Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 08:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Snipers Are People Too  (Read 2944 times)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Snipers Are People Too
« on: April 27, 2012, 13:09 »

Bit of a shame that there's only one use for the Sniper mod. Why not an advanced or master assembly, for example one that turns a plasma rifle into a cell-based shotgun?
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Re: Snipers Are People Too
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 14:16 »

Bit of a shame that there's only one use for the Sniper mod.
Correction, there is only one assembly that uses the sniper mod. This is not the same thing as the sniper mod only having one use: if the "normal" improvement that sniper weapon pack provides is truly crappy then I don't mind buffing, but the autohit was too strong and we're not going back to it. (I assume this was really meant as "there is only use for sniper weapon pack on a shotgun", which is a legitimate complaint, but it's at least a step above having no use from previous versions.)

Generally speaking, I want to remove the dependency of certain assemblies requiring exotic mods as much as possible. Ideally, exotic mods should be able to stand on their own and not feel like yet another mod pack with which to make an assembly. We haven't gotten there yet, but hopefully we can in the next version, at which point there will only be a couple of assemblies with any exotics, if any at all.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 14:54 »

Sounds fair enough; I did indeed phrase my request poorly - or simply wrong. I'll have another look at it, I don't do enough with mods outside assemblies.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 15:08 »

Sounds fair enough; I did indeed phrase my request poorly - or simply wrong. I'll have another look at it, I don't do enough with mods outside assemblies.

This is exactly why I'm glad I haven't spoiled the assemblies for myself - I learnt to value the mods on their own.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 16:33 »

How about sniper pack also adding 1 or 2 to accuracy?Currently for plasma rifle S1 is worse than A2 in most situations, so it's a bit of a joke.
And for shotguns it could decrease damage dropoff i think.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

Creaphis

• Backer
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 21:53 »

I started playing with this version so I don't know anything about the S-mod's former "auto-hit" capabilities but when it was nerfed it might have been nerfed too much. The only interesting thing about sniper mods (to me) is that they can remove the 50% accuracy penalty for shooting into the dark - but you need 2 of them. This makes S mods essentially useless for assembled weapons, and I've never found two sniper mods in one game anyway. At the very least, I think that the order of the sniper mod's bonuses should be switched around. S1: No accuracy penalty for shooting into the dark. S2: No accuracy drop-off with distance.
Pages: [1]