Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 10:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: The "Stupid Things that happened to me" thread.  (Read 13796 times)

Xtremekiwi

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
The "Stupid Things that happened to me" thread.
« on: June 13, 2012, 04:53 »

When we play DoomRL, we can generally avoid doing some obvious things and do others. Avoid acid/lava, shoot enemies, use med packs when you need to and so forth.
For the most part.

Sometimes, though, you do something so unbelievably stupid that you just facepalm at the mere thought of doing that. Note that the thing that you post must be something that you wuld not do normally and it happened due to sheer stupidity, NOT due to the RNG screwing you over. I made this thread so people can talk about those without having to make a Mortem thread.

I was playing AoP on HNTR. The last few levels went very well, had a number of large med packs, some decent armor (Nano-modded red, was hoping for Powered red), when I got to the Cyberdemon. With my Gatling Gun + Eagle Eye (Cateye build, for anyone interested), I was doing well. But I had to start running when I got low. I got blasted by rocket splash damage, but was still in yellow. I got into position, started shooting...and got hit by a rocket that killed me instantly. Should have paid better attemtion to my health. And I was at a good position to win the game as well.

Pics optional, facepalming is not.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Re: The "Stupid Things that happened to me" thread.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 05:45 »

I was playing Angel of Masochism. I don't remember the build I went with, but I always went for dodgemaster just to pass Cybie without trouble. In one of the runs I finally got to Tower of Babel and Cybie spawned only a few tiles from me. I activated running just to be sure I can reach the best position and start dodging. I think I had full tactical set by that time and hellrunner 2 of course, so I was just moving from side to side in front of cybie, waiting for him to shoot.

He blasted me right in the face, killing me instantly. Then I realized that I didn't have dodgemaster in this run yet (either I skipped a special level or there were too many caves on the way...

Just imagine the speedy marine dancing in front of the confused cyberdemon and then getting vaporized by his rocket.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 05:52 »

I descended to floor 23 on HMP AoB with low health. I appeared almost surrounded by lava barrels, with two pain elementals easily in range of them.
I started hitting them, but the lost souls surrounded me, and I was on about 3% health when I remembered the alternate power of my weapon.
I thought I was using Azrael's Scythe, so I alt-reloaded.
I wasn't using Azrael's Scythe.
Use power for power.

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 06:02 »

Once upon a time, I came home after work, turned on my laptop and loaded a promising AoMC UV run. Got past Cybie, was just pondering whether Mortuary could be survivable, when all of a sudden the laptop turned off.

My batteries were low and I forgot to put the laptop on AC ...
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 06:31 »

While fighting some Mancubi, I got knocked into a middle of a large lava pool, which was previously generated by a massive napalm barrel explosion.
I was wearing Antigrav steel boots, and I had Cerberus plasteel boots in my backpack.
Of course, since standing on lava with antigrav steel boots which totally offer no protection isn't fun, I quickly swapped them with my all-resistant Cerberus boots.
"Your backpack is full! Would you like to drop Antigrav Steel boots on the floor?"
Y
"You wear Cerberus steel boots. You drop Antigrav steel boots. Antigrav steel boots melt!"
YESH IM SAVE-
wait.
FUCK.

I did not facepalm. I nearly broken my desk with my face.
2nd Lieutenant Hell Baron, Body Count: 43879
Wins:[1|7|1|0|0] Deaths: [7|90|26|16|2] Badges:[18|10|4|0|0]
Highest Score: 214763
Currently Doing: AoB HNTR

Shinji_Ikari_9th

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lock and load!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 21:51 »

I remeber a time long ago when I fired a rocket at an enemy point-blank.  Self-Frag anyone?
Over and Out!

Motorheadbanger

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 03:19 »

Self-frag is still a frag.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 06:35 »

I remeber a time long ago when I fired a rocket at an enemy point-blank.  Self-Frag anyone?

Never happened to me in DoomRL before. Getting killed by firing a rocket at a wall point-blank? Many times.

IronBeer

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Carry on, citizen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 10:00 »

Ok, this one's pretty bad, even for a thread like this. It's been quite a while, but I still feel like a massive moron for doing this.

Angel of 100, and I had gotten my grimy mitts on a BFG10k. I didn't use it all that much because of the non-intelligent splash damage and the unpredictable spread. At one point I nearly blew myself up by stupidly firing it into a narrow hallway. You can probably see where this is going.

Level 100. About half of it was clear, and I knew there was a pack of enemies out of LOS on the other side of a river. Because I'm lazy, when I'm trying to "shell" an area outside of LOS with AOE weapons, I move the aiming cursor just one tile in the direction I want to fire. I thought the BFG10k would be perfect for shelling this are I couldn't see.

Yes. I blew myself up on the final level of Ao100 with the goddamn BFG10k.
0.9.9.7 Mancubus 1st Lieutenant
[19/12/5/1/0]

Xtremekiwi

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 10:41 »

Ok, this one's pretty bad, even for a thread like this. It's been quite a while, but I still feel like a massive moron for doing this.

Angel of 100, and I had gotten my grimy mitts on a BFG10k. I didn't use it all that much because of the non-intelligent splash damage and the unpredictable spread. At one point I nearly blew myself up by stupidly firing it into a narrow hallway. You can probably see where this is going.

Level 100. About half of it was clear, and I knew there was a pack of enemies out of LOS on the other side of a river. Because I'm lazy, when I'm trying to "shell" an area outside of LOS with AOE weapons, I move the aiming cursor just one tile in the direction I want to fire. I thought the BFG10k would be perfect for shelling this are I couldn't see.

Yes. I blew myself up on the final level of Ao100 with the goddamn BFG10k.
Ouch! Bet you probably don't want to see a BFG10k ever again. Sadly, I still need to find so I can get one step closer to Armorer Gold. I don't plan on using it myself.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 11:05 »

Ouch! Bet you probably don't want to see a BFG10k ever again. Sadly, I still need to find so I can get one step closer to Armorer Gold. I don't plan on using it myself.

Yeah, I've never ever seen the damn thing as well, though I love all kinds of explosive weapons. I've nearly made the same mistake as IronBeer a couple of times with the revenant's launcher, but I caught myself every time.

Sanctus

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 15:35 »

My stupid things - all my tries at least to complete AoMark. Unbelieveable, I completed AoB, AoSh and AoPc, but I cant even complete Deimos :(

Something stupid happens everytime. Not so long ago I was fragged by sergeant, carring a backpack full of medkits.
Clearing City of Skulls, but on next level I die. It's my curse...

Clearly speaking: stupid thing is pressing 'f' when you just need 'SHIFT+M'
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 15:36 by Sanctus »

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 19:34 »

And that is how Gensokyo was made why I don't use the item shortcuts. I know I'll fatfinger something somewhere.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Zalminen

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • The Good, The Bad & The Random
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 04:10 »

Clearly speaking: stupid thing is pressing 'f' when you just need 'SHIFT+M'
HUH?

I never even knew about SHIFT+M.

...ah. Looks like that quickkey is only in the keybindings.lua file, not in the manual. And the same goes for Wiki as well, the regular Keybindings page does not mention it but the keybindings.lua page does.

No wonder I never noticed it.
Hell Baron Captain (0.9.9.6)
[25/19/9/0/0] m:25 sp:54 as:38

Sanctus

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 04:48 »

o_O first thing I do every new release - comparing old and new config\keybindings

raekuul, almost all times I didnt miss proper key - I ever had no thoughts about it.
Just press f until monster die, wait, oh, SHI~, I dead?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All