Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 02:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: The Inferno Module  (Read 110698 times)

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The Inferno Module
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2012, 20:34 »

And if I'll nuke the whole level there will be no secrets? Also, I'm using the G version, it's rather funny when you see a soulsphere that's trying to kill you(Nhydra). Nonrandom, heh, that means i must go through acidpits and so on...

I don't think nuking will help find secrets... it will usually cause the secrets to just be destroyed (although one of them may not handle it ideally).

Yes, I think you understand what I mean by non-random.

I'll try to have more of the G-version sprites make sense for the next version.

VANDAM

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2012, 20:45 »

Code: [Select]
   if player.eq.weapon and player.eq.weapon.id == "chainsaw" then
maybe pickup check is better? or just inv check?
And yet, on the welcome screen you can choose your weps, but, if you choose knife you can then pickup shotgun and it will be a sort of cheat.
Can I find those secrets without destroing walls?
P.S. only for Tehtmi
Now, it's time for lvl 41.
Fuuu...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 00:33 by VANDAM »
[16/17] AAo666 left.^W
Deleted and started again.
[4/17] And now I've got AAo666 (hate this challenge very much).

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2012, 20:58 »

Code: [Select]
   if player.eq.weapon and player.eq.weapon.id == "chainsaw" then
maybe pickup check is better? or just inv check?
And yet, on the welcome screen you can choose your weps, but, if you choose knife you can then pickup shotgun and it will be a sort of cheat.

If I was doing it again, I'd probably use the level OnPickup hook, but that didn't exist when I originally wrote the level.  I didn't want to have any of the chainsaw hooks have level-specific code if possible, as that seems like poor encapsulation.  Inventory check during OnTick doesn't work since the chainsaw is immediately equipped.  Although, I guess the current system would fail if the player had a cursed weapon already.

I have mixed feelings about the melee loadout.  I think on UV and N! the difficulty of getting to the shotgun might be a deterrent, but I have considered removing the shotgun if the melee loadout is chosen.

P.S. only for Tehtmi

I decided that trying to spend time trying to hide it well was a waste of time.  No matter what I do it won't be hard to figure out, so I just did the bare minimum to discourage reading the file.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 00:11 by tehtmi »

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2012, 01:24 »

I just don't want to make knowing the secrets too swingy.

If anything, they're not swingy enough.

I have an idea or two on how to make knowing the secrets more of a reward, which sort of goes hand-in-hand with a few thoughts I've had about the mod in general. Namely, that it's stingy compared to DoomRL. Hardly any guaranteed mod packs, very little guaranteed health, the only half decent guaranteed weapon is late in the game, and the Hellfire Pack is great for the two levels you get to use it.

Most basements are exclusions from this 'stingy' factor, but they rely on luck more than anything else - the game has to give you handy items that don't exactly drop like rain, e.g. tons of health and armor, and/or neat exotic weapons, and/or special consumables like ammo boxes or invulnerability globes. This is before your build and gear determines whether or not you have a shot at it at all - a primary factor for some seems to be having great move/attack speeds/dps, for example... and also before the game decides whether or not to spawn the right basements. It's kind of cool to have these 'bonus levels', but random spawn-or-not chances were removed outright from DoomRL Vanilla, so...
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

VANDAM

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2012, 01:46 »

I've got a couple of questions all are about levels:
Is the abyssboss1, abyssboss2, 41 accessible?
[16/17] AAo666 left.^W

mihey1993

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2012, 05:44 »

Was playing UV malicious blade run, with 2 butcher's cleavers and antigrav phase boots, on 22 level of hell with 100% kills and conqueror run, when game gave me this error, closed itself, and on try to continue from save(which was created on shutdown of game) it said that savefile is corrupted T___T

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cyberdemon Br.General
[26/23/18/5/1]
Wanna complete any N! game with 90% or more kills...

Motorheadbanger

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2012, 07:20 »

I've got Hydra's Heart :-P I also found the mod depot lever o_O

VANDAM

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2012, 08:18 »

I've got Hydra's Heart :-P I also found the mod depot lever o_O
There are many mod deports, if rng is good.
[16/17] AAo666 left.^W

Motorheadbanger

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2012, 08:34 »

Found a bug! In the mortem there was a funny line 'On level 7 he the Fool's Tomb'. You know, like
- On level 7, he accidentally the Fool's Tomb.
- What?
- The Fool's Tomb.

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2012, 20:21 »

I know the cause of the feature_warp crash; I hope to have a bug fix release fairly soon.

I've got a couple of questions all are about levels:
Is the abyssboss1, abyssboss2, 41 accessible?

