Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 16:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: The Wall Strategy  (Read 13848 times)

Zecks

• Speedrunner
  • Elder
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: The Wall Strategy
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 10:42 »

missile launcher (with a sniper upgrade)

but the missile launcher already has +10 accuracy! so unless you find a second pack to negate the out-of-fov penalty it's useless.
(0.9.9.6) Arch-Vile General
[23/21/16/13/5]

wisnoskij

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 10:45 »

but the missile launcher already has +10 accuracy! so unless you find a second pack to negate the out-of-fov penalty it's useless.

Probably should of checked that, I was missing so much with the original rocket launcher and it was teh onyl gun that would accept it (and I needed space).

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 11:20 »

A great mod for the missile launcher is the nano mod. Finally a way to make a lot of carnage without worrying about rocket supplies.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

AahRealMonsters

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 09:17 »

Strategy for the wall? Hmmm...

I usually blow a whole in the wall at either the top or bottom sections with the rocket launcher and then use a combination of corner shooting, running backwards, bad language, and praying to god.

I use the rocket launcher in hopes that the enemy will bunch together. Plus the blow back gives me time to reload before they enter firing range. I'd recommend slapping a mod to your launcher to give you an edge. Typically, the rocket launcher is the strongest weapon in my inventory at the time I reach the wall.

And you know what sucks? Blasting through the hordes and discovering that one of your strays went and blew up the valuable goods on the other side of the stage. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

Lz_erk

• Private
  • AAAAAHHHHHH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 22:36 »

All my cornershots seem to push the wrong way, and even strafing with Shottyman, I take more damage than I do using rockets and chainguns [possibly because HNTR is too rough for me].  Can we get a rapid-fire newbie strategy on here?  I'll start, but I make no promises about it being remotely good.

I'm fond of using rockets there, but I never have enough.  Throwing an accuracy mod into the rocket launcher isn't a waste just for The Wall [especially if you have Eagle Eye for a Scavenger build, and if you're an Ammochain Marine, you won't be doing crap with mods anyway], but that alone doesn't do enough to protect the Backpack and Launcher, so I've been carving the wall like this:

Edit, since my BBCode image didn't work:  http://imgur.com/hc0IT

This was a little too high but worked out okay [on ITYTD!] -- you want to breach the middle at a diagonal so you have some wall left to absorb those deadly mid-zone rockets.  Start almost one-third of the way up the wall [with just enough room for a safe shot] and fire diagonally.

Synopsis for Arena and Court: Get the Blue Armor and every last rocket out of the Arena. If possible, equip the armor only when you mod it in The Chained Court.  Spend a rocket on the Arena Master if you want [but don't bother reloading it while he's alive, especially if you're a Marine and can easily berserk-Chainsaw him].  Keep the Chainsaw, and personally I'll take the Staff over a shotgun -- it's weak, but is an instant-use one-slot weapon that can finish off near-death enemies. Put one of the agility mods into the Rocket Launcher and the other into the Blue Armor [you need to be fast to line up good shots or drag them to the "safe" side of the wall].  Take off the Blue Armor, save it for The Wall.  If you don't have a plasma rifle, don't hesitate to drop the Energy Cells if you need space for a third armor, another health pack, or anything else -- you'll get plenty of BFG chow later, and in backpacked stacks.

For The Wall:  Blast the wall open at a diagonal so you have more sharp corners to hide behind while reloading and swapping guns.  This should make it easier to get off diagonal or obstructed shots that won't endanger your goodies.  If you get two or more acidic satyrs on you at once, try blasting one of them closer to you so you can chainsaw it.  Chaingunning wounded ones should be easy, but make sure to wait a few turns, as stray shots could bring more in.  Don't forget phasing and the staff.

Let me know if this is bad.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 23:05 by Lz_erk »
If NetHack was difficult, what the hell is DoomRL?

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 23:47 »

I'm fond of using rockets there, but I never have enough.
For The Wall:  Blast the wall open at a diagonal so you have more sharp corners to hide behind while reloading and swapping guns.

I usally take a shotgun to the wall, but the chaingun strategy is actually the same (take SOB instead of REL). However, both (excessively) using rockets and going for the diagonal strike me as bad ideas.

If you blast a straight line through, at either the top or bottom, you'll have 1 incredibly big corner to hide behind. In your image, the nearest cover is at least 4 steps away and you have very poor view of what's going on behind the wall, causing you to only see the knights when they are likely to be too close for comfort.

Once you have your tunnel, step into it a bit, and a) get to the opposite corner and use a rocket (in a direction as vertical as possible) or b) wait inside the tunnel until something shows itself, step out of its view and fire at it. You'll hear if you've hurt it, which is the sign for you to retreat around your big corner and cornershoot it with the chaingun.
Alternatively, simply take 1 shotgun and a stack of shells, since radarshooting is reeeeeally easy with it, allowing you to lure everything to your cherished corner.

In my experience the rocket launcher has done more bad than good at the Wall (except for blasting through it of course), and if you have the right skills to handle either the chaingun or the shotgun, it's really easy if you don't rush into it and draw the knights away from the main area.

