Chaosforge Forum

• April 17, 2024, 23:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Alternate Achievements  (Read 2889 times)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Alternate Achievements
« on: April 19, 2012, 12:30 »

One of the things I'm an absolute sucker for is getting achievements. I think DoomRL handles this especially well by rewarding you with skill rank increases for obtaining them. Most achievements, however, are simply concerned with beating the game/a specific challenge on increasingly high difficulty levels.

This is fine, of course, since this is what the game revolves around. You could of course also use it to further stimulate exploring the content of the game. For example: grant a  Gold Badge for obtaining all different Master Traits (or 3 Silver for obtaining all Marine/Scout/Tech Masters // 5 Bronze obtaining all Melee/Pistol/Shotgun/Burst/General Masters).

This is the only idea I've had so far, but others are bound to follow. And I would be surprised if I were the only one to be able to think of some...
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
Re: Alternate Achievements
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 13:07 »

I don't like idea of such badges.Getting them is quite boring and there's no challenge involved.Just lots of games.We already have Technician and Armorer which involve doing smth not really hard(assembling something or finding smth) repeatedly.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 13:50 »

I don't like idea of such badges.Getting them is quite boring and there's no challenge involved.

For experienced players, this is of course very true. It was meant as an achievement to encourage new players to explore the possibilities. I for one, haven't seen all the masters as of yet, and possibly won't.

We already have Technician and Armorer which involve doing smth not really hard(assembling something or finding smth) repeatedly.

Technician is a good example of what I'm aiming at. Armorer less so, since it purely relies on chance (which Technician only does in part).
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Creepy

• First Sergeant
  • Duelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 00:52 »

I'd rather keep achievements as the sorts of things you actually feel kinda proud of accomplishing, not a random checklist of content to check out while playing the game. Technician and Armorer already are stupid "check out all the stuff" achievements instead of actually something to be proud of doing, I really wouldn't want more like those.
Formerly Hell Knight Warrant Officer [16|7|5|1|0]
Currently Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant [18|10|3|0|0]
Current Goal: ???

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 01:29 »

I'd rather keep achievements as the sorts of things you actually feel kinda proud of accomplishing, not a random checklist of content to check out while playing the game. Technician and Armorer already are stupid "check out all the stuff" achievements instead of actually something to be proud of doing, I really wouldn't want more like those.

On the other hand, I'd keep on or two of these, since they gave me the hope that if I play a lot, I'll get a gold/platimun/diamond badge for sure. In the end I always have several badges of the same tier by the time I get one of these, but it's a nice motivator.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Kg

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Celestial Horizon
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 02:13 »

Maybe in the future, some 'live' achievements would be good (if possible). Just like in Steam/Xbox games I believe. If you do something, you get popup window in the corner. Like I don't know - kill X enemies without taking damage and boom, medal appears in shiny glittering window. There could be some ideas for that, but I know it's more like a joke. Copying pattern from modern games, which doesn't rely on skill that much, wouldn't fit Roguelike idea at all. And it's annoying for some gamers (compare to WoW achievements, some hate it, but they encourage to explore things you wouldn't normally). Anyway, you will find out upon ending of the game, if you got some medals.
I personally like idea of collecting stuff - it kind of gives another meaning to your normal games / YASD. But hey, we have ranks for that, don't we?
On the other hand, some in-game indicator would be nice, like - how much damage we have taken. Maybe not how many enemies are alive, but how many we've killed.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hell Baron 2nd Lieutenant
[22|11|4|0|0]
Latest: Eagerness Bronze

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 02:16 »

Maybe in the future, some 'live' achievements would be good (if possible). Just like in Steam/Xbox games I believe. If you do something, you get popup window in the corner. Like I don't know - kill X enemies without taking damage and boom, medal appears in shiny glittering window.

We have the horrible ideas thread for a reason =)
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".
Pages: [1]