Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 01:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: DoomRL port for ARM devices (i.e. OpenPandora)  (Read 3262 times)

killchain

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
DoomRL port for ARM devices (i.e. OpenPandora)
« on: April 30, 2012, 14:46 »

Hello,

First off I apologize if this is the wrong forum. I'm brand new to the forum, but I love this game and I wanted to join the community, and I had a burning question to ask.

I wanted to express interest in a port of DoomRL for ARM devices, in particular devices such as the OpenPandora. The OpenPandora runs an Angstrom build of Linux on ARM architecture. I don't propose a build specifically for the OpenPandora, just support fo the ARM architecure.

I've read that due to licensing issues, the game cannot be put on, say, the Android Market. An idea I had: maybe Chaosforge would start a Kickstarter to fund the licensing fees? Keep in mind I have next to no idea how that stuff works... I just wanted to present the idea. (Maybe it's a good one?) I would definitely kick some cash to see that happen.

I would love to see this game on ARM architecture, because it is an excellent game.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL port for ARM devices (i.e. OpenPandora)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 20:56 »

In theory I don't think there is anything technical that prevents this from building for the ARM architecture, especially since if there's already a Linux+SDL+FreePascal toolchain for it.

The thing about the "licensing fee" is that, well, even if we had the cash to pay, it still requires said IP holders to actually agree to licensing in the first place.

tl;dr It's tricky...
I computed, therefore I was.

killchain

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL port for ARM devices (i.e. OpenPandora)
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 15:12 »

In theory I don't think there is anything technical that prevents this from building for the ARM architecture, especially since if there's already a Linux+SDL+FreePascal toolchain for it.

The thing about the "licensing fee" is that, well, even if we had the cash to pay, it still requires said IP holders to actually agree to licensing in the first place.

tl;dr It's tricky...

Would that toolchain allow a programmer with a mission to port it to ARM? I'm no programmer, but the community for the OpenPandora has expressed interest in porting this game for the system, and they are WIZARDS. hahaha.
Pages: [1]