Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 07:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Directional LOS i.e. FOV  (Read 2738 times)

Mr.Peanut

• Private
    • View Profile
Directional LOS i.e. FOV
« on: November 01, 2007, 08:01 »

I know this idea would involve a huge amount of work, but I am curious how if it has been suggested and how it is received.

The basic idea is to give the player and monsters a field of view(FOV) similar to the original doom. Your LOS would be a 120 degree wedge centered on the direction you are facing. This also implies a change of player control simailr to that of doom i.e. turn left/turn right, strafe left/right, forward/backward, and perhaps a turn 180 degrees control.

It would also be necessary to have a hit indicator, an arrow that points in the general direction(8 compass points) from which you were hit, or just points center, left and right, like the original doom.

Monsters would not be able to see anything outside their FOV, but for simplicity they would have a range-based chance of detecting the player outside their FOV, and they would always detect a player after he uses a loud weapon.

edit: Okay, okay. It was a very stupid idea that would serve only to slow down gameplay.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 08:26 by Mr.Peanut »

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Directional LOS i.e. FOV
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 11:43 »

FOV has been discussed and Kornel decided the lighthouse problem (take a step, turn in every direction, take a step...) was too much inconvenience for too little gain (you could argue that you wouldn't have to play that way, but you'd be far likelier to die by not doing so).  It's also been done in a proof-of-concept fashion with a game called Urban Warfare, but in that game there's a significant time cost for turning which means that you can't do the lighthouse thing and have to skulk close to walls so as to have the best chance of seeing the bads before they see you (it's also a bit more forgiving than DoomRL would be in similar situations; you can get out of sight and not necessarily be pursued, and you can also take 10 hits total where in DoomRL you'd be lucky to survive 5 hits by BOH fire).

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 13:06 »

Some more realism on LOS would still do good for us all. Such as, smaller creatures - lost souls and company - could hide behind barrels and larger creatures. Just about anything could stay behind a mancubus and remain hidden. Or would this be too difficult to do as well?

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 14:22 »

As long as that went both ways, I could see that being interesting, though it could be hazardous to the player's health.

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 01:09 »

DoomRL has nothing to gain from LOS.
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."
Pages: [1]