Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 16:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Just another items from original DooM  (Read 14943 times)

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Just another items from original DooM
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2007, 02:15 »

forced
..err.. fourthed
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Const

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 07:00 »

Need more cells !

In original, there are not enough cells to kill all enemies. Why in DoomRL must be otherwise?

How about adding second type of ammo packs that are generated across levels, like in original DooM. There were 2 types of packs for each ammo type: 5 bullets in clip, and 50 bullets in box, 8 shotgun shells in pack, and 25 shotgun shells in box, 1 lone rocket, and box of 5 rockets at once, 40 plasma cells in little battery, and 100 cells in big battery.

But what can be sense of them? In original, sense is simple - if you pick big pack when almost at maximum ammo, you lost the rest of pack (the same as in AliensRL). But in DoomRL, the rest will be left on floor, and can be picked later.
If there are not enough ammo, it's better to raise pack size and/or their probability of founding. Those changes easier to make and easier to balance.
Badges [B/S/G/P/D]
16/12/5/1/0

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2007, 08:15 »

In original, there are not enough cells to kill all enemies. Why in DoomRL must be otherwise?

Friend, I often have not enough cells to kill those few enemies that were designed to be killed with cells... ;)

Const

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2007, 11:15 »

I often have not enough cells to kill those few enemies that were designed to be killed with cells... ;)

First, what do you mean? I do not know about such enemies.
Second, in Hell Arena 60 cells, in Chained court 120 cells, in Hell Armory >=180 cells. They aren't enough? I don't count random cell packs.
Badges [B/S/G/P/D]
16/12/5/1/0

tisiphone

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2007, 11:29 »

Need more cells !

How about adding second type of ammo packs that are generated across levels, like in original DooM. There were 2 types of packs for each ammo type: 5 bullets in clip, and 50 bullets in box, 8 shotgun shells in pack, and 25 shotgun shells in box, 1 lone rocket, and box of 5 rockets at once, 40 plasma cells in little battery, and 100 cells in big battery.

But what can be sense of them? In original, sense is simple - if you pick big pack when almost at maximum ammo, you lost the rest of pack (the same as in AliensRL). But in DoomRL, the rest will be left on floor, and can be picked later.
If there are not enough ammo, it's better to raise pack size and/or their probability of founding. Those changes easier to make and easier to balance.

While I agree that the general availability of power cells is about right as is, I don’t really see this change as a problem if Kornel doesn’t mind applying it. It doesn’t really hurt the game in any way that I can think of but it would be a nice thing just for a) nostalgia reasons and b) just because it seems like a nice feature. The only problem I see is if the bigger power cells (or whatever) will need some way to distinguish between the small ones how will that be shown on the screen?
I want my games for entertainment and escapism, not ethics education, thank you very much.

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2007, 11:43 »

First, what do you mean? I do not know about such enemies.

I meant that killing Foos, Imps or even Demons and Cacodemons with PR or BFG is a waste of ammo (this is only mine opinion, right ?). And with my awesome luck I encounter many of those big dudes (like AVs, Mancubi and other BoHs). This is why I always lack on power cells.

Const

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2007, 13:21 »

And with my awesome luck I encounter many of those big dudes (like AVs, Mancubi and other BoHs). This is why I always lack on power cells.

Of course, plasma rifle and/or BFG are good, but they are not obligatory. Chaingun, RL or perhaps new double shotgun also good. It's not counting extra-fast pistol or
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Badges [B/S/G/P/D]
16/12/5/1/0

Dervis

• Nightmare Berserker
  • Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2007, 03:51 »

I also find this would be a nice feature, as it happens atm in the game your only reliable source of ammo are the former captains/sargeants and special levels as random ammo in maps is way too few in the later levels.

On another point i second (or 5th) that 'Need more Cells!' but i find it more important to make bigger power cells stacks in inventory. In Doom you could carry 200 Bullet Ammo, 50 Shells, 50 Rockets and 300 Cells, in DoomRL the proportion could be made a bit fairer imo.
I find it really annoying to use 5+ lines of inventory on power cells and see them disappear really fast when you need to fry bigger monsters.

