Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 15:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: New Ideas for Special Levels  (Read 20050 times)

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: New Ideas for Special Levels
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2012, 22:19 »

Hmm.  How about this, N! improvement has always been on the lists for a while.  Why not make it even more unbalanced with the wild stuff?  That'll make N! more incentivious to play, and challenge those crazy N! players more.
I computed, therefore I was.

Kashi

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • I'm going with the Alucard now
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 07:31 »

If I had to choose, I would go with wild and unbalanced vs methodical and balanced.
I second this. If you were to play a methodical and balanced game with little to none random stuff, many strategies can be made that would ensure a perfect, complete run with zero chances of failing.
0.9.9.5 - Archvile 2nd Lieutenant
[22][10][5][1][0]
"Tururu..."

Creaphis

• Backer
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, 10:57 »

I'd say we should allow DoomRL to do what it does best. DoomRL is very "methodical and balanced" as far as roguelikes go. With all the control that the player has over his build, his route through special levels, his choice of difficulty level and challenge game, the player can always know pretty much exactly what he'll be up against from the beginning of a game. This is not a bad thing - DoomRL bridges the gap between roguelikes and other turn-based strategy games, and caters to people who want to have more control over their play experience. Other roguelikes often put the player against much more randomness right from the outset, so you find yourself playing the game the RNG wants you to play, not necessarily the one you wanted to play. This is also not a bad thing. It's just not what DoomRL specializes in, and we don't need to cram any square pegs into round holes.

Shoop da Whoop

• First Sergeant
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2012, 12:32 »

Even if this sounds ridiculous and adds too much diversity… We can splice game into "campaign"/"classic" mode and "random"/"less balanced" mode.
Code: [Select]
He had posted some posts.
He waited enough for new version of DoomRL.
He played classic Doom but not passed. He also played rogulikes. And once he found the intersection of these sets...

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2012, 09:40 »

I second this. If you were to play a methodical and balanced game with little to none random stuff, many strategies can be made that would ensure a perfect, complete run with zero chances of failing.
I would really like to give my sincere congratulations to anyone who can actually play _that_ well.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Xtremekiwi

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2012, 10:37 »

I would really like to give my sincere congratulations to anyone who can actually play _that_ well.
* Xtremekiwi points at 2dev.
although even he might occasionally lose.

GinDiamond

• First Sergeant
  • Warrant Officer-Mancubus, trying to get all Bronze
    • View Profile
    • GinDiamond Stuff
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2012, 13:08 »

Sorry for being such an a-hole!

I understand the weighted thing now.

Now, where can i find a complete tutorial on how to make custom enemy AI for my module?  (the Unique stair level thing)?
Do not muddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2012, 16:20 »

Now, where can i find a complete tutorial on how to make custom enemy AI for my module?  (the Unique stair level thing)?
I take it you've already found the less-than-complete tutorial. I've always meant to come back to it, especially because I've been handling most of the AI updates and changes to the actual game for a couple of versions. If there's something small and specific you want to ask about, insomuch that you want to know if it's possible at all, then feel free to ask in the appropriate thread. (BTW the tutorial I linked in that thread earlier should be compatible with the current version by now. If it's not, just let me know what the errors are and I'll try to take care of them at the earliest convenience.)
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

GinDiamond

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • GinDiamond Stuff
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2012, 09:01 »

Yeah, I found the tutorial.

Okay, I'll see what I can do...
Do not muddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

GinDiamond

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • GinDiamond Stuff
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2012, 11:47 »

Anybody have a good Monster AI tutorial anywhere???

I mean, a complete one...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 16:04 by GinDiamond »

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2012, 12:21 »

Anybody have a good Monster AI tutorial anywhere???

I mean, a complete one...
If you have any specific questions about whether or not certain algorithms are included in the API, go ahead and ask them in the Modding Tutorial thread. I believe that I covered most of the important ones, but I know there are some special circumstances that involve less obvious functions.

If you want to know "how to make a monster smart", that's not specific enough to give a concrete answer. Rather, you should pose the question by stating an action or series of actions, then ask "how to I get my monster to do this?" Writing artificial intelligence has less to do with DoomRL and more to do with the analysis and evaluation of algorithms. Hopefully all of the necessary pieces are provided to you in the API, at which point all you have to do is write out the steps yourself. (Specifically, the AI object in DoomRL is extremely open-ended and, aside from what is explained as the "rules" in the tutorial, entirely up to the modder with regards to its makeup.)
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

GinDiamond

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • GinDiamond Stuff
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2012, 12:37 »

Oh. Okay!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All