Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 22:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27

Author Topic: [IC] The Lesser of Two Heresies.  (Read 113615 times)

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
Re: [IC] The Lesser of Two Heresies.
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2012, 13:23 »

I guess finding information over the Internet is an Int test... If so, congratulate me on my fail. Rolled 39, while my Int is 34.

Mate, we're on a spaceship. There's no internet here. Also, the Dark Age of Technology, so there is no Internet at all.
How do you think the Inquisitor's Facebook profile would look like, eh? :P

Van Bohr nodded.
"How silly of me. Of course.", he said, reaching for the badge and showing it to everyone in the room. "This is very careful of you, young man. Almost to a degree of paranoia. And very couragerous to actually demand something from your current position. Impressive, yet I must advise you to be more careful on how do you adress people. Many in my place would have you shot for that.  But how did you know about rosettes?"

Wild step here, Klear. Keep it up and maybe you'll survive. That's 50 xp for you.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2012, 02:27 »

MkLear feels something like relief, although that is a relative term, especially when facing an Inquisitor.
"Every Imperial citizen knows about the Rosettes," he replies carefully, unable to shake the feeling that the Inquisitor is testing him.
"Otherwise they would be quite useless. I have to admit I've never seen any with my own eyes. Quite a sight."
MkLear knows he's beginning to babble which is not a good sign. The words come out almost automatically, while he recalls the design of the Rosette.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He abruptly stops speaking and makes a half-step backward into the bench.
"I'm sorry if i spoke out of turn, but a little paranoia might come in useful on our assignment. We don't have any more questions," he looks at Lazerus and HexaDoken, as if looking for help. "Do we? I think we can move onto the briefing now."
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 02:46 by Klear »
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2012, 02:54 »

A simple nod is all Lazerus has to add.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2012, 03:18 »

"Sure." - HexaDoken replies, while still looking at the nothing. Looks like he is stuck in some semi-thinking state. - "The briefing is the only thing we now need."
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 23:04 by HexaDoken »
2nd Lieutenant Hell Baron, Body Count: 43879
Wins:[1|7|1|0|0] Deaths: [7|90|26|16|2] Badges:[18|10|4|0|0]
Highest Score: 214763
Currently Doing: AoB HNTR

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2012, 16:28 »

Van Bohr stands idly for a while, measuring you with his cold, unemotional gaze.

"Good", he exclaims. "Very good."

The air echoes with the sound of his footsteps, as he starts walking around the room. Slowly.

"The globe you can witness through the glass at the wall to your left is Malfi. It is the capital of Malfian subsector of Sector Calixis. The Hive world containing just one city, the Malfi. Five billion inhabitants. Local heavy duty equipment manufactures are not devoid of meaning to local produce. In fact, these are the most of local produce. It is a place of great importance. Perhaps this being the only reason we hadn't razed it yet."

He bolts a spit, then proceeds on.

"At the top of this great, dark tower there is nobility - a legend around our kind. Malfi is a political warzone. Lord Sector Marius Hax used to look at their plotting right through his fingers, because this is what keeps this place running effectively. This might sound not unlike a paradox, but it is true. If any one family grasped the supremacy over all the planet, it would become unsound..."

A slow shake of the head.

"Of course, there are borders nobody - even Throne-blind-them Malfians - should cross. About two months ago we were forced to send two whole companies of Grey Knights to Thyss due to local unrest. Our agents collected enough proof for us to suppose that Marik DeLark, head of the House DeLark, had his share in supporting the rebellion that forced us to raze a profitable mining site."

The Inquisitor takes a look at you before he goes on - as though he wanted to know if you catch his drift.

"Unfortunately, the same proof that leads us here is inadequate for us to issue a direct charge against the count DeLark. In order to bring the foul traitor to the light alongside with all his crimes, we need something more... obvious. This is where you kick in."

You would promise that a faint smile came across the man's face.

"Of course we are far from sending folks of your kind to a nobleman's hold. Or, at least, not oficially."

The smile is gone.

"Our informants on Malfi rarely get to hear anything interesting, but not this time. One of our sleeper agents depeched us about a large criminal group occupying The Underhive. Stray Hounds, as the call themselves, are said to plan on a large heist... Right where we want to get in. You have three objectives: the first one being finding our man that will guide you to where the group is believed to gather. The second one involves blending with it, perhaps gaining their leader or leaders' trust enough to let you in their action. The third one... Once you get, Emperor protect you, inside the DeLark Estate, you are to find any suitable proof that would speak against the traitors. Once you are done, I'll have my men collecting you and bringing back here. Provided you survive. Throne protect you so that you did."

Once again he looks at you, his face expressing absolutely nothing.

"Now, on the reward, because everybody has to eat and drink."

He claps his hands. Suddenly, a segment of wall slides away, revealing a small compartment. From the inside, a servitor - a cyborg lacking free will - stumbles, carrying a leather briefcase. Van Bohr takes it, then sends the robot back to where he turns off. The door shut behind him.
With a loud click, the case opens, revealing three medals made of black steel - Inquisitorial rosettes.

