Chaosforge Forum

• April 24, 2024, 23:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: The Wall Strategy  (Read 13983 times)

wisnoskij

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
The Wall Strategy
« on: April 16, 2012, 06:32 »

So I have been looking around the forums for a little while and have seen the strategy for The Wall explained a few times in very little detail.
Apparently, with a Rocket Launcher and a moderately high number of rockets (heard 30) anyone should be able to beat The Wall with no damage taken.

Yes I can get into a rhythm and kill a few of the monsters with the rocket launcher (knock them back, reloaded, they appear at edge of vision, repeat), with at least minimal damage taken. I have even gotten close to using up my 3 stacks of rockets and still had no luck.

But sooner rather then latter it always ends up with multiple coming at me from slightly different angles, I miss a shot and suddenly I am surrounded and getting 3+ hell missiles lobbed at me per turn (sometimes I even just miss a few times in a row for a single demon and that is enough for him to get close and do a lot or damage).
I have even played with newly acquired invulnerability, and even killing most of them right off the bat it is impossible (it only gets more challenging the further back the demons are).

Am playing with a combat shotgun and Fin+Fin+TaN+TaN, on the second difficulty tier.

(note: have actually had more luck with the combat shotgun instead of the rocket launcher, but still quite far away from a victory)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 07:03 by wisnoskij »

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Re: The Wall Strategy
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 07:03 »

I usually take on the Wall using shotguns. Tactical shotgun is preferable, but combat or double shotgun (or both, especially with shell box), works too. In any case, the secret is cornershooting.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 07:06 by Klear »
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Kg

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Celestial Horizon
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 07:13 »

I'm using rocket launcher only to destroy the wall. Then maybe a couple rockets to Barons (if I spam rockets I end up destroying goodies). I think it's safer to use rockets just for opening, then hide behind the corner and corner shoot with shotgun (and then chaingun, if you have the build).

Here's Game Hunter's guide to the Wall: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfT8pjxeS8M - 0.9.9.3, but it's helpful.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 07:16 by Kg »
Hell Baron 2nd Lieutenant
[22|11|4|0|0]
Latest: Eagerness Bronze

2DeviationsOut

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 07:14 »

TaN is a a very weak trait for late-game enemies, as knocking off one or two points of damage is a poor substitute for being able to efficiently kill enemies. I personally use a chaingun for the Wall, or a plasma rifle if I have one. It's more precise, and I'm not crippled by the enemies' armor.

wisnoskij

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 07:15 »

Thanks Klear, I will try that more.
The corner shooting does seem to work pretty well, it just seem that eventually they keep coming and I do not have enough time to reload and refill on health.

As for Tactical Shotty, I have not been getting very many mods in last few playthroughs.
The Double Shotty suggestion surprises me. Doesn't the DS do far less damage far away then the combat (and starting to shoot them far away seems like a useful strategy). Also if you play right hopefully you are in multiple small battles allowing you to reload fully in-between. Not that I do not wish that I had one in the prepared slot for close encounters.

Does the shell box help in reloading somehow? Everything I have read seems to say that it is just a larger stack of ammo. So nice, but easily replaced by having an inventory full of smaller stacks.

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 07:17 »

Does the shell box help in reloading somehow? Everything I have read seems to say that it is just a larger stack of ammo. So nice, but easily replaced by having an inventory full of smaller stacks.
Shell boxes (and all other ammo boxes) allow you to reload a weapon that uses them at a fifth of their original reload time.
Use power for power.

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 07:19 »

1.Break the Wall either on top or bot.Ideally passage should be with a width of 3-4 tiles and 1-2 tiles enter from enemies side.
2.Wait until smth appears, hide behind the corner.Cornershoot it to death.Destroy corpse if desired.
3.Repeat until everything is dead.Collect undamaged loot.

That's how i do it.If passage is good, then no healing is required.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

Kg

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Celestial Horizon
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 07:21 »

I think Shell Box reduces reload time. And I think double shooty is a good idea. First you scout with combat/tactical, and when they get close, swap to double and finish them off. It will deal good damage.
So:

........  // yay spam combat shooty!
###@
####
####

....B... // oh no, he's close! <swap to double shooty>
###@
####
####

..%.... // oh noes, he's so dead!
###@
####
####
Hell Baron 2nd Lieutenant
[22|11|4|0|0]
Latest: Eagerness Bronze

wisnoskij

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 07:22 »

As for TaN, I am following a build I found in the only strategy guide I could find "DoomRL (un)Official Strategy Guide By Thomas Parasiuk".
I had heard about specific builds, thought they were the solution to dying all the time so I have been trying them, to little success.

