Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 04:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Americans are stupid. Why?  (Read 4932 times)

RKade8583

• Private
  • "I hate." Patton Oswalt
    • View Profile
    • The Other Roguelike I Play
Americans are stupid. Why?
« on: April 15, 2012, 03:00 »

http://commonsenseconspiracy.com/2012/04/many-young-people-dont-know-the-titanic-was-real-twitter-shows-naive-comments-of-americas-youth-just-a-movie/

I was born in America, I live in America, and I will die in America. I'm glad I live in this country as opposed to some of the less developed countries out there. That being said... what the hell, man?!?! How are my countrymen and women this incredibly stupid? How can it be fixed? Can it be fixed at all?

My wife and I aren't having kids for exactly this reason. We're buying dogs. We don't have to make dogs go to schools filled with idiots like this.

edit: Found a new link. Sorry bout that.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 04:05 by RKade8583 »
Proudly gaming since Dos 2.5 on the Atari 800XL... Doctor's orders.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Re: Americans are stupid. Why?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 03:08 »

Sorry, the page you requested was not found.

In any case, there's plenty of idiots all over the place. I guess the ones in America are just somehow more visible.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 05:24 »

While this is stlil the Off-topic forum, bear in mind the sensitivities involved as people from all walks of life congregate to talk.
I computed, therefore I was.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 05:35 »

It is like with the British people ...they do not learn any languages at all, because in most cases they are fine with only one.
Being the centre of the universe makes the Americans ignore all the stuff that surrounds them. They do not need it to be cool.

Oh, regarding Titanic. The funnier thing is that a LOT of people believe it was the biggest disaster of this kind.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 05:36 by skarczew »

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 07:25 »

Yet another case of the vocal minority being seen as the majority.
A great shame.
Use power for power.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 09:20 »

Actually I'd say this is not per say a case of stupid Americans, but more like stupid teens. These kids live in their own little world of movies and entertainment and don't know shit about what's happening outside of it. Then there are those who are unfortunate enough to be spoiled in their childhood or have irresponsible parents, and they get into real life with completely no experience or knowledge or way too high living standards, and get scammed everywhere and spend the hell outta their money on useless things and depletes before they know it.
Such a shame--but it kinda makes me happy that I, as opposed to these kids, did have a youth where I wasn't kept spoiled and stupid like that.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 09:22 by ParaSait »
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

RKade8583

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 13:13 »

I was sheltered and spoiled but I always looked for knowledge about everything. I still do, in fact. I was one of those kids that talked like an adult to adults. The lack of any kind of intellectual curiosity (and the sheer numbers in which it pervades) is just maddening.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 13:41 »

I don't think that kind of "stupidity" is limited to Americans.  (For that matter, the article you posted doesn't single out Americans)  I think society in most countries generally treats children like they're idiots, which turns into a self-fulfilling prophecy.  No one challenges the kids to do better, so they don't learn anything by their teens and they become the stupid teenagers that ParaSait alluded to.  (and many of those stupid teens grow into stupid adults!)  It all comes from parents who don't bother raising their kids and just trust the TV to do it.  If all parents took a more active role in engaging their kids' attention and encouraging an atmosphere of curiosity and learning, I think the world would be a better, happier, less ignorant place.

My wife and I aren't having kids for exactly this reason. We're buying dogs. We don't have to make dogs go to schools filled with idiots like this.

But the fact that you recognize the problem makes it even more of a good idea for you to have children!  Because you can help fight the tide of ignorance filling the world.  (And your country)

And if you don't like the idea of sending them to public school, might I suggest home-schooling?

Sure, this means your kids will be the brainier, less popular kids, and it takes a lot of work and a lot more involvement on your part, but I think you'll find the results to be a lot more rewarding.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

RKade8583

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 15:30 »

My wife's brother and sister are home-schooled and she's well familiar with it. From what I'm told, they're not the geeky over-achieving home-schooled kids... They were like that before they got into home-schooling. Nowadays there are plenty of ways for home-schooled kids to socialize such as groups that do field trips just for home-school kids and sports leagues.

For the record, though, we're not having kids because of other kids but also because of laws pertaining to discipline and both of our bodies and mental health. I firmly believe that 10% of parents love their kids and their lives. We would not be in that 10% even if our bodies did work (and trust me, they don't.)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 03:16 »

I agree with Tormuse that stupidity is not an American thing, it's a part of humanity I guess. I'm a parent of 2 young kids myself, and you better believe I'm raising them to think for themselves instead of relying on others (or worse, devices) to do their thinking for them. I realise we're living on a crowded globe - which is why I'm sticking to 2 kids, one to succeed each parent - but if I'd let that sole fact detain me from having kids at all, the number of 'stupid' kids would rise a little, relatively speaking.

And indeed, it's definitely not the kids that are to blame: I've never been in a physical fight for my entire life, but boy would I relish the opportunity to punch some parents on the nose. I believe there should be parenting exams, with a minimum pass grade to be allowed to have children, if not for the benefit of the world then for said children themselves. I also believe that neutering should be part of our legal system (provided the system is fair and just). And once that's in place, we can talk post-natal abortion ;)

The last bit's bullshit of course, but I really think that raising children isn't getting the public attention that it should get.

Oh and in regard to the issue that set this off: be very VERY aware of the heavily coloured lens through which media are presented to you. Sure you can find 20/50/100 kids who didn't know the Titanic was real, who have no clue as to what WWI and II were about (or who were participants) or who think God put fossils in the ground in order to mislead us.
There will be at least as many kids who do know their facts, but they're not exciting enough to do an article about. So the moral of the story is the same: thou shalt think for thyself.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]
Pages: [1]