Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 08:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Now reading... (books)  (Read 8592 times)

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Re: Now reading... (books)
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 10:17 »

If manga count, I'm currently reading Papa no Iu Koto o Kikinasai!, just finished Another, and now I started on Goth.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 07:53 »

Finished Snuff, now started on The Ghosts of Sleath / '48 by James Herbert. I've already read '48 once (post-apocalyptic story set right after WWII), and up until now it's been the only good JH I've been able to find. Thought I'd give The Ghosts another try though.

On a mind-boggling side-note: I was actually appalled at the profanity in Snuff (I think it uses 'piss' once, 'shit' three times and I'm pretty sure I saw a 'fuck' pasing by as well). I'm actually amazed at myself, since I'm normally highly unlikely to take offence at this, especially with words that are being used so much that they've lost a lot of their power.
However, I've always admired Pratchett for being able to do without, and seeing him take a swing at explicit profanity after 32 books of implicit remarks is a bigger let-down then I'd ever imagined. I must be growing old...
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 12:09 »

Finished reading House of Leaves a couple of days ago. It really is as good as everybody says. When I finally put it down, I felt like I emerged from a labyrinth, knowing that I maybe didn't see all of its winding passages, and that I will have to return there someday in the future. I'm a little afraid that next time I open the book, the story will be completely different.

In the meantime, I read HHhH by Laurent Binet. As a Czech, the subject of assassination of Reinhard Heydrich is close to me, obviously, but the book is really well written even beyond the incredibly dramatic story written by history, I especially liked all the musings on writing a historical novel.

Yesterday I finished Seventeen Moments of Spring. It's a novel which was adapted to a brilliant Soviet series. Something like a Soviet James Bond. Even though it can be seen as a propaganda piece (in fact, it was commissioned by the KGB), it is in fact a brilliant piece of cinematography and having read all of Fleming's Bond novels, I can tell you that these are much better.

Oh, and I also read False Gods, part of the Horus Heresy series of WH40K novels. I read a lot lately. =)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 12:13 by Klear »
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".
Pages: 1 [2]  All