Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 07:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Suggestion for difficulty levels and game restart  (Read 41217 times)

Zephyre Syx

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion for difficulty levels and game restart
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2007, 16:50 »

I'm beginning to understand.

*crosshandz*  You want and Everlaster mode and HardCore mode.  OH CRAP, I just figure it out. \m/
If anyone played ToMEnet like I do, everlaster are guys that don't die.  They just loss there's sh@t in there inventory, and are revived at towns.  Unworldly, and Hellish(stats penalty is halved), are hardcore characters that once they die, THEY DIE!

But, uh...

Really though, while this is an nice idea.  Let's wait awhile and make the HardCore mode as a default, before moving on into other modes.  That way, we can see what we could work with before making additions, and balancing.
"Nah, it's not that those ideas are bad, I'm just trying to show you why I think my way of thinking is better."
-Kornel Kisielewicz

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2007, 16:54 »

Really though, while this is an nice idea.  Let's wait awhile and make the HardCore mode as a default, before moving on into other modes.  That way, we can see what we could work with before making additions, and balancing.

I agree: the game should be aimed (and thus balanced) so it's winnable in permadeath mode. Then, just for fun, add the other mode.

If the balancing is done with everlasting characters in mind (I played TomeNET a bit... and I felt a bit dissappointed:/ Perhaps I'll give it a try again, though :) ) you'll most likely end with an unbeatable game in hardcore mode. And that's no fun.
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

nokturnal

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2007, 17:00 »

*crosshandz*  You want and Everlaster mode and HardCore mode.  OH CRAP, I just figure it out. \m/

I agree: the game should be aimed (and thus balanced) so it's winnable in permadeath mode. Then, just for fun, add the other mode.

yes this is sorta what i was aiming for. drop rates could be lowered slightly in this mode, and any YAVP should of course clearly state that it was played in kiddie mode or whatever :)

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2007, 08:57 »

It's nice when people listen to each other :P

Mmm if I understand this idea correctly, it's not quite what I had in mind. I'm still saying permadeath should be kept in all cases... Just balance the game in normal mode so that only pulling really stupid stunts will get you killed. Hence the term, YASD ;)

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2007, 09:02 »

I'm still saying permadeath should be kept in all cases... Just balance the game in normal mode so that only pulling really stupid stunts will get you killed. Hence the term, YASD ;)
\o/

(yes, I really do want permadeath)
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2007, 09:26 »

Mmm if I understand this idea correctly, it's not quite what I had in mind. I'm still saying permadeath should be kept in all cases... Just balance the game in normal mode so that only pulling really stupid stunts will get you killed. Hence the term, YASD ;)

QFT

This is the example of a good game design in roguelikes - that when you die, you feel it's your fault, not a random event you have no control over.

At most, only make recently spawned characters be able to die randomly, so when you are like 2/3 hours into the game if you die it's because you were stupid enough to do a mistake. In the early game it's not that big of a deal if the character generation is quick enough, you just restart and get on with it. Even then, avoiding too many random deaths shoul be a design aim. It's no fun to have to go through the character creation 20 times to get a chance on really playing the game.

So yeah, go permadeath!
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2007, 04:44 »

Maaaan, people you made a mess in this topic xD. Anyone care to post a summary of things agreed upon? o.O
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2007, 13:54 »

Maaaan, people you made a mess in this topic xD. Anyone care to post a summary of things agreed upon? o.O

We agree that we disagree \o/
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2007, 13:20 »

Yeah, that's pretty much it...

Here it is, AFAIR:

The game-build split was between Normal-Nightmare-Hell streamers and Normal-Nightmare-Hell repeaters.

In most cases we agreed permadeath's a must-have and that once a character progresses past one difficulty level, that same char cannot go back (so going into Nightmare prohibits access to Normal; whether Normal was played once or a thousand times' another matter).
There was some agreement on putting a so-called "everlaster" mode for player enjoyment, though in no way should the game be balanced for it. As a roguelike, the game should be built around permadeath.
If this meant the game will be built around a streamed game with a repeating game for fun, or if the normal mode will be streamed/repeated with an immortal mode for fun, I'm not sure. I don't think having a streamed game with an immortal mode for fun was discussed, but I'm not sure.

Some of us wanted high focus on item drop and quality, and some of us wanted high focus on char development. The rest must've wanted a balance of the two, but I can't remember that being said officially.

vezerrjex the unholy

• Private
    • View Profile
heres a new concept/approach to diablo rouguelike
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2007, 04:11 »

ok well first i see posibilities in this game
1 adom was created in like a couple of hours
2 diablo has long been my favorite franchise
and 3 i can see nothing wrong with progress
in the same that you grow with the game, shouldnt diablo denizens grow with you
just a thought, but one thats never been implemented or given much thought, especially in roguelikes
so here is the concept
your a young man sent to his fathers grave in search of some sort of answer about the reason he died
youve been suspecting that in the town of tristram there lies a dark cult
so you investigate
and find out that your dad isnt dead but rather undead, and so are you but only after calling upon the dark hero, do you realize something is really wrong
its diablo from the oppisite end of the spectrum
just a thought

Santiago Zapata

• Temple Guardian
  • Backer
  • First Lieutenant
  • Roguelike Developer
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2007, 07:20 »

What? I thought it had been made in 7 days...
Slash (Castlevania, Metroid, Drash, ZeldaRL)
Temple of The Roguelike
Slashie.net

Igor Savin

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2007, 10:34 »

What? I thought it had been made in 7 days...

Bwa-ha-ha, that phrase made my day.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]