Chaosforge Forum

• March 18, 2024, 22:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: The Inferno Module  (Read 110271 times)

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
Re: The Inferno Module
« Reply #120 on: May 10, 2017, 18:48 »

There's two possible things that could be wrong here. One: I'm being too mean, and players should gain more levels overall, or more levels early on, or whatever compared to what I've listed in these tables. (It sounds like this is probably true...) Two: Experience values could be falling short of these expected benchmarks.

It's hard to say what "should" be.  As it is, it's a very tough game, but then, if I want something easier, I can play at an easier difficulty level.  :)  I'm currently trying to record another (non-melee) game at UV and I'll probably skip Blood Temple this time and forget about getting Conqueror.  In its current form, I don't think it's possible to get Conqueror in this game without a melee build; hitting Blood Temple at character level 3 means you just barely have enough time to get Berserker trait.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 18:49 by Tormuse »
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 16, 2017, 15:19 »

Here's the mortem for my latest, most successful non-melee UV game.  (Video available by request; it's a little less than two hours)

Spoiler: Mortem (click to show/hide)

If I'd used that last med pack at the end, I would have had a chance, but it was my last one in a game where med packs were always in short supply so I did a badly timed reload instead.  Oh well...

I'm curious about something:  On one of the levels, I had the level feeling, "You feel jumpy," and I thought that meant that I was about to start randomly teleporting, since I remembered that someone said something about teleportitis earlier in this thread, but nothing actually happened.  Was I supposed to start teleporting?  Is that a feature you got rid of?

Another level feeling I got:  "Hungry eyes peer at you from the darkness."  Never figured out what that meant either, mind you that's the level I died on, so maybe I just didn't get the chance to find out.
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Errant

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 26, 2017, 11:16 »

Links are dead, can we have a reupload?

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 26, 2017, 11:41 »

Sorry about that, I'll fix it when I get home this evening. (Busy with holiday things...)

Edit: Links in the first post have been updated. Still need to release 0.16.0, but I'll try to get to it soon.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 22:37 by tehtmi »

Errant

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 27, 2017, 05:22 »

Thanks! I guess I should have waited a week or two until holiday season was over but I didn't think, sorry.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 01, 2018, 17:08 »

For no particular reason, I felt like playing the Inferno mod again lately.  After a bunch of games of varying difficulty and builds failed early on, I had this somewhat more successful game at UV in an Army of the Dead build.

Notes from this run:

I only entered Blood Temple because I was already berserk and had a phase device.  (Otherwise, I would have ignored it)  I just grabbed the Chainsaw and ran.

I didn't realize that this mod adds extra assemblies until the end, when I happened to glance at the assembly screen.  I stumbled across the Scout Armour assembly by accident, by putting random mods on my armour.  I never figured out what the "targeting system online" message meant, though.

I probably should have pushed forward faster during Acheron, because enemies were accumulating, thanks to bodies getting washed up toward the Arch-Viles, which I just couldn't friggin' find.  After I used my last med pack, I decided to give up and homing phase out.  Unfortunately, there was a sizeable crowd around the exit and I died in the same turn that I used the homing phase device.  :(

[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 12, 2019, 13:08 »

I've been playing this mod from time to time lately, experimenting with different builds, still hoping to have a successful non-melee UV game and this one was more successful than most as a masterless Technician build with standard load-out.

I was really fond of the synergy between the Lava Armor and the Aegis; any time the armour got damaged, I could use the Aegis to stand on lava for a bit to repair it...  so I was a bit dismayed when the Shadow Orb in Eberus unexpectedly converted the Aegis into a "Shadow Aegis" which gives invisibility instead of environmental protection.  That's still a nice bonus, but it didn't fit the strategy I was using and I'd already thrown away all my extra armour.  :|

I entered the Singularity invulnerable and I took advantage of that to rocket-jump to each of the portals to close them before anyone could react, so there were fewer enemies for me to deal with.  :)

Unlike my previous game, I made a point of charging forward in Acheron so I could take out the Arch-Viles before they could raise too many corpses.  I took advantage of the invisibility effect of the Shadow Aegis to run past most of the enemies.  Everything was going great up until everything went wrong in an instant when a stray shot from a Baron broke through a wall I had been using as cover and released a bunch of Mancubi on the other side and the ensuing barrage of rockets destroyed all other possible cover.  I was just barely able to get to the exit with 6% health and no medpacks.  After that, I died from an Arachnotron barrage after going around a blind corner.

[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2019, 09:44 »

So I played Inferno mod again, trying to win UV with a non-melee build, which is feeling more and more overly ambitious.  Nevertheless, I got even further than my previous game.  :)

In Singularity, I used the invisibility effect granted by the Shadow Aegis to sneak past enemies and shut down two of the portals, but I was overwhelmed before I could get to the other two and had to leave early.  Up 'til that point, I had 100% kills.

