Chaosforge Forum

• April 20, 2024, 03:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Assemblies  (Read 13956 times)

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
Re: Assemblies
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 08:42 »

And now I'm remembering the old "High Powered High Powered High Powered High Powered High Powered Pistol"
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Napsterbater

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 12:24 »

IS a focused double shotty that useful, really? I mean sure, you have superb concentrated firepower, but the reload time between EVERY BLAST and the fact that the damage is shrapnel (read: is stopped easily by armor without MAD), I think I'd take a tactical shotgun over it any day.
They only have a place in a shotgun run, where you'd take shottyman. They're worth making in Shottyhead and masterless Tech runs. Can't take WK in an MAD run, but even if you could, damage dealing isn't your problem there, so making one would be overkill.

They're awesome because they kill weak formers/imps without fail in one shot, anywhere in your sight range. And they take that damage with them at long range, meaning you can reliably knock back Viles/Arachs/Mancubi at the edge of your vision, giving you time to make it to cover so you can corner shoot them closer up. If you have Shottyhead, you can keep moving towards a Vile while shooting it, you'll probably kill it before it can damage you. Once I have enough ammo to last me the game, I usually drop other shotguns. Bringing more firepower to the table turns out to be worth the need to make a quick step between shots, because my move speed is usually .60secs or less.

Nano-shrapnel, on the other hand, even without the need for reloading, does poor damage, but still knocks your enemy back, meaning you have to stand there and fire over and over and over again, or move, which would reload your weapon anyway if you took Shottyman. Bigger enemies it won't knock out of your sight range. It just isn't as useful as it looks.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 12:26 by Napsterbater »

Napsterbater

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 12:42 »

And on the topic of the Tactical Shotgun, I know I'm probably speaking blasphemy here, but I don't consider it to be that much better than the combat shotgun to be a definite no-brainer. Sure, it deals more damage and you don't need to pump, but I find that in the early game, enemies don't move so fast that pumping makes that big of a difference in your killing power. In the late game, I do most of my killing with a double-shotty in corner shooting position, relegating the combat/tac shotty to auxiliary roles, like taking out lone lost souls/formers.

Making a focused double-shotty therefore becomes a better choice for the mods. A focused DS allows me to change my playstyle, letting me come out of the corners into the open. The Mortuary is doable with nothing more than a P-modded focused DS, and you'll get an assault shotgun there anyway if you really want one. If I have the mods to make a focused double shotty after the armory, I'll hold on to them until WK2 and make do with a combat until I can assemble one. Usually I'll find a second tech mod, that goes on the CS. A tech-modded CS is really an under-appreciated weapon, the increased fire-speed makes up for the pump, producing a weapon that fires almost as fast as a tac shotty without using a precious power mod.

Edit: Looking at the Wiki, a tac shotty fires in 1 second, whereas a combat shotty fires in 1 sec with a .2 second reload time. A tech mod cuts fire time to .85 seconds, meaning a T1 combat shotty can fire and pump in 1.05 seconds. If you have WK1 or 2, you may want to think about just putting the mods on the CS without turning it into the tac version.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 13:00 by Napsterbater »

Buzzard

• Bronze Supporter
  • Elder
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 13:40 »

If you're doing a Shottyhead run then the Tactical Shotgun becomes way more valuable.
Hell Baron Captain [16/12/8/0/0]

Napsterbater

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 17:22 »

If you're doing a Shottyhead run then the Tactical Shotgun becomes way more valuable.
Just wait until the Mortuary and pick up the guaranteed assault shotty, and slap your power mod on it. Makes the SM go down easy.

Buzzard

• Bronze Supporter
  • Elder
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 08:32 »

Just wait until the Mortuary and pick up the guaranteed assault shotty, and slap your power mod on it. Makes the SM go down easy.
The guaranteed Assault Shotty that's all the way in the top right? The Assault Shotty that you cannot reliably phase to? The Assault shotty that's guarded by a minimum of two or three Archviles (on the lower difficulties) and a boatload of corpses?

That is not a guaranteed Assault Shotty for every run.

Napsterbater

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 09:00 »

It's at the bottom-left, and it's good to learn how to clear the Mortuary, rather than just trying to get to the exit. It's not THAT hard. If you're not playing AoSh, then you should have at least two BFGs and a boatload of cells, including the power battery from the Spider's Lair, which you can then drop after you leave it. (you won't need them for SM if on a MSh run) Just don't fire them in the bottom-left side of the map. You should also have a skull or two, hatred's really nice. You'll need a medpack or two, but not too much more, as there's plenty of healing in the Mortuary. You'll need a few stacks of shells, but enough sergeants spawn so that you'll be good. Rockets help too, but aren't strictly necessary.

If you're just trying to get the Assault Shotty, then yeah, you can reliably get it every run.

Buzzard

• Bronze Supporter
  • Elder
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 09:21 »

I dunno, just seems like an awfully big risk if you're playing certain Angel of games.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 10:57 »

Besides, you can get tactical shotty on Phobos if you're lucky... by the time you get to the mortuary, you are either steamrolling everything or almost dead anyway.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Napsterbater

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 11:09 »

Well, with Shottyman and a Double Shotgun, the Shambler goes down really easy. If you aren't playing AoSh, then shoot rockets/missiles left as soon as you pull the lever, really softens him up. There's a good chance of getting that essential power mod you need for a TS in the lab cache. But I'm arguing that the TS isn't as much of a no-brainer as it seems. You can do just as well with a T-modded CS, saving the Power mod for Power Armor/FDS. Of course, if you get a bunch of power mods, sure, finish your TS, but I honestly don't think you need one, seeing as how a T-modded CS fires almost as fast as a TS.

Once you get MSh, the picture changes, a TS becomes more powerful than a CS, But I find that by that time I'm using a DS for most of my killing. A TS is nice to have, but not really necessary.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 11:12 by Napsterbater »

Sanctus

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 04:39 »

Guys, just keep Focused DS in arm, and DS prepared, and everything is ok :)

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 07:39 »

Guys, just keep Focused DS in arm, and DS prepared, and everything is ok :)

Whoa, I read that as "Dragon Slayer" ...

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012, 08:13 »

Whoa, I read that as "Dragon Slayer" ...
Everything is okay if you keep one of those equipped, though
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Kashi

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • I'm going with the Alucard now
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2012, 10:27 »

Everything is okay if you keep one of those equipped, though
Especially if you combine it with a BA
0.9.9.5 - Archvile 2nd Lieutenant
[22][10][5][1][0]
"Tururu..."

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2012, 11:13 »

Imagine haveing two DS with BA and if they worked with malicious blades... that would probably make permanent 95% resistance to everything and more damage than necessary for anything.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All