Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 02:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: The Third Slot  (Read 7850 times)

pacmanus

The Third Slot
« on: May 11, 2012, 03:51 »

We have by winding up two slots for quick switching weapons. You can enter the third - for example, to use some sort of quick things, such as first aid kits, or phase devices... may work on some critical situations...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 03:53 by pacmanus »

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
Re: The Third Slot
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 05:39 »

Maybe we could have a trait for that?

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 12:20 »

Well, as long as you play Technician you can count any consumable in your inventory as 'prepared', due to the low use-time. For them, this option - such as has been discussed up until now - would be useless.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 21:49 »

In a way, though, that's true for all of the innate perks - Scouts get a free level of Hellrunner, while Marines get a free level of Ironman. The main difference between them and the Technician is that there'd only be one level for the ability, that being 'on'.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Thexare

• Elder
  • Captain
  • I think I need a new favorite gun now...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 02:08 »

The main difference between them and the Technician is that there'd only be one level for the ability, that being 'on'.
No, the main difference is that Technicians would gain nothing at all from this trait. Scouts can still take Hellrunner and get speed boosts, Marines can still get extra HP from Ironman.

(which may be what you're trying to say, maybe not, can't make assumptions)
Former Human Corporal
1/42 M, 7/60 S, 3/30 A
[ 6 / 1 / 0 / 0 / 0 ]

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 06:41 »

Scouts get a free level of Hellrunner,

Not quite. But they also get a free level of finesse. And half of a reloader.

I don't really see the point or balance in adding a third 'quick use' equipment slot.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 07:35 »

They do all actions faster.Including waiting, picking things up, using items and so on.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

pacmanus

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 22:28 »

Some enemies use phase device when got a critical damage. Maybe, Player will have second chance... if it will be like trait - phased once per level if critical damaged - or use medikit from inventory if needed...

Creepy

• First Sergeant
  • Duelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 01:56 »

Enemies use a phase device, if they picked up a phase device and use it. The same way a player picks up phase devices and uses them. Medikits, too; enemies have to find, pickup, and use medikits in the same way a player would have to find, pickup, and use a medikit. They don't just randomly get to use it for free, they use items on their turn if they found one.
Formerly Hell Knight Warrant Officer [16|7|5|1|0]
Currently Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant [18|10|3|0|0]
Current Goal: ???

GinDiamond

• First Sergeant
  • Warrant Officer-Mancubus, trying to get all Bronze
    • View Profile
    • GinDiamond Stuff
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 08:43 »

Some enemies use phase device when got a critical damage. Maybe, Player will have second chance... if it will be like trait - phased once per level if critical damaged - or use medikit from inventory if needed...

Speaking of which, why can enemies use a phase device in the middle of a volley?

On an Ao100 run (and regular games, and on AoMc), I noticed that a baron without armor should fall to p-modded chaingun (on AoMc) in a single volley.
However, what's wierd is that if they have a phase device, they use it and it works before my volley is finished unloading.
Any ideas on how to fix this bug?
Do not muddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 10:24 »

What?

Barons have 60 HP.  Your p-modded chaingun does 1d7x4 = 28 max.  That's not "should fall ... in a single volley", and that's without counting in its natural armor, and assuming all the shots hit (AoMC shots CAN miss, but it's very unlikely).

If you want your to kill a baron in a single volley, you'd need a LOT more than that.

Did you mean Hell Knight?  Cause even *that's* not true.  Mainly because they have 50 HP.
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17

Creaphis

• Backer
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 15:06 »

Monsters don't get free turns to use their medkits/phase devices. All the same, though, it would be nice if they didn't use these items so reflexively. There should be a one- or two-turn delay before the monster realizes, "Oh jeez, I'm pretty injured. Maybe I should use this medkit?" Heck, the player usually doesn't use a medkit until it's too late, why should monsters be any smarter?

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 15:29 »

Monsters don't get free turns to use their medkits/phase devices. All the same, though, it would be nice if they didn't use these items so reflexively. There should be a one- or two-turn delay before the monster realizes, "Oh jeez, I'm pretty injured. Maybe I should use this medkit?" Heck, the player usually doesn't use a medkit until it's too late, why should monsters be any smarter?
This calls for some randomness in the AI.  =)
I computed, therefore I was.

pacmanus

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 05:41 »

What about the feature?
To be or not to be?

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 05:59 »

As to the feature, it's a nice thought. I don't really feel it would add anything to the game as presented, and as suggested by others may detract from the game as presented. I would say 'review and rethink' if you're still keen on it.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.
Pages: [1] 2  All