Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 05:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: City of Skulls: All the Nails my Coffin Will Ever Need  (Read 14858 times)

pacmanus

Re: City of Skulls: All the Nails my Coffin Will Ever Need
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 07:03 »

Don't know about weapon information, lazy to read =) but on view - same way with low splash.
Lost Souls need some of.

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 07:17 »

Yeah, I guess. Never tried it before, only assembled it once for the badge. How is its knockback (for rocket jumping) compared to the vanilla RL?
The same formula.
6d6(+SoB bonus)/2 tiles for RL, 5d5(+SoB bonus)/2 for micro launcher.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 11:11 »

Double shotgun is probably the best weapon for City of Skulls, but I usually decide to toss it before then =/

I think City of Skulls has probably caused me far more grief than the Mortuary.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 14:03 »

I think City of Skulls has probably caused me far more grief than the Mortuary.

No shit. Man is this level getting on my nerves. I just went through it 3 consecutive times, with only one attempt considerable as a success. After which I naturally completely fuck up the next level.

It's a pity that the few chances I get to play this game can get thwarted so easily. But then again I'm a fool for letting it get to me.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Creaphis

• Backer
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 17:44 »

Not to diminish your struggles or anything, but I'm honestly at a loss how City of Skulls can be causing anybody trouble outside of AoMr or non-blademaster AoB runs. A major part of the problem is that you're actually over-preparing. Blasting the agony elemental with rockets will just scatter the pain elementals and lost souls that it spawns and leave you surrounded. Just keep bathing the agony elemental and its spawn in shrapnel damage and they'll die before they leave their starting tiles. Also, lost souls do 3 damage on average, so unless you're planning on meleeing the agony elemental, wearing any armor with more than 2 protection is fairly pointless and will just drag your move speed down. Wear light armor or go naked so that you can actually run when you need to.

IronBeer

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Carry on, citizen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 19:30 »

There are a few tactics I like to use for the City. For a fairly general build, I like to go in with at least a Tac Shotty and a shell box (ideally). I use that combo against isolated pain elementals, then soften up the Agony Elemental with a few BFG blasts. Once I've critically injured the AE, I switch back to the Tac Shotty or melee and clean up. Finishing off the AE with a BFG usually destroys the skulls, which negates the larger point of why I go in there (if I make it so far, I NEVER skip the Halls of Carnage). Of course, things seldom go that smoothly, and if I wind up surrounded (as can happen right after pulling the lever), I REALLY like to have a Phase or 2 on hand.

MAD and MBM are both friggn' hilarious on this level (MVm has fallen out of my favor as of late, maybe I'll give it a go later). MAc is good as always, but you need to be careful to avoid getting swarmed- focusing fire on pain elementals first is the best way to control lost soul spawning. With a twitchy-ass trigger finger, you can generally mop up any straggling souls once the elemental is dead.

My "default" build is what I call Malicious Rocket Scientist- MMB followed by Juggler and Whizkid. I try to build a Tac RL in favor of the ML, so I can focus on rocketjumping to get in some poor bastards' faces with a modded Piercing Knife. It works pretty well here, since it lets me mix up my engagement range and permits me use all the tactics described in this post and earlier in this thread. (offtopic pssst- rocketjumping is stupid good on CC+)
0.9.9.7 Mancubus 1st Lieutenant
[19/12/5/1/0]

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 20:18 »

The agony elemental has an awful lot of armor that's going to make shrapnel pretty wimpy.  A combat shotgun will take quite a while, and it gets more annoying on HMP when there's already enemies around.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 23:14 »

So far I've tried the double shotgun/shellbox combination, which actually works pretty good, except 1 box doesn't cut the mustard. Luckily I had 2 packed.

Maybe I should try and get him in the mood with some BFG action first..

Not to diminish your struggles or anything...

Don't worry, I'm simply not that good a player, and I know it. And especially on evenings like yesterday, when I appear to exhibit all the brain activity of a medium-sized smoked haddock, this can lead to very frustrating games.

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 01:12 »

So far I've tried the double shotgun/shellbox combination, which actually works pretty good, except 1 box doesn't cut the mustard. Luckily I had 2 packed.

Yeah, double shotgun is probably the best thing (short of a butcher's cleaver with a MVm build) when dealing with hordes of lost souls like in the beginning or when dealing with the agony elemental.  What Klear said is a good idea and it's something I've never thought to try: alt-fire to use just one shell against lost souls.  I just really dislike carrying a double shotgun that far into the game when I rarely use it. 

On that note, I wonder if alt-firing the double shotgun would be a good way to deal with the lost souls in the Anomaly?

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 12:13 »

Wow, current run is going bonkers. Killed the AE without getting hit once, collected another skull on the level after the city. In the Lair, I just wizzed to one side, assumed first-strike / easy cover position and offed all arachnos with the chainsaw, getting hit (with plasma) 3 or 4 times tops. Chainsawed the Cyberdemon high on Invul.

Subsequently had all my armors destroyed (was dumb enough to leave my spare on the floor in the UC). My luck turned the next level, which spawned 2 Invuls that I kept until the level was clear. Popped both, rushed into the Vaults and speared everything save 1 arachno before they wore off. Got rewarded with both Onyx and Gothic armors.

For the Mortuary, I now have:

• Longinus Spear
  • Onyx and Gothic Armor
  • 2 BFGs, one of which is B-modded
  • Nucular Plasma Rifle
  • 4 Skulls (2 hatred / 2 fire, I think)
  • Homing phase

Took a break cause I should actually be doing other stuff, but man... I feel like a kid in a candy store.

Or at whack-a-mole.

Sanctus

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2012, 13:28 »

My "default" build is what I call Malicious Rocket Scientist- MMB followed by Juggler and Whizkid. I try to build a Tac RL in favor of the ML, so I can focus on rocketjumping to get in some poor bastards' faces with a modded Piercing Knife. It works pretty well here, since it lets me mix up my engagement range and permits me use all the tactics described in this post and earlier in this thread. (offtopic pssst- rocketjumping is stupid good on CC+)

Cruel.

Napsterbater

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2012, 18:43 »

To pass the City of Skulls, all one really needs is a double-shotty and a shell box, one of which is guaranteed in Hell's Armory. Use the shell box in the beginning to clear the area around you of skulls, then  your regular weapon to deal with the stragglers. Then use the shell box again for the AE fight. You may need more shells if playing UV.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2012, 23:08 »

You may need more shells if playing UV.

Even on HNTR, 1 box doesn't cut it.

pacmanus

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2012, 03:37 »

Played AoSh - my formula is tactical shotgun or assault, and for second slot double shotgun.
Juggler is needed.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 03:40 by pacmanus »

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2012, 08:00 »

Use the shell box in the beginning to clear the area around you of skulls,

Or you could use a phase device and save the entire box for the AE.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All