Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 05:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 35

Author Topic: [OOC Thread] The Lesser of Two Heresies.  (Read 142583 times)

Esther

Re: [OOC Thread] The Lesser of Two Heresies.
« Reply #450 on: August 28, 2012, 01:25 »

Changed my message in IC. This way it makes more sense to me, as Xilla is the last to leave.

Kabrinski

• Private FC
  • A terran marine...
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: August 28, 2012, 03:32 »

You play it with magic. A magic that is called "narration" and "staying in character".
The only exclusion is when things prove to be too hot to handle, where Strife begins. There you equip your trusty set of dices and deal with over9000 overcomplex combat mechanics and stuff.
But other than that, you play it on pure magic.

Yeah, I've done RPs before dude-I know that. But the complicate combat mechanics and every other thing involved-I think I'll just stick to the RPs I've been playing on another site-especially after taking a look at a character sheet.

These are the RPs I usallly play-http://www.archaerion.com/index.php?sid=ddaf9598c9c0d9059b8d1a21d2f4f927
We all walk a dark path...for there are only shadows. Some lighter, and some darker...but shadows all the same.

For all life is a shade of grey.

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: August 28, 2012, 04:33 »

Been gone for quite an amount of time, shesh.

Soon we're back to regular playing, boys and girls. Brace up.

Kabrinski, want to join up?

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: August 28, 2012, 04:36 »

The mechanics don't really stand in the way. So far they have been invoked only on one occasion (if I remember correctly) in combat and it was Silhar doing the math. It makes sense - you can have your character shoot at an enemy and then hit him according your character's skill, but you can't have your character shoot out his enemy's eyes just because you want to.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Sylith

« Reply #454 on: August 28, 2012, 04:38 »

If you have no mechanics, it's called storytelling.
And if you don't get "how do we play this", I'd suggest you to simply pick up some RPG handbook and read it. In most I've seen there is a chapter like "what is this and how do you play it".

Soon we're back to regular playing, boys and girls. Brace up.
Hey, they just went out
and this is craaazyyy!
But here's the IC
so write something maybe?

[I'm really sorry if I hurt your brainz.]
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 04:43 by Sylith »

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: August 28, 2012, 04:53 »

Kabrinski

• Private FC
  • A terran marine...
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: August 28, 2012, 05:59 »

I know how to play a traditional pencil-paper RPG folks, I just didn't really think you could apply traditional mechanics-henceforth my half-hearted attempts at an RPG-Doom Hellhole being a prime example.

THough I may try to impliment some actual mechanics in wasteland-it's worth a shot.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 06:01 by Kabrinski »
We all walk a dark path...for there are only shadows. Some lighter, and some darker...but shadows all the same.

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: August 28, 2012, 06:30 »

Applying the mechanics into a PBF is not a difficult task to accomplish, it's also believed that it makes hosting the game a lot easier. If one decides to use such thing, all the rolls are mostly either made by GM himself, or by the means of some online roll generator (like invisiblecastle.com, my personal favorite).
But there's an old truth - mechanics have to be simple enough not to kill gameplay. I had many problems trying to host a Deadlands or Wolsung game, because you just can't solve the matter of playing cards usage via forum board. If I may suggest - Traveller is fine for sci-fi games, as well as Cortex. Savage Worlds are pretty fun to implement, yet the pen'n'paper game itself is hard to balance properly...
So far, the best one I've ever tried to engage is New World of Darkness, being pretty elastic, simple and intuitive.

Making your own mechanics is a tough job. Tried this once or twice, but hurt my head severely.

Sylith

« Reply #458 on: August 28, 2012, 06:41 »

@Kabrinski
I think any of us will be happy to help, but if I might suggest... maybe make another topic for this, if you need anything else?

(OOC is longer than IC, it's getting awkward.)

@Klear
That was meant only for Silharr. Fear not, you will be forced to talk with the Seer any time now... :3

Kabrinski

• Private FC
  • A terran marine...
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: August 28, 2012, 07:05 »

Alright-will do.

Reef Blastbody

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Big McLargehuge
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: August 28, 2012, 10:27 »

Could someone do up a cast/synopsis of the game so far? Nothing novella sized, just like a little intro to a play.

