Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 10:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: fantastic game!!! and request  (Read 4394 times)

travolter

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
fantastic game!!! and request
« on: May 07, 2012, 10:59 »

Hi guys!!
I just tested this Diablo roguelike version and Is totally amazing. It has the same playability as the original game.. and you can get addicted easily trying to go deeper in to the dungeon and getting new objects and treasures.
10 points for you and I wish more updates coming soon, because this game is really playable and addictive and it really need a full version for all the roguelike community around.

Just a little request. Its possible to compile the game in different way to speed it up?
My machine is a P166mmx with 32mb running win95. Some games like Angband runs at full speed.. but this DiableRL that moves a bit slow.

Im not coder and I cannt try to compile myself... but I wonder if someone has a DiabloRL DOS version.. that maybe runs a bit faster. I dont know why this game consume so much cpu when other RL games with these ascii games runs ok..

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Re: fantastic game!!! and request
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 13:14 »

I dont know why this game consume so much cpu when other RL games with these ascii games runs ok..
Considering that Kornel's specialty is actually 3D engines, and that DiabloRL was originally conceived as a 7DRL in 2005, I'm not all that surprised. I doubt any of the Valkyrie projects were ever meant for "literal" console (that is, created on the assumption that they'd be used only there). Contrast to Angband or Nethack or (dare I say) Rogue, which were designed in and for the console.

Incidentally, how well do other Chaosforge games work on that machine?
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Tavana

• Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 14:09 »

It has been a while since I've looked at DiabloRL's code, but I remember it being in a semi-awkward transitional state, which may explain some of the CPU drain. What version are you using?

Also, I would say that the final version of DiabloRL (unless charged bolt is never dealt with) may still run a bit slowly. FreePascal is sadly unable to compile to a pure DOS, win32 is the best you can get.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

travolter

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 03:46 »

Hi again guys!!

I was testing other chaosforgue games in that P166mmx machine.

doomrl-win-0996-lq.zip in console mode runs almost perfect.. I get a very little delay since I press a key and the character move... but its totally playable. (The delay is more noticeable if you maintain pressed a key to move faster... the @ will continue moving after you stop pressing the movement key).

About diabloRL I tested versions with and without sound... the game loads faster than DoomRL .. but the movement of the character is very slow in comparison with doomrl(lq)consolemode. There is too much delay since you press a key and the character star to move.. also problems while maintain a key pressed and you release...

AliensRL is totally umplayable.. the movememt is totally sloooow. I tested disabling music and decreasing screen resolution. I bet that its a problem of the console mode.. that maybe its not a real console mode.. but an enulation one cause I notice better graphics

Berserk working ok too.. as DoomRl

I dont know if some of the tweaks applied to DoomRL can be applied to rest of the games (DiabloRl in this topic). I dont want to consume your time optimizing the game for an ancient machine like mine.. Anyway I encourage to the chaosforgue team to continue with these RL games.. because are really playable and addictive

Tavana

• Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 03:56 »

I actually consider it quite a treat to find someone trying to play on a machine like that. So many players (that I have contact with) have screaming machines in comparison. As mentioned, I haven't looked at the code in ages, but I wouldn't mind looking at it with this sort of thing in mind. At least a once over.

With AliensRL, are you using the version that is just the console? Or the one that has the tileset? I seem to recall Kornel making a non-graphics version of AliensRL available, but don't remember if he made it widely know that it existed. If you're running with the graphics version, I'll go find the link for you. (I seem to recall it was in the release thread in the announcements forum.)
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

travolter

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 04:04 »

With AliensRL, are you using the version that is just the console? Or the one that has the tileset? I seem to recall Kornel making a non-graphics version of AliensRL available, but don't remember if he made it widely know that it existed. If you're running with the graphics version, I'll go find the link for you. (I seem to recall it was in the release thread in the announcements forum.)

Oh plz.. if a console version exists let me know.. Im looking into the forum but I dont find it.
No problem if the game dont run at 100% in my machine..  a LQ veersion I think that is enough at least to be as playable as DoomRL

Edit.- I found it!!! http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,3137.msg26889.html#msg26889
Go to test.. !! Im back later

edit2.- AlienRL console version finally running here!!! (bunch of extra dlls needed to work). It has same speed as DiabloRL.. maybe they share same code? I hope that these two titles could be fixed in the future to be as fast as DoomRL. Both titles are really addictive.. but the playability decreases with these delays

Regards
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 04:42 by travolter »
Pages: [1]