Chaosforge Forum

• April 28, 2024, 07:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Overpowered energy-shielded vest?  (Read 7334 times)

Creaphis

• Backer
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Overpowered energy-shielded vest?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 10:36 »

The fact that you can't even unequip nanofiber skin amour (so you have no option of switching to something with better move speed or melee resist) makes it fair, I think. And yeah, I've never seen the energy-shielded vest.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 11:33 »

Guys, it's about expectation, not probability.  =)

The expected utility of an object is the probability that it spawns * its utility.  I think that "game balance" is defined in terms of averaging out the expected utility of each of the objects that are defined in the game in an asymptotic sense (i.e. if you play a ton of games, it will be balanced).

So, if the drop rate goes up, the utility (or "poweredness" if you will) lowers accordingly in the form of a "nerf".  Since everything is computed here by expectations, the generation method for the object becomes important.  Why some things seem overpowered in game comes from the generation method -- it makes these objects appear too frequently, and so their expected utility exceeds what an ideal "balanced" game ought to be.

Of course, it gets more complicated because we can change the utility of an object by taking traits, but that's a slightly different problem.  =)
I computed, therefore I was.

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 18:50 »

Guys, it's about expectation, not probability.  =)

The expected utility of an object is the probability that it spawns * its utility.  I think that "game balance" is defined in terms of averaging out the expected utility of each of the objects that are defined in the game in an asymptotic sense (i.e. if you play a ton of games, it will be balanced).

So, if the drop rate goes up, the utility (or "poweredness" if you will) lowers accordingly in the form of a "nerf".  Since everything is computed here by expectations, the generation method for the object becomes important.  Why some things seem overpowered in game comes from the generation method -- it makes these objects appear too frequently, and so their expected utility exceeds what an ideal "balanced" game ought to be.

Of course, it gets more complicated because we can change the utility of an object by taking traits, but that's a slightly different problem.  =)

This is just the kind of rattle that I'd expect from a PhD candidate :P
Now you need to get a few years in at BCG or McKinsey and you'll be dangerous! (Or at least rich enough to totally finance CF!)
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]
Pages: 1 [2]  All