Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 22:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Timers for power-ups?  (Read 10316 times)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Re: Timers for power-ups?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 12:35 »

I know the letters "inv" would go darker if it was nearing it's end

They do? Never noticed, never cared... Do whatever you feel is necessary, but apparently there's already more information available than what I'd settle for (namely none).
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Xtremekiwi

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 10:39 »

If there's one thing to change, it's to invulnerability, and that's to make it go dark when there's less than 10 turns left, as Klear mentioned, to at least be able to safely use a nuke. Of course, "Safe" and "Nuke" don't tend to go hand to hand...

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 03:17 »

Handle with care. WTF?
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Cooler_sk

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 03:52 »

I do agree that some kind of indication on how much charge is left. considering that game is turnbased, with completely various amount of things able to happen every turn (reload for 4.0s in turn or shoot in 0.2s at the same one turn). In Doom it was more intuitive, as you could do only so much in that certain time, so you had some sort of feeling how long it gonna last after few uses of powerup.

If exact counter way too out-of-place for the developers, which kinda understandable. I would suggest adding some sort of partial indication - like short bars made of ASCII characters, that dont show exact number, but how much left (full, half, low or such), otherwise - make it visible in "@" character screen as status (like adding "Fully protected", "Not too long till vulnerable", "Will be vulnerable again in a moments" or whatever sounds good for such)

Or add messages for it in event log, prefably coloured, probably the "half-spent" message for powerups would be good (except for berserk probably) unless other powerups add up too, as it various powerups vary in length in different situations.

If everything of thouse fails i would like the curent mark of powerups not just go darker, but actualy, flash between light and dark. Yes, only thouse three little letters in corner, not whole screen, i think that would attract player's attention to fact of runnin of thing just enough.

The DoomRLguy

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2012, 06:17 »

I do agree that some kind of indication on how much charge is left. considering that game is turnbased, with completely various amount of things able to happen every turn (reload for 4.0s in turn or shoot in 0.2s at the same one turn). In Doom it was more intuitive, as you could do only so much in that certain time, so you had some sort of feeling how long it gonna last after few uses of powerup.

Powerup timers are based on how many actions you take, not time.
Unexpectedness is always a surprise.
Arch-Vile Marshal
[26|26|25|16|8|1]
JH: Major [10|9|7|1|0]

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 06:39 »

Powerup timers are based on how many actions you take, not time.

...which is something that could use some tweaking. It's weird how your nightvision goggles' battery lasts shorter if you move at high speed and always reload your shotgun fully instead of one shell at a time.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".
Pages: 1 [2]  All