Const

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2007, 07:08 »

I can think of but it would be a nice thing just for a) nostalgia reasons and b) just because it seems like a nice feature.

There are some distictions between Doom and DoomRL. And because them, some features from Doom won't do for DoomRL. In particular, Doom and the RL version have essential distinctions in ammo/inventory system (for example, ammo system in AliensRL is more similar to Doom than ammo system in DoomRL). And because them, big packs of ammo are useless for DoomRL gameplay.
Nostalgia isn't enough reason. For making big packs it is needed to increase length of code, and it does not change gameplay and does not change game appearance, in contrast to graphic and sound changes.

The only problem I see is if the bigger power cells (or whatever) will need some way to distinguish between the small ones how will that be shown on the screen?

Also don't needed. There are already can be different packs (dropped by enemies or player). And their appearnce, of course, isn't change, because there are can be a lot of different sizes.

And the main. One size of pack is better for decreasing luck influence, than two different sizes, when probability of founding a unicue pack is equal to sum of probabilities of founding two others, and size of unique pack is equal to average pack size of two others. For example, if small pack have size 20 and probability 4%, and big pack have size 100 and probability 1%, it's better to replace them by pack with probability 5% and size 36.
Badges [B/S/G/P/D]
16/12/5/1/0

tisiphone

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2007, 11:20 »

Quote from: Dervis
On another point i second (or 5th) that 'Need more Cells!' but i find it more important to make bigger power cells stacks in inventory. In Doom you could carry 200 Bullet Ammo, 50 Shells, 50 Rockets and 300 Cells, in DoomRL the proportion could be made a bit fairer imo.
I find it really annoying to use 5+ lines of inventory on power cells and see them disappear really fast when you need to fry bigger monsters.

Yeah, I was actually thinking of that a couple of days ago. I think that would be quite cool.

Quote from: Const
There are some distictions between Doom and DoomRL. And because them, some features from Doom won't do for DoomRL. In particular, Doom and the RL version have essential distinctions in ammo/inventory system (for example, ammo system in AliensRL is more similar to Doom than ammo system in DoomRL). And because them, big packs of ammo are useless for DoomRL gameplay.

Yep, I agree with you a 100 %. In fact that was part of my point. It will not do any harm to the gameplay so, hey, what’s the worst that could happen*. 

Nostalgia isn't enough reason.

That just seemed like a slap in the face. As far as I can see, the only judge of that is Kornel. And personally I quite like the nostalgic factor of the game.

Also don't needed. There are already can be different packs (dropped by enemies or player). And their appearnce, of course, isn't change, because there are can be a lot of different sizes.

The key word was *If*. And if I remember correctly the ammo packs that are spawned on their own are always the same size. Though that is a good point as to why they (if ever implemented) should not need an additional visual representation.

And the main. One size of pack is better for decreasing luck influence, than two different sizes, when probability of founding a unicue pack is equal to sum of probabilities of founding two others, and size of unique pack is equal to average pack size of two others. For example, if small pack have size 20 and probability 4%, and big pack have size 100 and probability 1%, it's better to replace them by pack with probability 5% and size 36.

That depends on how the packs are spawned. For example if there are five 20 packs in one room, it might be more efficient to place them as one pack.
Also the line between skill and luck in games is not as clear cut as you put it, in my opinion. For example if DooMRL was just a game of shuffling recourses from A to B to achieve a certain goal – it would most likely not appeal to many. And in the same way if it was just a roll of the dice that decides wherever you have succeeded or not it probably wouldn’t be much fun, either. So it might well not be better, strictly speaking, to do as you suggest.

* Some unforeseen bugs, I know. But that shouldn’t be a determent for adding features. Not in my mind at least.
I want my games for entertainment and escapism, not ethics education, thank you very much.
Pages: 1 [2]  All