Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 09:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Universal installator  (Read 2206 times)

pacmanus

Universal installator
« on: May 09, 2012, 23:13 »

Why not make a common installer for the version with high quality and low, so that you can deploy any of the options from a single installer?

Thexare

• Elder
  • Captain
  • I think I need a new favorite gun now...
    • View Profile
Re: Universal installator
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 02:30 »

I would guess the main reason for the distinct downloads is filesize and bandwidth. A combined installer would have to be somewhere around the size of the high-quality version anyway, likely bigger barring oddities of compression, thus negating the advantage and primary purpose of the two versions - indeed, making the bandwidth issue even worse when dealing with people who would otherwise only bother installing the low-quality version.

But keep in mind, that's just speculation.
Former Human Corporal
1/42 M, 7/60 S, 3/30 A
[ 6 / 1 / 0 / 0 / 0 ]

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 06:26 »

Nothing is impossible [yet] -- the installer is, I think, something new that was only deployed for 0.9.9.6 release.   But yes, the main reason for the separate downloads is to reduce issues on bandwidth.  As funny as it sounds, in this time and age, there are still people who don't have broadband internet access.
I computed, therefore I was.

pacmanus

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 03:31 »

Of course, I realize that the separation of versions is to reduce the requirements for the Internet connection.
 But here's the full installer could include the possibility of installing a lightweight version - for example to make two installations for different needs, different is not pumping assembly, if you already have the installer itself.
Pages: [1]