Offensive Shotgun build:
Fin->Fin->TaN->TaN->Bad->Iro->Iro->Iro
Have you ever tried Hell’s Arena with finesse two and a combat shotgun? It’s the easiest thing in the
world. And if you make a tactical shotgun like described earlier, finesse 2 will make you a walking
death machine. However, without MAD you won’t deal as much damage to end-game enemies and
if you go for reloader (then MAD) instead of ironman, they’re going to kill you a fair bit easier.
Note that anything with really high armour will just laugh off your tactical shotgun attacks, so a
micro launcher (Rocket Launcher + Tech + Tech) or missile launcher (Get it from behind The Wall) is
recommended for Barons that happen to pick up red armour, Viles and bosses.

I have to admit, it does not seem to be making playing any easier (but I have not gotten far with it).

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 07:26 »

Warning - while you were typing 4 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

I guess most if not all the contents of this post are already ninja'd but I'll post it anyway =)

I'm using rocket launcher only to destroy the wall. Then maybe a couple rockets to Barons (if I spam rockets I end up destroying goodies). I think it's safer to use rockets just for opening, then hide behind the corner and corner shoot with shotgun (and then chaingun, if you have the build).

This. I learned not to rely on the launcher after destroying the precious backpack a few times. I thought that one missed rocket is still safe, but the barons tend to open the doors leading to the goodies and somehow my rockets always manage to squeeze there and wreak havoc with the reward.

Another tip is to make a small alcove using a single rocket a few tiles below the hole (or above, depending on where you make it). That way you have somewhere to retreat and continue cornershooting if the knights/barons get dangerously close.

To answer your post:

I used to play a lot of AoHu games where you get one of each mod from start, so I could always mod the combat shotty if I found it. I tend to forget that isn't the case in every game. The combat shotty should be enough, though.

The DS does little damage at greater ranges, that is why you should wait until the enemies get close and then shoot it. It's got a lot of knockback though which should give you enough time to reload and do it again. So shoot with the combat shotty while they are far and once they close, switch to double and knock them back. By that time they should have only little health left and should fall to another almsot point-blank DS blast, I think.

Shell box (and other such items, such as ammo chains) indeed help with reloading - if you have it equipped in your prepared slot, reloading will take only 1/5th of the time it would normally take.

wisnoskij

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 07:27 »

Thanks everyone, I think part of my problem was starting off with the rocket launcher and the switching to the shotty latter (because the initial rocket killings would inevitably widen the hole).

Is there a way to force a gun to use a ammo box instead of a normal stack then, because while I have carried around multiple ammo boxes I do not think I have ever used one (seems to default to the normal ammo).

wisnoskij

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 07:31 »

Another tip is to make a small alcove using a single rocket a few tiles below the hole (or above, depending on where you make it). That way you have somewhere to retreat and continue cornershooting if the knights/barons get dangerously close.
Like.

Shell box (and other such items, such as ammo chains) indeed help with reloading - if you have it equipped in your prepared slot, reloading will take only 1/5th of the time it would normally take.
OK, I think that answers my "how do you use ammo boxes" question.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 07:33 »

Is there a way to force a gun to use a ammo box instead of a normal stack then, because while I have carried around multiple ammo boxes I do not think I have ever used one (seems to default to the normal ammo).

You need to equip it as if it was a weapon. It will be automatically placed in your prepared slot (you can never have an ammo box as your primary weapon, obviously). Any realoads of the correct type will then by automatically taken from the ammo box, with the exception of reloads on the move provided by shottyman, which will still take from your regular ammo reserves as long as you have any. If you want to remove the ammo box from your prepared slot, you need to to it from the (e)quipment screen.
There is no other way to take ammo from the boxes, except (U)nloading them, which converts them into standard ammo stacks (the box and all the advantages it brings will be lost if you do).

Edit: Selfninja'd!

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 10:28 »

As for TaN, I am following a build I found in the only strategy guide I could find "DoomRL (un)Official Strategy Guide By Thomas Parasiuk".
I had heard about specific builds, thought they were the solution to dying all the time so I have been trying them, to little success.

I have to admit, it does not seem to be making playing any easier (but I have not gotten far with it).

I'm pretty sure that guide is super old. Just sayin'.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

wisnoskij

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 10:33 »

It seems that last update was for 0.9.9.3, no idea what has changed since then gameplay wise.

But I was able to get past The Wall using the tips here, thanks everyone. I now have a tactical shotty, missile launcher (with a sniper upgrade), an elephant gun, and lots of ammo and health.
The game seems a lot easier after I got past that initial hump.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All