In Acheron, I was doing okay for a while, but couldn't get to the last few(?) Arch-Viles and I realized that the bodies being raised from the river, in addition to not giving you experience, don't even drop any ammo!  So I was depleting my resources without any gain.  Once I ran out of med packs, I decided it was time to homing phase out.  The fact that ammo is limited neatly highlights the fact that melee builds have a *huge* advantage in this mod.  As much as I'd like to prove that it's doable without melee, I might just try a melee build next.

In the end, the opposition in Ptolomea was just too much for me.  I tried to homing phase out, but for some reason, it didn't teleport me to the exit.  I was surrounded with no cover and died very quickly.

[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 25, 2019, 03:40 »

So I tried a game with my favourite build, Vampyre, and it reinforced what I said above that melee builds are basically easy mode in this mod.  (Relatively speaking; it still took several tries for me to get to Vampyre trait)  In fact, it was even easier than I realized, because I discovered that getting melee kills while invisible (like with using the Shadow Aegis) doesn't wake enemies up!  :o  On Ptolomea, the level that absolutely destroyed me in the previous game, I was able to kill about 3/4 of the enemies without any opposition.  (I had the Longinus Spear by that point, so everything died from one hit; I basically snuck around the whole map, silently backstabbing everyone)  :D

I was four kills shy of YAAM, thanks to some guys that spawned during my fight with the Simulacrum.  *Sigh...*  :|

I don't know if anyone is still maintaining this mod, but I see a couple of minor errors.  The final kill count is correct, but the in-game kill count from the @ screen got messed up when I went down one of the blue stairs while there were still enemies on the level.  It showed 23 unkilled enemies for the rest of the game, even though I killed everything.  Also, I notice that I'm credited as getting the Betrayal Token twice.

This is still a fun mod.  :)  I wonder if I can find another build that works.

[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Gushwin

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 10, 2022, 09:49 »

DoomRL: Inferno
"A difficult module for DoomRL version 0.9.9.6"

download 0.15.1 (raw)
download 0.15.1 (wad)

Old Versions:

Game Hunter's playthrough video on Youtube

This is a full episode module (~25 levels) with new monsters, new items, new special levels, new random levels, etc.

Graphics mode support is still a work in progress both in Inferno and in DoomRL itself (for mods at least), but if you're willing to put up with graphical issues, it should be playable.

Some of the sounds included copyrighted material used without permission.  If that makes you uncomfortable, let me know and I'll make a version without sounds available.

Feedback is very welcome. Praise, criticism, bug-reports, balance suggestions, screenshots, YASDs, YAVPs: bring 'em on!

Have fun!

Version History:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

FAQ:
Q:  Which version should I download?  Raw or wad?

A:  They are about the same size, and they install the same way.  Raw contains the source code.  Wad doesn't work on MacOS.  If one doesn't work for you, try the other.

Q:  DoomRL crashes when I'm done playing your module.  What's going on?

A:  If you are running DoomRL in console mode, a bug in DoomRL itself will cause the game to crash when returning to the main menu from any module.  This is harmless but annoying.  The only known workarounds are to run the game in graphics mode or to set MenuReturn to false in config.lua (which is hardly better).

Can you PLEASE reupload the Module please fix the links

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 11, 2022, 11:38 »

The links seem fine to me. What problem are you having?

Gushwin

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 12, 2022, 17:53 »

can you please update or just re upload or fix links please

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 12, 2022, 18:01 »

I don't understand.

What is the problem? Do you want a 0.9.9.7-compatible version? I can release one, but it will take a little time to assemble.

Or is it a problem with hosting? Re-uploading is going to do nothing. Do you need it hosted somewhere else for some reason?

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 12, 2022, 19:33 »

The current version of Inferno already works with version 0.9.9.7 of DRL.  (The current version of DRL)  I got it from this link that Tehtmi posted on page 8 of this thread.  I've been playing it on version 0.9.9.7 for years, (from time to time) and it's always worked fine.

EDIT:  Here are Tehtmi's instructions from 2017 for getting it working.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 19:35 by Tormuse »
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 04, 2022, 11:51 »

So I've been trying this mod out again lately, seeing if I can get a proper UV ranged build going, and this is one of my more successful games, playing with a masterless technician build.

Naturally, this meant I couldn't do Blood Temple, but I still made a quick visit there for Explorer purposes, and left without triggering the ambush.

I got overwhelmed at Acheron.  I haven't quite gotten a handle on how to take care of the Arch-Viles quickly enough before they ressurrect everything;  I'll have to reconsider my approach next time.  In any case, I burned through all my med packs on that level and I was forced to homing phase out.  I left 46 enemies behind on that level;  up 'til that point, I had a perfect 100% kill ratio.  Oh well...

In the end, I was done in by a pair of Nightmare Spectres that I didn't even see coming.  Somehow, both of them went from being invisible to biting me in the space of the one second I spent reloading my tactical shotgun.  How the heck fast are those guys?!?  I know their whole deal is that you can't see them until they're close, but I really was totally unaware they were there until I was dead.  They must've gotten a triple move on me, and/or they have some kind of variability in how far away they can be seen from or something.  I could have saved my life with my last large med pack, but I really didn't think I was in imminent danger of dying.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 11:53 by Tormuse »
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10