.
I've yet to read the rules of combat in detail though.

BTW, what is PBF? I keep thinking of Perry Bible Fellowship.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2012, 05:26 »

Pakistan Boxing Federation comes up on top on Wiki :)

I mean Play-by-Forum, so as to differentiate between online roleplaying and pen-and-paper/face-to-face RPG.

And how do you expect to hit anything without aiming between attacks?...because of the assumption you are actually trying to score a hit

Actually, I don't :) But there's a huge difference between having the rules say you can't pull the trigger twice (you can do 2 half actions, of which pulling the trigger is one, but you are 'forbidden' to do the same half action twice) and having the rules say that they don't care how often you pull the trigger, as long as you're prepared not to hit anything. And of course, even in combat there are plenty of reasons not to shoot to score a hit (warning, distraction, pressure, etc).

What I'm trying to say is that by having so much predefined, no matter how well it's worked out and how balanced it is, the gaps/inconsistencies/oddities become embarrassingly obvious, which simply doesn't do the game justice.

(Right now, I'm reminded of this)

It think I already mentioned as much, but I'm completely in love with World of Darkness for its 'engine'. I can't speak for W40K and I know for a fact that I've seen some improvements already, but with WFRPG you could easily get to a stage where you couldn't be hurt by normal enemies anymore and would hit and wound with about every blow you dealt, and that was simply achieved by following the rules. If you wanted a balanced WFRPG campaign you were either forced to backstab the players or pit them against groups of trolls within a couple of weeks of gametime.

Although the systems of increasing characteristics is heavily downgraded, I'm getting the same vibe from 40K. I totally agree on trying it out before making radical changes, by the way, it's just that I wanted to voice this suspicion beforehand.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2012, 02:45 »

OK, here's the rerolled character:

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/dha-show.php?charnum=40865>
Code: [Select]
MkLear, Ganger Scum

WS:  28  BS: 41  S:   29
T:   24  Ag: 34  Int: 26
Per: 30  WP: 35  Fel: 39

Wounds: 12
Fate Points: 1
Insanity Points: 0
Corruption Points: 0
Thrones: 1

Homeworld: Hive World (Tanith)
Career: Scum
Build: Wiry
Skin Color: Fair
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Brown
Quirk: You have tattoos.
Hive Class: Ganger Scum
Divination: Mutation without, corruption within.
Starting XP: 100
Starting Package: None

Traits: Accustomed to Crowds, Caves of Steel, Hivebound, Wary
Basic Skills: Tech-Use (Int) (Caves of Steel), Deceive (Fel), Awareness (Per), Charm (Fel)
Advanced Skills: Speak Language (Hive Dialect) (Int), Speak Language (Low Gothic) (Int), Blather (Fel), Common Lore (Imperium) (Int)
Talents: Melee Weapons Training (Primitive), Pistol Training (SP), Basic Weapons Training (SP), Unremarkable
Gear: autopistol and 1 clip, knife, autogun and 1 clip, brass knuckles, quilted vest, street ware (Poor Quality Clothing), wooden dice (memento), lho-sticks
Special Qualities: None.
Family: None

More to come.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 07:50 by Klear »

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2012, 08:14 »

Updated character background. You'll note it's the same thing as before, just a little updated. I'm lazy =)

Code: [Select]
Lijah MkLear was born on the hive world Tanith, though the moving Nalwood forests are now only a faint memory. Not one to stay in one place for to long, he drifted from planet to planet, moving on whenever his less-than-honourable ways to keep a living made his current residence too dangerous to stay. Rather than to try and confront his problems, he relies on his silver tongue and quick feet before resorting to combat, though he's skilled with both his autopistol and knife if push comes to shove.
Not trusting the imperial authorities, MkLear lives among the lowest ganger scum, making meager living by schemes and frauds. Ironically, that is what caused him to run into an imperial Inquisitor on the Hive World of Malfi. Expecting a quick death at best, he was surprised to get an irrefusable offer to work for the good of the Empire. Not sure whether this means some kind of protection or the greatest threat to his life yet, he accepts the mission, keeping his eyes open to any opportunity to disappear from this sector like he's done so many times before.

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2012, 13:56 »

Guess we're starting tonight...

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2012, 14:16 »

Fire it up! (I'm actually going to bed right now, but I'll sure be keeping plenty of track o' things this weekend :)

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2012, 18:36 »

...or in the morning. Stay tuned.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2012, 03:27 »

Since my girlfriend has to work this evening, I'm gonna be at home glued to my computer...

---------------------------------------------------------------

22:44h, still glued... anyone?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 14:44 by LuckyDee »

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2012, 15:35 »

The writing machine warming up.

It is 00:13. And we are on air.

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2012, 08:52 »

Since this seems to be a kind of "tech thread", I'm posting my character stats here.
Hell, otherwise, I'm going to forget about them :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Forgot to put in starting equipment and traits list. Also, following Silharr's advice, spent some exp. +5 Ag and Awareness trait, now I'm left with 50xp.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 00:09 by HexaDoken »
2nd Lieutenant Hell Baron, Body Count: 43879
Wins:[1|7|1|0|0] Deaths: [7|90|26|16|2] Badges:[18|10|4|0|0]
Highest Score: 214763
Currently Doing: AoB HNTR

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2012, 09:03 »

Hey, fresh meat! I think we (Silhar, Klear and me) had all banked on starting with just 2 players, but it's nice to have 1 more, as far as I'm concerned. Silhar will have to OK this, since he's the GM, but I'm expecting no trouble there.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35