Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 05:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: BFG Auto-wield  (Read 1995 times)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
BFG Auto-wield
« on: April 17, 2012, 00:38 »

Most of the weapons you can find throughout any game will have to manually be wielded. As of yet, I've found 2 notable exceptions, being the chainsaw and the BFG. The former makes kind of sense in the light of the berserk that comes with it, but why on earth in Hell would you arm yourself with a handheld doomsday device in a six-tile room when most enemies in the level are likely already dead?!

(The actual beef with this is that I got very annoyed when I found out I wasn't in fact clubbering the last remaining demon to death with my previously equipped chainsaw, but with the business end of the BFG).

Please switch off the BFG auto-wield.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 00:46 by LuckyDee »
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

ih8regin

• Major
  • You dodge! The Cyberdemon dies.
    • View Profile
Re: BFG Auto-wield
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 01:19 »

Well, the Doomguy says "I need a VERY BIG GUN!" and when he finds one, he's SO HAPPY that he wields it at once. I guess it's logical. Also, in Ao100 you won't be as safe as in Halls of Carnage when you pick the BFG9000, so it might be the exact thing to do, to wield and FIRE! HELL, NOW YOU'LL GET LOOSE! :D IMHO of course.
0.9.9.6: Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant, wins 3|5|3|2|0, badges [22|17|7|1|0]
0.9.9.7: badges [21|17|17|10|1|wow,1], quest: UV each challenge (9/16)

Zalminen

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • The Good, The Bad & The Random
    • View Profile
Re: BFG Auto-wield
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 06:07 »

Yeah, I fully agree with the OP.

IIRC the original Doom had auto-wield for every new weapon type. The new weapons were also usually in places where it made sense to immediately start using the new weapon and usually the new weapon was also better than the previous one.

In DoomRL auto-wield wouldn't make sense generally as you get the new weapons more randomly and thanks to the traits and mods keeping the old weapon is often preferable anyways.

The chainsaw is enough of a special case that I can see keeping the auto-wield there (and thanks to the berserk it's useful for clearing the rest of the level) but the first thing everyone does after picking up the BFG9000 is switching to another weapon...

The BFG9000 auto-wield is just an unnecessary inventory hassle.

Hell Baron Captain (0.9.9.6)
[25/19/9/0/0] m:25 sp:54 as:38
Pages: [1]