"Each one of you takes one, so that people would know that you work for me and they are obliged to give you any help you would desire. Do not overuse it, though. Remember that they may open many doors before you - but might shut some dead as well. Some of these doors might also squish you to death."

He walks towards every single one of you and waits until you grab your rosette.

"Of course - if any of thieves realizes that you work for me, the mission is failed and we will have to terminate you. Do bear this in mind. If you succeed, you will be given anything you want. Who knows? Maybe some of you even become ones of us someday?"

After you are done with officials, he returns behind the altar.

"Do you have any questions? Of course you do. It is the matter of your lives."

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2012, 23:24 »

"Whoa."
Upon receiving the black medal, HexaDoken's look pauses at it... in awe. No, seriously, Inquisitorial Rosette just at the first serious mission for Inquisition? That obviously is much more than this mercerenary expected.

He quickly hides it somewhere under the jacket.
"This mission sounds easy enough... but the 'everything you want' kind of reward obviously points that it is not. Neither you would just give rosettes to someone like us, right?

Stray Hounds... I would like to have more information about them, if possible. Namely, how powerful are they. I can already guess that they are powerful as hell, but a bit of specifications wouldn't hurt. Generally, I'd just like to know who I'm going to deal with.

Other than that, no questions probably...
"

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2012, 23:36 »

With an aversion that probably shows as  - for the first time -  his expression changes for a few seconds, Lazerus takes the rosette from the box and examines it. Without looking up, he responds to Van Bohr's question: "We won't get anywhere with these Stray Hounds as long as any of us are still obivously wearing other gang's colours, or any other outfit that marks us as obvious outsiders."

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2012, 04:07 »

MkLear palms the rosette, a look of slight disbelief in his eyes. This is going to be serious business, his look says for a fleeting moment. Then he gets a hold of himself and joins the conversation.

"We just need a likely story why the three of us wish to join their outfit, Laz. We are all newcomers here on Malfi, right? Maybe we pulled a heist and it didn't work out. We had to find a place to hole up and Malfi is as good as anywhere to do just that. And just in case the authorities are following us, we're in a desperate need to allies. If we can show the Stray Hounds we are dependable, pull a few jobs for them, they might be willing to have us join sooner than you'd expect, sure as sure. As for the guardsman," MkLear turns to the Inquisitor, "would it be possible to have the official records say he is AWOL? I'm not sure if these gangers have the means to check that, but it would be a nice touch if they did."

A slight frown crosses his face, while his head is busy considering different plans and schemes - most if not all of which will probably have to be abandoned when faced with more facts.

"How much time do we have for this? Do you know when they are planning to do this heist? I think we can infiltrate them, but not if we're on too tight schedule."
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 04:23 by Klear »

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2012, 06:43 »

"We just need a likely story why the three of us wish to join their outfit, Laz. We are all newcomers here on Malfi, right? Maybe we pulled a heist and it didn't work out. We had to find a place to hole up and Malfi is as good as anywhere to do just that.

Lazerus slowly shakes his head, and speaks, still in the same calm, flat voice:

"Requires too many lies to make a shaky story at best. We'd be better off looking like drones and having a simpler scheme going."

« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 10:39 by LuckyDee »

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2012, 06:51 »

MkLear frowns at Lazerus for interrupting his train of thought.

"Well then you two can be drones, if that's what you do best. I intend to make a good impression. And how can you be sure I'm lying about my history?" he adds with a mischievous smile.

"Anyway, like I was saying..."

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2012, 11:37 »

Lazerus has no more to contribute; all he can do is cast a glance at HexaDoken, wondering what he'll make of this blatant display of ignorance.

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2012, 23:08 »

"Drones, meh..." - replies HexaDoken with yet another stupid smile. - "Whatever..."

Looks like he finally returned in his "I don't take anything around anywhere seriously" state. But it might only look so.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2012, 03:51 »

Without any further comment or gesture, Lazerus resumes staring into space again, this time focusing on Malfi.

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2012, 14:10 »

Van Bohr awaits until everybody falls silent.
"As for Stray Hounds, as they call themselves, you shall be told more about them by my informant you are going to meet after you land.", he explains. "But as for now, I can tell you they are a large gang of about three hundred souls, engaged in quite a few turf wars at the moment and mostly dominating the local scene. They are led by the man of nickname >>One-Eyed Fennec<<. Which is surprising, we completely lack any data concerning him. He has no name and no criminal record at all. It is more than possible that he's an off-worlder."

You peek at the rosette.
The medal of polished black steel is round, around five centimetres in radius and resembles a small octagonal sun with a round hole in the middle. Inside it there's a three-dimensional miniature model of human skull. The sculpture is pretty complex - you can actually see every single detail of the artifical bone.
There are a few words inscribed on the wheel, but you can't understand them.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2012, 14:21 »

Lazerus proceeds to pull some strands of cloth from his robe-like clothing, making small incisions with his knife and then carefully tearing of three strings. These strings are then twined into a braid, which he pulls through the rosette. As he hangs it round his neck, he takes another look at it and says, without taking his eyes off the badge: "Tell us what words we will be fighting for."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27