Example :

The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark is a tragedy by William Shakespeare. Set in the Kingdom of Denmark, the play dramatizes the revenge Prince Hamlet exacts on his uncle Claudius for murdering King Hamlet.

Klear - Hamlet, son of the former King, and nephew of the current King
Sylith - Claudius, King of Denmark, and Hamlet's uncle
Esther - Polonius, Lord Chamberlain

Except, y'know, for The Lesser of Two Heresies.
HERE COMES THE NIGHT TRAIN

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: August 28, 2012, 10:50 »

The way your request was written made my day. So, there you go:

The thing is set on a Hive World of Malfi. As seen in Core Rulebook, Malfian Nobility is a bunch of self-absorbed pricks, endlessly plotting against each other. Somehow, Lord Governor of the Calixis Sector manages to look in another direction if something brutal occurs, but this time one of the Noblemen gets accused of financially supporting the local rebellion. The consequences are grim - The Inquisition kicks in and starts the investigation. The air suddenly smells with fire, steel and rotten guts.

How do you delve into such individual's deepest secrets without alarming his peers that they should expect Imperial Inquisition?
The Inquisitor hires a bunch of worst bastards he could find to get into, blend with and gain support of one of the most numerous criminal organizations of the Underhive, because rumor has it that the leader of the pack is - completely coincidentally, of course - planning on a heist, right in the hypothetical rebel's mansion.

Of course, they are most probably going to die trying, for the Underhive is a really bad place to live in...

There will be some intrigue, some more violent shootouts, and - most of all - some moral dilemmas for those who just buy this kind of stuff. What's the difference between the Crime Lord's attack dog and the Inquisition's attack dog, anyway?

Dramatis Personae:
(in order of, well, remembrance?)

Klear as Lijah MkLear - quick-talking dashing rogue from the world of Tanith. Hides some dark secrets to be revealed later.
LuckyDee as Lazerus - gun-totting bandit of lizard-like appearance. His most notable skill is staring blankly for undefined amount of time.
HexaDoken as himself - unemotional, laid-back gun for hire. His back looks like a swiss cheese, a dozen holes punched with gunfire. These are of sentimental value, since the mercenary refuses to be patched up.
Esther as Xilla - sneaky assassin from the Moritat Death Cult, sent by the Inquisitor to "keep an eye for these dirtbags in case they'd done something stupid".
Sylith as The Seer - walking enigma. It's hard to decide if she's just an exotic, sophisticated fortune teller, or an inquisitorial agent in disguise. Or both.
Silharr as The Game "Master" - "Absolutely! I'm da boss!" - He claims that reading makes it harder to host the game, so he doesn't, just throwing in random people and events.

So far, we managed to:
- Irk the Inquisitor. Do bear in mind, he's half-machine and generally not prone to being irked.
- Enter Hive Malfi's sewers;
- Avoid getting eaten by a monstrous spider, by means of shooting his ass off;
- Get radiation sickness;
- Avoid drowning in a hangar full of leaky pipes;
- Get to the outlaw village down below the Malfi city;
- Meet the Seer and inquiry her for a long, long time. Also, eat a fish.

And all that only after 22 pages of rough role-playing!

Now, the group is heading towards the village saloon. I feel for them. I wouldn't play it sober, too.

Reef Blastbody

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Big McLargehuge
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: August 28, 2012, 11:24 »

Awesome, thanks.

I started laughing so hard at

So far, we managed to:

- Avoid drowning in a hangar full of leaky pipes;

Just because it reminded me of Metal Gear Solid 2, when Raiden calls the Colonel on his CODEC and and is totally pumped.

"Colonel! We've managed to avoid drowning!"
HERE COMES THE NIGHT TRAIN

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: August 28, 2012, 23:46 »

Holy hell I can't stop laughing at that. I was going to write something but I guess I won't be able to do anything sensible for next half an hour.
2nd Lieutenant Hell Baron, Body Count: 43879
Wins:[1|7|1|0|0] Deaths: [7|90|26|16|2] Badges:[18|10|4|0|0]
Highest Score: 214763
Currently Doing: AoB HNTR

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: August 29, 2012, 02:14 »

I love the "His most notable skill is staring blankly for undefined amount of time."

Also, holy Throne! Our GM is a greenskin!

Silharr as The Game "Master" - "Absolutely! I'm da boss!"

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 35