[EDIT] Take another look at your image. Chances are very good that you can't find a position where you can fire at enemies without being in the line of fire yourself: if you go to the bottom, you'll be in full view of both knights if you want to maintain a position from which to fire; if you go to the top, the only way you are going to be able to hit something without getting seen is when the rightmost knight moves south at least once. If he heads dead east, you won't be getting a shot in until it's on top of you.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 00:11 by LuckyDee »
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 03:29 »

Can we get a rapid-fire newbie strategy on here?

Shotguns until you a.) have your master trait or b.) find a good rapidfire weapon. Shotguns like Rel(2), so it's how I lead up to mAC. Cateye, on the other hand, can pretty much do as it pleases; masterless can take Eagle Eye; no one uses Entrenchment.

and if you're an Ammochain Marine, you won't be doing crap with mods anyway]

Dunno about anyone else, but almost all of my mAC marines wind up with WK(2). They like hyperblasters and super-modded plasma rifles as much as the next guy, and Fin(2) or (3) turns you into a blender.

Synopsis for Arena and Court:

Even if you are a melee class, I wouldn't put Marines above other classes in the run-forward-and-chainsaw strategy for the Arena Master, especially as he's so easy to piss off and drag back to a safe spot to corner-shoot. I'd actually recommend A-modding your boots and saving the other for a rainy day. Or a plasma rifle. Or I suppose an assault weapon, if you really wanted.

Also, I don't think the staff is instant-use.

I like trying to zig-zag (sort of, it's more of a gentle twist) a tunnel through The Wall near the top, though it's a little hard to practice, especially as I'm usually not thinking about it when I hit The Wall. Done right, you could have your first corner for poking a shotgun around, your first fallback once they're mad and you can wait for them to start filing around the corner, and then the near side of the Wall to run behind if you're really screwed and need a few seconds. Rapid-fire builds should also probably pick up several spare loaded guns if you can't reload very fast.

Alternatively, what LuckyDee said. Never underestimate the shotgun's power to make demons angry.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 03:50 »

Also, if the wall (or any special level for that matter) gives you trouble, feel free to skip it. In time you'll get better and can tackle it without a problem.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Lz_erk

• Private
  • AAAAAHHHHHH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 15:18 »

Tested on HNTR just now, worked on the first try [not counting the previous game, which gave me zero items, and I died in the Arena].  Only went through one armor and a small health pack -- I was slightly lucky, but keeping them in knockback was a breeze, even though there were two Barons and two Knights right on the other side when I punched through the wall.  I only fell back on the chaingun when I knew the next rocket would put one into mortally wounded or almost dead.  I would have brought a shotgun to help lure them, but I'm one level away from Ammochain and have a lot of goodies [which just got a lot easier to carry].  I second the zigzag/carefully sculpted passage idea, if you have the rockets for it -- and my "start from the bottom with barely enough room" passage is a bit too low unless you have enough rockets to shape the walls a little more comfortably.

I'm not gonna up and say this works on higher difficulties, but I'm satisfied.  Thanks folks.

About modules: I'd mod boots, but I never find them this early.  And there was a problem with my last WK(2) mAC that got me deeply irritated with Whizkid -- I couldn't make any decent items, even when I got the mods for them, the item would reject the mods.  I don't know what's going on there.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 15:22 by Lz_erk »
If NetHack was difficult, what the hell is DoomRL?

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 15:31 »

Also, if the wall (or any special level for that matter) gives you trouble, feel free to skip it.
What is this heresy?! >:O

I used to not bother carrying a double shotgun, but lately I've been using it more, and it's really nice when corner shooting at the Wall.  If something gets too close, just knock it back several squares and go back to the regular shotgun (or lucky combat shotgun).  Corner-shooting with the chaingun can also kill the hell knights decently if you have some trigger happy or eagle eye levels, but the barons aren't so easy.

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 16:50 »

if you have the rockets for it

hell's arena

And there was a problem with my last WK(2) mAC that got me deeply irritated with Whizkid -- I couldn't make any decent items, even when I got the mods for them, the item would reject the mods.  I don't know what's going on there.

Don't let a single failure discourage you.

Armor and boots cannot be modded twice with the same mod unless it will create an assembly. Weapons cannot be modded more than three times with most mods.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

Creaphis

• Backer
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 17:58 »

Posting here just to complain that Hell's Arena in Angel of Light Travel gives you superfluous ammo boxes when it should give you a rocket launcher and rocket box.

Carry on!

Xtremekiwi

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2012, 22:31 »

Just out of curiosity, how is one supposed to get through the wall on AoMr/Sh? Because maybe I would like to do it on a regular run on one of those Ao's. Plus the backpack would be a major boon. Note that I'm not asking for help with the enemies themselves, just the wall itself.

Creepy

• First Sergeant
  • Duelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2012, 22:36 »

Phase devices and supplication to the RNG.
Formerly Hell Knight Warrant Officer [16|7|5|1|0]
Currently Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant [18|10|3|0|0]
Current Goal: ???

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 01:04 »

Or the Anti-Freak Jackal.

Or four wave packs.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
[Inferno] ITYTD Win
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All