Chaosforge Forum

• April 28, 2024, 00:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Easy Angel of Death Kill Method!  (Read 9197 times)

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
Re: Easy Angel of Death Kill Method!
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 14:37 »

Back in version 0.9.9.1, The AoD actually didn't have lava immunity which made it really easy to kill him.  (It was how I got my first Diamond, Longinus Diamond)  All you had to do was lure him outside, then run back inside the Cathedral and close the door.  Then hold your finger on the wait button until he died from randomly wandering into the lava.

It was really funny to picture it, this huge, hulking Demon, stomping around in impotent fury, locked out of his own cathedral.  :D

"GRR!  Let me back in!  You open this door right now!  OW!  I stepped in the lava again!"
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

JustKillJill

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 15:38 »

Compared to being lucky enough to find a nuke and an invulnerability orb right by the UC? Because those aren't common occurances at all. "Pray for those powerups" isn't really any less of an 'if' than "spend three levels picking up the melee traits I'll need to do the melee level and prepare properly"

Lucky? Nuclear Plasma Rifle spawns every time you finish the Spider's Lair. Just overcharge it if you don't collect a thermonuclear bomb. And power-up spawns aren't that rare. Maybe not common enough that it'll happen every time, but hey.

Three levels worth of melee skills for a non-melee build in order to clear a single special stage doesn't strike me as an efficient use of resources. If you're playing toward that build, sure...

It's already well-known that nukes clear a level and invulnerability globes prevent you from dying.

Nevertheless, I think this topic brings up something important. Might it be time to suggest that special levels ('>') can't be nuked?

UC kind of bugs me for that fact--it forces a non-melee build to go melee for 100% completion. So why 'not' nuke it? For that matter--why penalize further, a method of beating a level that would kill you under ordinary circumstances anyway?

What's the point of having Nukes in the game, again?

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 15:41 by JustKillJill »

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 15:45 »

Three levels worth of melee skills for a non-melee build in order to clear a single special stage doesn't strike me as an efficient use of resources. If you're playing toward that build, sure...

Berserker is actually very useful in any build, even if you don't plan to do any melee.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

JustKillJill

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 15:56 »

Berserker is actually very useful in any build, even if you don't plan to do any melee.

I almost always play Technician, and tend to build toward either Scavenger or Sharpshooter, depending on whether the GCB drops or not. I typically end up equipped with 2 ranks whizkid by Hell's Armory, if it hasn't dropped by then--at which point I build a burst plasma rifle and try to get firestorm on it, which allows me to vaporize barons/mancubi/revenants fairly quickly, without blowing up too many barrels and item drops.

I usually opt for Hellrunner/Dodgemaster over Brute/Berserk for tactical benefits--especially dealing with the Wall, Phobos Anomaly, and the Deimos Arena's Cyber Demon.

The only time I melee is if I obtain the Butcher's Knife for free Blademaster, or when I get surprised by demons and lost souls while I have juggler. I'm a very tactical (if not the most experienced) player. I'd use berserk if it didn't 'encourage' me taking damage for an already risky form of combat, but since I don't pick a lot of buff perks... well... (throatslit) x_X

2DeviationsOut

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 18:59 »

Meh, if you've got a good movespeed or a Ballistic Vest or a Ballistic Shield, or even a Duelist's Armor, then the UC is crazy easy. The Lost Souls aren't a threat at all if you can fight them one at a time in a doorway, and the demons are the same. If you can, pop a zerk from a Hatred Skull, and go to town on the AoD. I've gotten to the point where I can reliably beat the UC without Brute on N!, and often Damageless. It's all about the movespeed/firespeed.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2012, 06:44 »

Well, you can play any way you like, but personally, if I'm trying for the Conqueror badge, I either make sure to pick up Berserker trait along the way, or be prepared for a drawn out, tedious dance with the AoD, because I can't count on getting a lucky Invulnerability any more than I can count on a lucky Hatred Skull, or Ballistic Vest, or even Phase Devices.  UC is late enough in the game that it's easy to hit character level 10 before it, by which time you can have a Master trait plus three levels to get Berserker.  That's a strategy I can count on.  Hoping I get a lucky drop is not.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Sihoiba

• Elder
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 10:44 »

The Scythe's alt-fire just isn't useful enough to be worth the 5HP hit, but the Spear's is *very* useful for when you get surrounded. I consider the Scythe a penalty rather than a bonus.

However it is hilarious when used on a complex full of former humans special level.
Pages: 1 [2]  All