Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 04:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Weapon knockback reduction (MBD, at least)  (Read 2569 times)

Skibbler

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Weapon knockback reduction (MBD, at least)
« on: April 28, 2012, 13:55 »

I decided to try an MBD build because I was tempted by the raw damage output. With MBD you can dualwield, and then fire two extra shots per pistol if you have triggerhappy 2. Furthermore, MBD doesn't block SoB like the other pistol masters. So, in my Ao100 game, I intended to eventually max triggerhappy, SoG, and SoB to fire 6 shots at a time, each with +10 damage in addition to their dice rolls. And in a regular game, the strategy is viable too, though obviously you won't have time to max SoB unless maybe you neglect everything else that is probably of interest (finesse/whizkid, TaN, etc.).

However, I soon realized that this strategy was not going to work. I dualwielded unmodded pistols and had lvl 3 SoG, lvl 2 SoB, lvl 2 triggerhappy, and MBD. The problem was that I pushed back enemies and so only the first few of my six shots actually had a chance to hit. When I got an Anti-Freak Jackal, well, pretty much only the first shot had a chance to hit before the enemy was pushed back. So, I found myself using the alternate fire in order to shoot one shot per pistol at once. I would have been better off without MBD! The only way to play it was like a single-shot build except when I got lucky and had an enemy pinned in a corner.

So, how about some way to make your weapons do less knockback? I understand that managing your knockback is part of the game, but knockback with MBD makes MBD useless. So, I have a few suggestions:

1) An assembly which creates a knockback-free weapon
2) A skill that reduces knockback
3) A knockback reduction included in MBD

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Re: Weapon knockback reduction (MBD, at least)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 14:08 »

The problem was that I pushed back enemies and so only the first few of my six shots actually had a chance to hit.
We in "the business" consider this a bug, actually. While the idea of knockback reduction on one's attack is interesting, I think it's more important that we make the knockback direction and missile paths consistent, such that enemies are hit by the full volley whenever knocked back.

So in short, your strategy is valid but unfortunately ineffective due to a bug. It's been put off for a while because it requires considerable rewrites in the code but we'll definitely fix it by the next release.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 14:12 »

we'll definitely fix it by the next release.
Woo-hoo!
Knockbacking rapid-fire weapons FTW!
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 14:23 »

Knockbacking rapid-fire weapons FTW!
I want to see Spidey doing this :] .
Pages: [1]