These are not accessible in the current version.  They may never be accessible in their current forms.  (41 isn't done anyway)

VANDAM

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2012, 01:18 »

And now I've got a suggestion.
Maybe it'll be possible in future.
make a 2 floor lvl with keys.
for example: on the first floor there will be a red door(exit), yellow with a blue key. On the 2nd floor there will be blue door with blue key.
If now it's not possible to make a key you can use a lever event /arena master staff event. IDK whether it's possible or not to have multifloor lvls(but you made basements)
This idea was born when i saw basement lvls.
Also, if there will be BF_MELEE, BF_PISTOL, BF_SHOTGUN effect you can turn the welcome screen into challange selection and it's really easy to add mortem events such as AoB...
Now, BF_IMPATIENT BF_DARKNESS are possible
And some hardcore stuff like BF_NOHEAL with BF_REGENERATE I think, or it will be hm... uneasy.
Angel of stupidity BF_NOMELEE (%
BF_MAXDAMAGE if it's possible to give it to every monster.
P.S. If you want, I can write some features for your mod, I'm truly interested in donating code for RL projects.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:41 by VANDAM »
[16/17] AAo666 left.^W

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2012, 20:35 »

Multiscreen/multifloor levels are kind of a sensitive subject, so I'm not sure how far I want to go in that direction.  There is no support for them in the engine; inferno does all the book-keeping for basements manually.  Keys are definitely doable in a variety of ways, and I've considered them several times.

The welcome level did allow selection of challenges in some of the old alphas, but I wasn't happy with just duplicating DoomRL's challenges.  I have some ideas in this direction as well, but I'd also be interested in what other people think.  I'm not a big fan of weapon challenges, as these can be self-enforced.  I'd rather track these for all games and note in the mortem that the player accomplished the weapon restriction with an award.

I appreciate your offer to help with coding, but for now I'd like to keep coding on my own.  I've found that the biggest bottleneck in inferno development is coming up with new ideas and playing and evaluating them rather than the implementation side, so I'm most interested in hearing ideas and people's playing experiences.

VANDAM

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2012, 22:43 »

About suggestions:
I think it would be great if you'll make a secret level like exm9 in PC doom. There can be more than one secret tunnels of course. Also, secrets may be generated randomly and the can hide dangerous monsters... Just imagine, you open a secret and then you find your favorite bfg-cyberdemon, so cute...
About challenges, just for fun it'll be interesting to make Angel of [monster], and you restricted to monster characteristics/traits[i don't think about them], you play Vile and ressurect a monster, he fights for you. You play as zombie, equip armor and pistols[ just a dead doomer heh], or while you're playing demon you're in a permament berserk state+vampire and etc.
Angel of minimal damage, you do only min dmg, monsters do original/maximal.
Angel of chaos, you start from the river[hello cheaters], then you go through every non-random level, with 1 correction, basement levels are generated+some stuff.
Add a monster like Vile/Apostle... which can turn you into a chicken for a short period of time [they're dark mages huh]
Make a monster that looks like item[Nightmare hydras in G version] and they'll attack only when you near them[and info will show that it's an item].
Make a boss challenge, every lvl generates it's own boss with unique or exotic item.
Angel of morale, you kill enemy => you lose health.
Cursed levers, your equipment sticks to you, or smthg else. You push a lever then you die, poor rng.
Cursed challenge is good too, you start with cursed but good armor and weapons.
Invisible monsters should be visible under track map/int2 effect, while they are invisible you must have an opportunity to kill them, but, as far as i can remember, they are invincible while invisible.
More suggestions/bugs later.
[16/17] AAo666 left.^W

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2012, 00:15 »

I've uploaded a new version in the first post: 0.15.1

This is mostly a bugfix release.  I also spent some time making the graphics more presentable, although there are still plenty of issues I need to get to (and plenty more that will probably need to wait until the next DoomRL release).

The main balance concern for me at the moment seems to be experience inflation.  I'm thinking of implementing something Game Hunter suggested to me: reducing all experience by some factor (possibly depending on difficulty level).  The DoomRL experience : level curve is a bit weird, but it seems exponential-ish, so this would probably reduce character level by a roughly the same amount at each point in the game.  This seems like a big change, though, so I didn't push it in for this release.

Invisible monsters should be visible under track map/int2 effect, while they are invisible you must have an opportunity to kill them, but, as far as i can remember, they are invincible while invisible.

The invincible while invisible aspect is something I've grown to like.  (It's also hard or difficult for a module to implement proper invisibility that works any other way.)  I think spectres would be pointless if they could be killed by wildly spewing shotgun blasts before they even got close.

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2012, 09:34 »

The DoomRL XP/Level Curves

The second image excludes the last 6 levels.

XP on Y-Axis, Level on X-Axis
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10