Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 03:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Easy Angel of Death Kill Method!  (Read 9121 times)

JustKillJill

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Easy Angel of Death Kill Method!
« on: April 26, 2012, 16:39 »

So as it turns out, here's a quick, slightly-luck based method for beating the Angel of Death. Works best as a Marine, albeit I first pulled this off playing Technician. Remember to get a 100% kill rate up to this point, in order to obtain Azrael's Scythe (play on HMP or higher difficulty!).

Begin thus;

1.) Obtain and SAVE as many phase devices as possible--especially the homing variant, up until Deimos.

2.) At Special Stage 7, the Spider's Lair, defeat all monsters and acquire the Nuclear Plasma Rifle (or obtain a Thermonuclear bomb or similar Nuclear item)

3.) At the stage preceding the Unholy Cathedral, do not take any God Mode power-up that appears. Protect said power-ups from explosions at all costs.

4.) Once the floor is clear, grab as many God-Modes as practical, and either run to the Red Stairs if they are close, or begin using phase devices until you get close enough to do so.

5.) Assuming you have ten moves worth of god-mode left when you enter Unholy Cathedral (Marine, again, extends power-up duration), immediately set off a nuke and use the wait command. This will kill everything on the level, including AoD (except you, if you're still in god mode), assuredly winning you Azrael's Scythe.

I've found that god-mode consistently appears on the level before UC appears. Could it be coincidence that they hand you a nuclear weapon on the bonus level just preceding this stage?

Napsterbater

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Easy Angel of Death Kill Method!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 18:14 »

Remember to get a 100% kill rate up to this point, in order to obtain Azrael's Scythe
Eh. I prefer the Spear, simply because of the +4 armor you get with Angelic Armor. Plus the special attack doesn't hurt your HP.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 20:18 »

In my experience, Invulnerability doesn't usually appear on the level with the UC entrance.  I think you've just been getting lucky.

I think a much more reliable way to take out the AoD is to get Berserker trait.  The Chainsaw makes short work of him while you're berserk.  :)
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 23:16 »

I think a much more reliable way to take out the AoD is to get Berserker trait.  The Chainsaw makes short work of him while you're berserk.  :)

Hear, hear. I did the UC just once, and it totally failed to impress me for precisely this reason.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 01:18 »

Please somebody get rid of the spoiler in the 3rd sentence of the OP. I had no idea how to get Azrael's Scythe before and I was hoping I'll figure it out myself =(

Also, nuking a level isn't excactly new.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 04:31 »

Eh. I prefer the Spear, simply because of the +4 armor you get with Angelic Armor. Plus the special attack doesn't hurt your HP.
I never checked it, but i always thought AS gives you +4 bonus too.
Though anyway i saw AA 4 times, and wore it about once, so does not really matter much for me.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

Creepy

• First Sergeant
  • Duelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 08:02 »

If you've been playing a melee game and are able to reach the UC, Berserk and whatever master trait you're rolling with (or even Berserk alone, it be powerful) is usually enough to carry you through it. A Marine with Vampire would probably leave the level with more health than he had when he entered, even.
Formerly Hell Knight Warrant Officer [16|7|5|1|0]
Currently Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant [18|10|3|0|0]
Current Goal: ???

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 09:04 »

It's already well-known that nukes clear a level and invulnerability globes prevent you from dying.

Nevertheless, I think this topic brings up something important. Might it be time to suggest that special levels ('>') can't be nuked?
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 09:09 »

Nevertheless, I think this topic brings up something important. Might it be time to suggest that special levels ('>') can't be nuked?

Oh god please no. I love to nuke the mortuary. I believe the panalty that the level isn't considered completed for badge purposed plus the destruction of all rewards (except those that spawn afterwards) is enough.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 09:44 »

Might it be time to suggest that special levels ('>') can't be nuked?
I was actually going to go with the "other" option and have affects turn off when you go to the next floor. This has pretty huge effects on the game, so I don't know if would apply to every floor: maybe just boss levels and a couple others.

The "easier" solution to UC's special case (we could include Mort as well) is to just make it so that the reward doesn't linger if you nuke the level. Really, I'm kind of surprised uniques survive nuclear explosions anyway, even if they're durable enough for lava.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Napsterbater

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 11:48 »

I never checked it, but i always thought AS gives you +4 bonus too.
Though anyway i saw AA 4 times, and wore it about once, so does not really matter much for me.
When I was playing AoOC, I went into the UC every time. Got lots of Scythes and lots of Spears. Scythe def does not give +4 protection with AA, and 9d9 isn't a crazy amount of damage over 8d8. Both slaughters things at close range. The Scythe's alt-fire just isn't useful enough to be worth the 5HP hit, but the Spear's is *very* useful for when you get surrounded. I consider the Scythe a penalty rather than a bonus.

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 12:22 »

I was actually going to go with the "other" option and have affects turn off when you go to the next floor. This has pretty huge effects on the game, so I don't know if would apply to every floor: maybe just boss levels and a couple others.
I dunno... on the one hand, requiring the Lava Pits for a Full Win doesn't sound like it would hurt anyone at this point... on the other hand, no more Pure Luck Full Wins.
The "easier" solution to UC's special case (we could include Mort as well) is to just make it so that the reward doesn't linger if you nuke the level. Really, I'm kind of surprised uniques survive nuclear explosions anyway, even if they're durable enough for lava.
Artifacts have always been totally indestructible, to the best of my knowledge. For whatever reason, though, I don't remember the Armor or the Spear/Scythe appearing after a nuke.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

JustKillJill

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 12:34 »

Ah, color me a newb. I hadn't known Longinus's Spear dropped in UC as well. Guess I have a new 'present' to look forward to.

If you've been playing a melee game and are able to reach the UC, Berserk and whatever master trait you're rolling with (or even Berserk alone, it be powerful) is usually enough to carry you through it. A Marine with Vampire would probably leave the level with more health than he had when he entered, even.

That hinges on a pretty big "if". What if I just want a big stick to swing with Juggler when shit gets in my face, while I use Trigger Happy with a Burst Plasma Rifle F1, or Sharpshooter with the GCB to instamelt anything I run into? What if I'm not 'playing' a melee build? The Angel is pretty damn sturdy (340 on HMP, 50 more hp than the Cyberdemon) without Berserker, and Chainsaw only clocks an average 14 damage per hit out of Berserk.

Although yeah, I guess nuking makes for a needless workaround for a Marine specializing in melee. Cool--I'll keep that in mind.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 12:38 by JustKillJill »

Creepy

• First Sergeant
  • Duelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 12:50 »

That hinges on a pretty big "if".

Compared to being lucky enough to find a nuke and an invulnerability orb right by the UC? Because those aren't common occurances at all. "Pray for those powerups" isn't really any less of an 'if' than "spend three levels picking up the melee traits I'll need to do the melee level and prepare properly"
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 12:55 by Creepy »
Formerly Hell Knight Warrant Officer [16|7|5|1|0]
Currently Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant [18|10|3|0|0]
Current Goal: ???

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 13:08 »

What if I just want a big stick to swing with Juggler when shit gets in my face?
To the best of my knowledge, the Angel of Death does not have a lava immunity (though I haven't entered the Unholy Cathedral since the last version update), so you can still cheese him that way. nevermind, that information is outdated. No wonder I kept getting massacred by the Big Red A when I made it to the Unholy Cathedral.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 13:11 by raekuul »
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.
Pages: [1] 2  All