Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 06:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Ultra-Violence complaint/whine/whatever  (Read 3453 times)

Xtremekiwi

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Ultra-Violence complaint/whine/whatever
« on: June 02, 2012, 12:46 »

Okay, so as someone who isn't too skilled in the game but has a fair amount of experience (Read: Has all bronze, over half silver and a few gold badges as well as having completed HMP 2 times), I find the jump in difficulty from HMP to UV to be a bit too steep.

Now I'm not saying anything about the increase of enemies (Former sergeants for me are a universal problem with their FRIGGING Hitscan shotguns and knockback. Seriously, if you're against a wall and there are 2 sergeants next to each other, unless you have a shotgun yourself you'll simply be juggled to death of you'll get lucky). In fact, the extra experience does help. My biggest problem is how stronger enemies appear earlier. Seriously, Hell Knights on level 3?!? Unless you're going for a shotgun build, they will ruin your day as they take far too many hits to kill at that part of the game while dishing out too much damage to endure.

Now before you say "Why don't you use shotguns then?", I want my first UV win to be on AoMr, so I have no access to shotguns. Even worse: Pain Elementals on level 4-5 and Hell Barons on level 5-6. What's next, Mancubi on level 11 and Arch-viles on level 13? Until you get a master trait (I generally go for Bullet Dance. Yeah, it's my favorite), you'll be forced to ru-oh wait, I also am used to going for YAAM's, so I don't run. Something in me just forces myself to not run until everything is dead, unless there's a time limit like AoRA or I can't kill off everything like AoD.

I know this sounds like me whining and, well, it kinda is, but I just find the difficulty spike to be a bit too steep.
If anyone has any advice on how to survive UV on AoMr, then please.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Re: Ultra-Violence complaint/whine/whatever
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 12:54 »

I want my first UV win to be on AoMr, so I have no access to shotguns.

Well, here's your problem - AoMr is kinda tough. As for advice - I've managed to win AoMr on UV with a masterless build:

SoG->SoG->DG->SoG->Fin->Fin->WK->WK->EE->EE->Int->Int->SoG->SoG

Bullet dance takes too long to get online as the initial triggerhappy is useless before you get to BD.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 15:00 »

Until you get a master trait (I generally go for Bullet Dance. Yeah, it's my favorite), you'll be forced to ru-oh wait, I also am used to going for YAAM's, so I don't run.

Golden rule regardless of challenge/difficulty/experience/whatever: "I am used to" is worth nothing. Shift your expectations if you want to make progress.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 15:47 »

So u say UV is hard.
But that's not enough.
You want AoMr UV as your first win.
Still too easy.
You want YAAM AoMr UV as your first win.  -_-
You might as well try for some diamond as your first win on N! when you'll switch to it.
OK, advice.Cornershoot.The rest is the same.Also lots of tasty exp on UV which really helps later.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 18:06 »

YAAM-ing boils down to two words: patience and strategy.  In HNTR, one can afford to be a bit sloppy and still sort of get through, but at UV+, everything hits much much harder due to the increase in their accuracy.  As an old-timer myself and horribly out of practice, I can say that you'll just need to keep playing UV+ to relearn the mechanics.

There really is no other way.  Sorry.
I computed, therefore I was.

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 18:29 »

Play AoMC first
Then branch out
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Creepy

• First Sergeant
  • Duelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 19:57 »

HMP to UV; major difficultly leap, because of a jump in aggression, mob size, and the medium-size critters show up while you still have small-size guns.
AoMr; additional difficulty leap because you're stuck with low-power pistols until you spec up their DPS. This difficulty modifier synergizes with the earlier medium-level enemies, making things worse than normal UV. And, of course, the increased size of the small-critter hordes that you have to shoot down one at a time.
YAAM; additional difficulty leap because you have to kill goddamn Hell Knights with a low-ammo pistol and few traits on the early levels. Which you could be sneaking by instead.

You're not really dealing with one bump in difficulty, you're dealing with several.
Formerly Hell Knight Warrant Officer [16|7|5|1|0]
Currently Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant [18|10|3|0|0]
Current Goal: ???

Xtremekiwi

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 01:41 »

Okay, so from all the comments that have been posted, my problem is that I am trying to take a much larger leap in difficulty than is really feasible. Okay, I understand, maybe I should try to beat UV regulary first before taking on the challenge paths. Thanks for all the comments and advice. Still though, a UV AoMr run will eventually have to be a reality, but later, after a lot more experience is gained.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 02:26 »

Okay, so from all the comments that have been posted, my problem is that I am trying to take a much larger leap in difficulty than is really feasible. Okay, I understand, maybe I should try to beat UV regulary first before taking on the challenge paths. Thanks for all the comments and advice. Still though, a UV AoMr run will eventually have to be a reality, but later, after a lot more experience is gained.

It took me quite a while to beat UV standard game, but aside from AoMc (which makes things easier) I was first sucessful with AoSh. AoMr followed shortly if I recall correctly (and even with YAAM) and since then I've considered UV to be my new difficulty level. From what you wrote I think you're pretty much my level minus a few weeks, maybe. Trust me, it will get easier.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 17:14 »

And one more note: UV is only a bit easier than N! (and sometimes it is actually harder than N!). That's why some people do like it ;) .

2DeviationsOut

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 18:00 »

Well, my favorite way to do AoMr, either on UV or N!, is to go straight for a master and then into Fin/WK. There's just not a lot that can beat a dual-wielded pair of storm bolter combat pistols with Gun Kata for your reloads. This kind of strategy really only gets going after you get the mods in the mortuary, but if you can survive the early game it's great. All I can say for the early game is -- cornershoot and tactical defense.
Pages: [1]