Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 12:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: amazing RL!!! thanks coders!!  (Read 6610 times)

travolter

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
amazing RL!!! thanks coders!!
« on: May 07, 2012, 14:03 »

After playing DiabloRL I just discovered this AliensRL and I can say that its really amazing. I love the simplicity of the ascii characters and the nice atmosphere that you create with sounds.. in this way your imagination fly and you can really fell the oppressive ambient.

Big thanks for this game guys!! Loving it

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
Re: amazing RL!!! thanks coders!!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 14:19 »

I always thought this one was one of the most non-standard roguelikes, and thereby had the most potential. Glad to hear you're enjoying the selections of the Chaosforge. I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of BerserkRL.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 15:44 »

If you liked these two, you better check DoomRL, Kornel's magnum opus. That's some good stuff.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 17:56 »

If you liked these two, you better check DoomRL, Kornel's magnum opus. That's some good stuff.
You make it sound as though that's all he can do.  =P

But yes, try DoomRL.  It is of a different pace/feel, and is opened to quite a fair bit of wackiness.  ;-)
I computed, therefore I was.

travolter

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 03:54 »

Oh guys.. what I can say about DoomRL and BerserkRL.. amazing too. Im in love with all of your games (truly opinion). 
I will not create new topics on Doom and Berserks forums to give thanks... you already know that you have a fan of your games here.

Personally Im playing DoomRL more than BerserkRL.. but only cause Berserk is harder for me ;)

Going back to AliensRL. I cannt play with the game in my P166mmx.. the Ascii graphics are not truly ascii.. I mean that they are very good eye looking.. and maybe that consume to much cpu for my machine.. I wonder if you could create a console version with low quality graphics to save resources in my machine.

This cpu runs DoomRL OK with sounds .. so I bet that also AlienRL can work perfect too.
Anyway I dont want to consume your time optimizing games for my old machines.. you are doing a great job with your games and I bet that other are enjoying like me.. so plz.. continue ;)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 03:57 by travolter »

travolter

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 04:37 »

I found the AliensRL console version and at least is working now.. Its not fast as DoomRL but I cannt ask for more at moment ;)
AliensRl having same speed as DiabloRL

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 04:44 »

Glad to hear that it's working a bit better at least. We'll see what we can do about optimizing it a bit later, alright?
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

travolter

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 07:53 »

ok I can wait! thank you ;) Ill play to current one meanwhile ;)

Equality

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 02:26 »

Yes, amazing. But... men, that's impossible to win )))

about 6-7 attempts.

Start. Low ammo, weak pistol/smg
mid-game. Oh, yes - plasteel armor, pulse rifle... and low ammo!
goods in sequrity\military towers really powerful ... sometimes. But need a tons of keys/multitools

running from one dropped weapon to another (when one ammo type depleted)? not fun
10000 pistols from crates - all useless 9mm. Are you joking? where is colt .44?
experience - thank for exploration bonus, gaining exp from aliens - no way, out of ammo

Got "advanced" in primary weapon, got power armor, 300+ ammo for pulse rifle, ready to action.
level 6 of main tower. Praetorian, 2 elites, scout - just around elevator. Pulse rifle - too slow. Grenades - too close. Run away - they are quick. Ok, grenades. medikits. Level 7. Praetorians*3, die in one turn.

Think I need a good stars position, meson fluctuations and luck for victory - once in centhury. How many times we need die per one success?
Once advanced DoomRL player
Find mysterious sword Dragonslayer
Say "Best thing ever found!" and start jumping around...
But he can't get the sword from the ground

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 04:11 »

Think I need a good stars position, meson fluctuations and luck for victory - once in centhury. How many times we need die per one success?
I think I died once during beta - once the game was stable with difficulty.
And you got to level 7 in just 7 attempts. Isn't that great? :P

Am I the only one who thinks it is still too easy? :'(

:P

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 09:37 »

Am I the only one who thinks it is still too easy? :'(
It's very difficult to balance a game's challenge and its potential for replayability. The most creative and interesting challenges are often deterministically solvable, which means there's no point in doing them again. On the other side, replayability is best simulated by a perceived randomness, but its challenge also wildly fluctuates with each roll of the dice. Roguelikes try the balancing game, but it's hard to accomplish. Ideally a roguelike should always be solvable, but to be 100% effective you'll need ridiculous insight and perfect tactical acumen: an experienced veteran of the game would be in the 80-90% range by comparison (a number I pull from nowhere but sounds reasonable).

All I can say is that getting to the seventh floor on the seventh attempt in this game is quite good for a beginner. There's a lot to figure out (with regards to getting "good gear") and it's not obvious what to do or where to go. At the moment the game's pretty solvable, albeit requiring a little luck for good weapons to show up period. Simply leveling up the right traits at around the right times and knowing how to win (and how to handle nasty groups of bugs) are sufficient for reliable results.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver
Pages: [1]