Chaosforge Forum

• March 19, 2024, 01:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: The Inferno Module  (Read 110277 times)

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
Re: The Inferno Module
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2012, 23:05 »

Today is the first day I've had time to give this a really good try.  After a bunch of failed Nightmare games, I decided to try UV and this is my best YASD so far:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm trying to avoid spoilers by reading other people's posts in this thread, so I didn't know what to expect.  I was going for YAAM Conqueror to fully test the new levels in the mod, but needless to say, I was completely unprepared for the Blood Temple, (as soon as I saw the message "you pull the trigger, but nothing happens," I thought, "Oh crap, I should've taken a melee build")  :P  but I wouldn't have it any other way, because the ominous setup for that level made it all the more exciting!  :D  (Like Delta labs in Doom 3!)  :)

I took the Shotgun loadout with a Scavenger build (with a few levels in SOB at the beginning to help save ammo)  ;)  and despite the grief I gave the Shotgun loadout earlier in this thread, it actually held up pretty well.  (even though I didn't encounter any Former Humans or Former Captains until level 4, so I wasn't able to use bullets until then)

The Spawning Pits were kind of ridiculous, but still lots of fun,  (What?  More Queens?  I knew this looked too easy!)  :P  and the Aegis was a neat addition to my equipment.

I liked the addition of Spectres in the mix of enemies but I'd like to suggest that they should probably be revealed by Tracking Maps.  I almost left a level without killing them, which would have cost me my YAAM, because I thought there were no more enemies.  (Perhaps they could be revealed as Inuition-style stars until you're up close?)

All in all, it's quite an exciting and well put together mod!  I'm looking forward to trying again with a melee build this time.  :)
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2012, 02:13 »

Decided to give it a try and my best so far:
Starting with berserker loadout currently seems like the best idea to me now.

Added: the first time i got to lvl2:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 02:20 by AlterAsc »
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2012, 20:59 »

The berserker loadout does work pretty well... especially as you don't have to bother with it once you escape the first room, which is hardly a problem. The two points of armor and vastly superior healing make an enormous difference. As Hell's Keep is now, the shotgun pack is just worthless, and the 'standard' is probably only best if you're going pistol. But hey, who knows, YMMV.

Several basements seem to be rewards for finding an invulnerability near the stairs or an obscenely early BFG. Antenora leaps immediately to mind; it just doesn't compare to, say, Doomtrain, Fool's Tomb, or even Echoes of Babylon. Hellfire Furnace, Crossroads, and Warp Core are all almost as bad.

I'm managing to do all right with Int->mBM, but I don't know how well Acheron would have gone.

I probably should have double-checked my armor and not hoped to get mBM right away, but still. The last time I went into Antenora - on HNTR - I barely survived... as a Marine... with a firestorm hyperblaster... and a five-step-old invul.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2012, 10:15 »

I decided to give it a whirl with my favourite build, Vampyre.  :)  I was doing quite well up until that last room, where I opened the door and was face to face with 4 Mancubi!  The first barrage killed me, even though the first hit made me berserk.  I might have had better chance of survival if I had put levels into Ironman, or if I had played with the Staff of Souls less.  :P  (Hey, I didn't know what it did!)

EDIT: 

Did I mention that this is a fun mod?  :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 01:17 by Tormuse »
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

2DeviationsOut

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2012, 08:40 »

So, I decided to go all out and go for a N! win. I think I missed a special level, but I'm satisfied with the overall result.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 09:03 by 2DeviationsOut »

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2012, 10:52 »

I think 2dev mentioned in IRC that he had mAC by the hydra queen...

Earlier difficulties have you struggling with fewer traits as it gets harder, whereas later difficulties might have harder beginnings, but then you have really early masters propelling you past certain breakpoints. Just like the regular game, I suppose.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

2DeviationsOut

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2012, 11:52 »

Well, I finished up a UV 100% Damageless Conqueror Inferno game. I particularly loved using my A1H2P1T1 Minigun. Mortem follows.

RSO

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2012, 14:44 »

Well, I finished up a UV 100% Damageless Conqueror Inferno game.

It didn't take you very long to adjust to new enemies, new level layouts, and a fundamental change to the AI (they have to be alerted first), did it? XD
9.9.6 Cacodemon Sergent Major (Wins: 0, 2, 0, 1, 0)
Badges: 14 | 5 | 4 | 1 | 0

9.9.5 Arch-Vile Captain (22 | 15 | 7 | 2 | 1)

2DeviationsOut

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2012, 18:16 »

Not really. In fact, they were a lot easier with the wakeup enemies, since I could pop into sight of the enemies and slaughter them all before they could react. Although, I'm loving this mod. So much fun!

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2012, 20:46 »

I'd like to suggest [spectres] they should probably be revealed by Tracking Maps.

Good idea; this will probably be in the next version.

So, I decided to go all out and go for a N! win. [...]

Well, I finished up a UV 100% Damageless Conqueror Inferno game. [...]

Wow.

@Everyone: I'm enjoying looking at all the mortems, suggestions, bug reports etc.  I will try to give everything due consideration for the next version.

mihey1993

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2012, 01:05 »

Got 2 errors on level with Carnival of Death - think that they exist only cuz of existance of this special level, but you would understand it better
1st

2nd error
Cyberdemon Br.General
[26/23/18/5/1]
Wanna complete any N! game with 90% or more kills...

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2012, 09:27 »

One other thing I forgot to mention:  Since you've been differentiating the wake-up sounds from the roaming sounds for the enemies, I should probably point out that in the original Doom 2, Revenants had their own roaming sound, different from their wake-up sound.
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2012, 10:11 »

N! was too hard for me, so switched to UV.Result:
Don't understand why not 100%, because i made sure to clear all levels.Well, whatever.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

mihey1993

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2012, 13:58 »

Another one stupid death )) Maybe it's not so stupid as I think, but I was all in preparations to tomorrow's exam, so I haven't mentioned my Gothic Armor disappered(mean was destructed). Got two random-event levels, again Carnival of Death - for shotgunner with Elephant Gun(which RNG gave me on level with Carnival) it's rather easy. I decided to take Berserker+tans to be practically invulnerable, so Singularity was really easy, and Unholy Altar also wasn't a big problem(Chainsaw+3xTaN+4xBru+Ber) and as a very big gift I got Longinus Spear. It could be really good 100% UV Conqueror game as I think, but it's all my impatience T_T.
Mortem is attached
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 21:16 by mihey1993 »
Cyberdemon Br.General
[26/23/18/5/1]
Wanna complete any N! game with 90% or more kills...

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2012, 16:33 »

Got 2 errors on level with Carnival of Death - think that they exist only cuz of existance of this special level, but you would understand it better

These errors are very surprising because there are no levers in the Carnival of Death.  Do you remember more about what was happening at the exact moment of these errors?

One other thing I forgot to mention:  Since you've been differentiating the wake-up sounds from the roaming sounds for the enemies, I should probably point out that in the original Doom 2, Revenants had their own roaming sound, different from their wake-up sound.

Excellent observation.  I'll fix this in the next release.

Don't understand why not 100%, because i made sure to clear all levels.Well, whatever.

There is some juggling going on with kills that could cause problems (though most of it is basement-related).  Also, there are ways for monsters to get onto a level after clearing it... but I doubt that could account for the full discrepancy without you noticing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10