Other Roguelikes > DiabloRL

Suggestion for difficulty levels and game restart

(1/12) > >>

TFoN:
You all probably know how in Diablo, game-restart w/developed char and difficulty levels make for very high playability and char development, but I've thought about it, and it might hamper scoring and ranking, which we all seem to enjoy very much in DoomRL.

So, I've thought up a system which should be able to implement both sides, and possibly more (that is, whenever difficulty levels will even be used here :) ):

* there are the normal Diablo difficulties: Normal, Nightmare and Hell
* unless monster spawning will be implemented (is this even being considered?), games can be restarted like in Diablo
 Each new character is then restricted as so:

* you can start on any of the difficulty levels
* you can go to higher diff.lvls with little restriction (maybe some requirements like with DoomRL), restarting the game world as usual
* you cannot, however, go back to easier diff.lvls with that char
* like in Diablo, by limiting XP gain or the like, you can only reach certain char.lvls on lower diff.lvls, making restart-scumming much less useful
* in order to encourage and reward harder play, relatively minor perks, like extra stat-gain, will be given for leveling up on higher diff.lvls. This way, the earlier you enter higher difficulties, the more potential your char will have throughout the entire game, while not easing it up so much that higher diff.lvls are "the same but different". This may make some items and spells only realistically (or possibly officially) usable by hard players, making the very hardest stages reachable by others - but only passable by them
I'm very much looking forward to everyone's thoughts and feedback on this one.

DaEezT:
I thought about this too but didn't really bother posting because DIabloRL is quite early in the developement stage ;)

Anyway, my idea would be to only allow restart with characters who successfully finished the game. Sorta like Chrono Trigger etc. The game creates a victory save that allows you to start a new game at the next higher difficulty setting (_not_ the same) and o/c deletes the save upon start.
This would keep the rogue like feel of the game (no simple restart for item/xp scumming) and it would make beating the game on higher difficulties a real challange because you have to make it thorugh all the lower difficulties with that char. And it wouldn't break the score system.

And if this turns out to be too hard a certain item from other RLs might find it's way into DiabloRL ;D

TFoN:
Frostmourn this time? :P

I'm a little afraid that it will prove a bad thing, going through the ENTIRE game just to get to more challanging grounds, and then go YASD and do it ALL over again, when the most serious strain is the numbing ease of Normal.

DaEezT:

--- Quote from: TFoN on December 24, 2006, 15:21 ---Frostmourn this time? :P

--- End quote ---

I thought more along the lines of a free AoLS whenever you move up to a higher difficulty :p

TFoN:

--- Quote from: DaEezT on December 24, 2006, 15:43 ---
--- Quote from: TFoN on December 24, 2006, 15:21 ---Frostmourn this time? :P

--- End quote ---

I thought more along the lines of a free AoLS whenever you move up to a higher difficulty :p

--- End quote ---

Hehehe :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version