Chaosforge Forum

• May 16, 2024, 02:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Need Help Installing with No Real Knowledge of Computers  (Read 3642 times)

HisNameIsTerryBaby

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

I know as much as I need to know to get by, and I was hoping it'd just be download and click to start, but there seems to be more going on. I downloaded the Mac Version and have an iBook, can anyone help me with installing this?

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help Installing with No Real Knowledge of Computers
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 22:02 »

Disclaimer: I don't have a Mac, and I've never installed DoomRL on a mac. I'll try to do me best to help you out though.

I'm going to be basing my instructions off this text from the download page:
Note about the Mac OS X version — coding for this platform is still relatively new for me, so this time the release requires some degree of manual installation. You can only reliably run it from the terminal, and need to manually unpack it to some folder. You’ll also need to install SDL bundles — SDL , SDL_image , and SDL_mixer — if you have any problem installing, feel free to ask at the forums!

You'll first need to download and install the SDL bundles (if you haven't already):
SDL
SDL_image
SDL_mixer

These bundles are provided as .dmg files.  On Mac OS, you should be able to double click and open these up.  They will look like folders with files (and more folders) inside.  Each of these packages has a readme file that explains its installation, but I can repeat it here.

To install each of the SDL bundles, you just need to copy the folder called *something*.framework into a folder on your machine called
/Library/Frameworks
I expect the /Library folder will already exist on your machine.  If the Frameworks subfolder doesn't exist, you can create it.  (There should be an option in one of the Finder's drop-down menus to create a new folder. To rename a file or folder, click on the name in the Finder.)  You should be able to copy the *something*.framework folder by drag-and-drop, or by using the copy and paste options in one of the Finder's drop-down menus.

I'll assume you've already found and downloaded the DoomRL package (called doomrl-osx-x64-0996.tar.gz).  I believe the default action when double-clicking on a .tar.gz is to extract the contents to the current folder, so do that.  This will create a folder named doomrl-osx-x64-0996.  It doesn't really matter where this folder is, but you might want to move it to some other folder on your system where you put applications or games.  That is all there is to installation of DoomRL itself.

The last point mentioned in the instructions from the download page is that it works better to run DoomRL from the terminal.  (You can try double clicking on the doomrl executable in the doomrl-osx-x64-0996 folder if you aren't up to using the terminal, but I can't guarantee it will work.)  If you type "Terminal" into the spotlight, it should reveal the terminal application that is already installed on your machine.  Run it.  This will open a little text-based window you will have to use navigate to the folder with the doomrl executable file.

To execute a command in the terminal, you just type it in and then press the enter or return key.  The main command you need is cd (short for "change directory").  Typing the name of a folder after cd will take your terminal into that folder.  Other commands that might be useful are pwd ("print working directory") which shows where you are now and ls ("list") which displays a list of the files and directories in your current directory.  So, if you moved the DoomRL folder to the desktop, you can just type:
Code: [Select]
cd ~/Desktop/doomrl-osx-x64-0996
After you are in the doomrl folder, all you have to do is type
doomrl
to run the game.

If something I said doesn't make sense or doesn't work, or if you'd like more elaboration on any point, please don't hesitate to ask!

HisNameIsTerryBaby

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 23:10 »

Thank you so much, you've been a really big help, although I've been able to do everything up to the last point. I went to my terminal and did the directory change command on doomrl, after i went into the folder and clicked on doomrl it asked me on what application I want it to run. I'm not really sure on what I should run it, and if you have any idea it'd be a big help! Again thank you very much.

HisNameIsTerryBaby

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 23:24 »

On a side note, if you meant to type doomrl after changing the directory, I've tried that as well, and it says command not found.

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 23:26 »

Assuming the file structure is the same on the Mac as on Windows, there are two files with the name doomrl: an .exe (The executable file, the actual file you'll run) and a .wad file (data file containing the all the info the game uses when running).  Make sure that you are trying to run the .exe file and not the .wad.
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 23:29 »

On a side note, if you meant to type doomrl after changing the directory, I've tried that as well, and it says command not found.

This is what I meant, but it seems I forgot one of the fundamentals of using the MacOS/*nix terminal.  Try this instead of just typing doomrl:
./doomrl
(The ./ tells your computer to look for the program in the current directory.)

HisNameIsTerryBaby

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 23:33 »

Well, one step closer at least, but it says cannot execute binary file.

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 23:57 »

Some investigation on wikipedia reveals that iBooks have PowerPC processors.  I'm pretty sure that the DoomRL's Mac version is compiled for intel processors, which explains why your machine is not able to run the executable.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any solution to this problem.  It's possible that some kind of emulation software exists, but I didn't find any in a quick search.  It's also possible that we could make a PowerPC version of DoomRL at some point... but I'm not sure who does the Mac builds, or whether the right software exists to compile this kind of version.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.  :(

(Anyone who knows more about Mac than I do, please feel free to chime in.)

HisNameIsTerryBaby

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 00:21 »

Well crap. Hopefully I'll find a better computer soon enough and not be limited to playing only flash roguelikes(which thus far are the only that've worked for download). Thanks for the help anyway.

HisNameIsTerryBaby

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 00:25 »

*Meant Java rougelikes, not flash.

Belk

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Pages: [1]