Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Typos  (Read 25833 times)

Valkeera

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Typos
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2007, 03:16 »

When you [l]ook at your enemies and then do [m]ore, the Former human soldier description has the word "ingerence". I don't know what that is supposed to be.

"Your fellow soldiers who went crazy
  because of the demonic ingerence."

Should probably be inherence.
Angel of Death 007

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2007, 19:09 »

Or could it be interference (just a guess)?

EDIT: Also, it's severely wounded, not severly.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 19:25 by BDR »

Valkeera

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2007, 03:27 »

"Inherence" means inner presence, pervasion - this was probably intended, as letters 'g' and 'h' neighbor each other on the eyboard.
Angel of Death 007

Rabiat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2007, 12:27 »

In 0.9.8.5. the game still has the word invunerable in stead of invulnerable in several places.

Also, the message you get after clearing the UC says 'after killing the AoD, ...' even if AoD was not the last opponent to die. Not really an error, but the message seems to appear a little late.
0.9.9.2 - [22/8/2/0/0] - Mancubus Scrap Metal Collector

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2007, 07:08 »

Not quite a typo, but when you pick up the BFG the message reads:
"HELL, NOW YOU"LL GET LOOSE!"

I'm not sure about the " where a ' should be, but my main concern is the "get". The prhase goes "all hell breaks/broke/will break loose", not "gets/got/will go", etc. IMO it should read "HELL, NOW YOU'LL BREAK LOOSE!". I know it's been this way for a long while, but I had never really given it any thought :)

Picklish

• Elder
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2007, 12:48 »

The "brute" description has an incorrect apostrophe in the word "gun's".

Also, even on non-windows versions, you get the "I wouldn't leave if I were you.  Windows is much worse." when quitting.  ;)

Picklish

• Elder
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2007, 13:53 »

Also, on AoI:
"There is a small med-pack lying here.
You use Picklish immediately. Nothing happens."

I feel so...used.  And useless.

EDIT: Missing punctuation when using a med-pack: "You use a small med-pack. You feel healed The imp fires!"
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 08:49 by Picklish »

Picklish

• Elder
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2007, 19:34 »

Sorry to continue posting typos and weird grammar issues.  Apparently I'm the only one bugged by them.  :P

You pick up 30 of shotgun shell

The pick up sentences are all really awkward.  Is it a pain to change it to "You pick up 30 shotgun shells." or "You found 46 rounds of 10mm ammo."?

You use a weapon damage mod. The weapon you're holding is already maximized with this mod!

This is applying a damage mod to a gun that has no damage mods already, but already has four mods.  I think I was expecting it to say something like "You can't use more than four mods on this weapon." (Insert other numbers as appropriate with levels of Whizkid.)

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2007, 19:58 »

From the player file:

To achieve Demon rank:
   -- kill a total 200 of demons
   -- kill a total 100 of enemies in melee
   -- kill a total 20 of demons in melee

It should be:

To achieve Demon rank:
   -- kill 200 demons
   -- kill 100 enemies in melee
   -- kill 20 demons in melee

Or, if the total is needed, more like "kill a total of 200 demons"/"kill 200 demons total" and so on.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2007, 07:40 »

Fiixed typos.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2007, 13:13 »

But not the one in your post! :P

* BDR suddenly is eaten by a not-suspiciously-spawned-at-all Arch-Vile

Picklish

• Elder
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2007, 20:13 »

--------------------------- DOOMRL Hall of Fame -----------------------------

M 65732  Picklish       CL:8   defeated the Cyberdemon       L25  AoMr
  M 55760  Picklish       CL:8   killed by a Cyberdemon        L25  AoI

If there's only one Cyberdemon, then it should probably be "the" in all cases, such as in the high score table and your mortem.  It might also be incorrect in game, but I couldn't easily check.  ;)

tisiphone

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2007, 18:08 »

Hi, I’m playing 9.8.7 version of DoomRL (1) and I think I found some typos, though I admit my linguistic skills aren’t great (so my apologies if it’s all crap :-) ).

Reloader description:
First line – “The humanity!”. I’m not certain if I’m right on this but it doesn’t make much sense to me. Perhaps something along the lines of “The humility!” or “The humiliation!” was meant? :-S

Demon description:
First line – “You thought pink is cute?”. It seems to me like the tense of that sentence is a bit screwed. Something like “You thought pink was cute?” or “You think pink is cute?” would probably work. I would also suggest dropping the “You” in that sentence to sound more imperative – “Think pink is cute?”.

Arachnotron description:
First line – “Evil almost pure”. It reads to me like a contradiction as pure and evil suggest to me opposing imagery. Maybe “Evil, almost purely so” or “Almost pure evil” would be better. :-)

(1) Argh, sorry to start of with criticisms. The game’s great and has kept me from doing anything important for days. :p So sorry if I come of sounding negative.
I want my games for entertainment and escapism, not ethics education, thank you very much.

DisaffectedBeta

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Typos *puts on editor's cap*
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2007, 23:45 »

What was the context for the "humanity" quote?  I forget.

Your second idea is correct, the tenses need to match.

The third could easily be changed to "Evil, most pure," (like murder most foul).  "Almost pure evil" sounds good (though why not just say "pure evil?"  Is the Arachnotron subject to fits of kindness?), but "evil, almost purely so" lacks punch.

Don't worry about criticisms :)  Kornel's quite the gentleman.  He's made a good game, so I think he doesn't sweat the small stuff and really pays attention to suggestions.

tisiphone

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2007, 05:11 »

Quote from: DisaffectedBeta
What was the context for the "humanity" quote?  I forget.

It’s from the reloader trait description. The full thing goes as following “The humanity! My big gun is out of bullets! I can’t believe it!”. As a bit of extra nitpicking maybe “bullets” should be changed to “ammo” as the BFG, plasma rifle and rocket launcher don’t use bullets and I’d say they are pretty big guns ;-).

Quote from: DisaffectedBeta
The third could easily be changed to "Evil, most pure," (like murder most foul).  "Almost pure evil" sounds good (though why not just say "pure evil?"  Is the Arachnotron subject to fits of kindness?), but "evil, almost purely so" lacks punch.

“Evil, most pure” still reads like a contradiction to me. In my head it makes “Evil, undefiled” plus the comma makes me want to add “3.95, limited addition, get it while in stock” :p. Something along the lines of “saturated” to replace “pure” might do the trick for me but if I’m the only one bothered by this then I guess it’s not necessary. 
I want my games for entertainment and escapism, not ethics education, thank you very much.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4