Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 06:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Where's the rest of the music?  (Read 6798 times)

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
Where's the rest of the music?
« on: May 18, 2012, 15:25 »

It's mostly just the first episode's soundtrack in the game, along with an occasional track from Doom II or Final Doom thrown in. Where are the tracks from episodes 2 and 3? They used to be around, but are no longer there.

It's getting really tedious listening to the same stuff over and over again, particularly on Ao100. And I liked the original Tower of Babel music: made it real fun fighting the Cybie.

Edit: And while we're on the subject, why are the tracks for maps 4 and 7 switched by default? Easy enough to fix, of course, but it's odd.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 15:28 by Potman »

IronBeer

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Carry on, citizen.
    • View Profile
Re: Where's the rest of the music?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 21:27 »

...along with an occasional track from Doom II or Final Doom thrown in.
Without checking the music.lua file, I'm pretty sure that any music from Doom II or Final Doom is not being used by default. The current default is: Sonic Clang's remixes of all 9 Episode 1 tracks, plus custom tracks by fellow Chaosite Simon Volpert for the special levels.

Older (pre-graphics) versions of the game did in fact use midis from all three episodes.

Music and sound are particularly easy to mod. If you aren't happy with something, I'd invite you to change it! I've heavily customized my music and sound luas to significantly improve my experience.
0.9.9.7 Mancubus 1st Lieutenant
[19/12/5/1/0]

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 01:02 »

Without checking the music.lua file, I'm pretty sure that any music from Doom II or Final Doom is not being used by default. The current default is: Sonic Clang's remixes of all 9 Episode 1 tracks, plus custom tracks by fellow Chaosite Simon Volpert for the special levels.

I'm pretty certain that Hell's Armory track, and possibly the one from the Wall (Hell's Weapons and the Brick Song) are remixes of a Final Doom track.

Music and sound are particularly easy to mod. If you aren't happy with something, I'd invite you to change it! I've heavily customized my music and sound luas to significantly improve my experience.

First I'd need to find the music from somewhere, in nice clean mp3 forms, preferably in comparable remix quality.

pacmanus

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 04:10 »

There is my variant! Thanx to OverClocked ReMix Community!
http://doom.ocremix.org/main.html
Click on media to download track by track!

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 08:15 »

I'm pretty certain that Hell's Armory track, and possibly the one from the Wall (Hell's Weapons and the Brick Song) are remixes of a Final Doom track.
I don't know what counts as a remix here.  Do you mean sampling directly from the music, or borrowing the motif and embelishing it?
I computed, therefore I was.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 09:10 »

First I'd need to find the music from somewhere, in nice clean mp3 forms, preferably in comparable remix quality.
Here's a link to Simon Volpert's DoomRL music. Search around for a place called Doom Depot and you'll stumble upon a site with all the official Doom music you'll ever need. (Dark Side of Phobos (from pacmanus's link) is a really great soundtrack that's also free, and I suggest looking into it as well.)

I just took a listen to all the TNT tracks and I didn't find anything significantly comparable to what Simon's released. At best, Map08 has the same kind of drive that a few of his do, but that's no more a comparison than stating that all heavy metal sounds the same.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

pacmanus

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 22:05 »

4Potman
Check out kinkiness doom remixes - http://www.kinkiness.de/music.html
Some sort of industrial and ambient sound.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 22:07 by pacmanus »

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 01:16 »

I'm aware of the Dark Side of Phobos, and while I do think the music is pretty great, it does not much make for a fast-paced game such as DoomRL - by which what I mean is that by the time some of them are even beginning to hit on the stride, I've already beaten the level and moved on to the next one.

The Map08 of TNT was what I was talking about: I think it's pretty close to call it a remix.

But thanks for your link, pacmanus. I'm looking through those and seeing if it'd go well, although at least some of the music has the same problem as the Dark Side, as mentioned above.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 01:19 by Potman »

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 05:24 »

The rest of the music is in your heart.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 13:19 »

The rest of the music is in your heart.

No wonder my games always end in destruction and/or insanity...
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Simon-v

• Composer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Only Human
    • View Profile
    • The Life and Works of One Simon Volpert
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 14:26 »

The Map08 of TNT was what I was talking about: I think it's pretty close to call it a remix.

I feel i need to address this.

A remix is an alternative version of a song, created by modifying the original recording, or building upon it. None of my tracks to date are built upon any other track, nor they use parts of it as basis. At best, they incorporate a musical phrase, a rhythmic pattern or a chord progression from other sources for richer sounding, or, sometimes, as a nod or reference. This is not enough to consider a track a remix.

Hell's Weapons in particular, did not incorporate any bits from Into The Beast's Belly until a very late stage in the composition process, perhaps two or three revisions before the release. The Brick Song was also created independently, with no parts directly borrowed from any Robert Prince track, though the very first few seconds might sound vaguely similar to his Dark Halls if you're listening carefully enough, but this too was not my intention in the first place, and the rest of the track is strikingly different. Similarly, i could explain the origins of every one of my tracks, but, really, do i need to?

I'd really appreciate if you treated my works as originals and not as remixes. At the very least, this would be consistent with what actually is, not mentioning "more respectful".

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 14:29 »

From one musician to another: what program/gear/whatnot did you use to compose this? It reminds me of my ScreamTracker days, except for the better sample quality...
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 14:34 »

what program/gear/whatnot did you use to compose this?
Try this post. It may have changed some since then, though.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver
Pages: [1]