Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 06:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Brightness  (Read 5808 times)

Tim James

• Elder
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Brightness
« on: July 21, 2012, 18:38 »

I really appreciate this engine that lets me use ASCII-like graphics fullscreen on my LCD monitor. But please figure out a way to make the colors a little brighter or easier to see. I'm getting a bid of a headche squinting at the screen. I assume some of that is for mood and atmosphere so do what you can.

I didn't see a news thread for this game anywhere. Should I expect a new version within 6-12 months? Early beta for donators?

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: Brightness
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 19:26 »

Hello there!  AliensRL is still undergoing development, and will have a release soon, but Kornel needs some feedback on the community on what he should release next (and thus focus energy on giving the next release RL some polish).  If you haven't voted yet, you should express your preference for AliensRL here to let him know.

I'm not Kornel, so I can't say what he has planned, but I think that when we have a larger support base for AliensRL, we can expand the AliensRL forum to support more features just like how the DoomRL community is having now.

Thanks for your interest and feedback!  =)
I computed, therefore I was.

Napsterbater

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 19:54 »

Your terminal colors are defined by the operating system, any game that uses the terminal can only pick between the colors the terminal is using. You should be able to redefine them in your terminal config. You didn't give an OS, so I can't give more specific advice here.

Alternatively, you may find a colors definition file in your game folder. I know DoomRL has it, not sure about AliensRL. You may be able to shuffle the colors around to brighter ones if you play with it.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 07:09 »

Your terminal colors are defined by the operating system, any game that uses the terminal can only pick between the colors the terminal is using. You should be able to redefine them in your terminal config. You didn't give an OS, so I can't give more specific advice here.

Alternatively, you may find a colors definition file in your game folder. I know DoomRL has it, not sure about AliensRL. You may be able to shuffle the colors around to brighter ones if you play with it.
You are wrong man. AliensRL got a non-console version some time ago, and this one is really dark (and somewhat troublesome to play).
I think I have mentioned about the issue few times, let us hope it will be tweaked.

Alternatively, there is a (pseudo?) console executable available here:
http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,3137.msg26889.html#msg26889

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 03:29 »

You could always change the sprite sheet.... >.> Which is totally not helpful at all.

... I assume some of that is for mood and atmosphere so do what you can. ...
You are correct that the darkness is for atmosphere, but we will see what can happen. Well, unless it's decided that the character is short sighted and half blind to explain the darkness. :D
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 15:22 »

You are correct that the darkness is for atmosphere, but we will see what can happen. Well, unless it's decided that the character is short sighted and half blind to explain the darkness. :D
On a related note, let's hope we won't get more short sighted while playing this game :P .

Lomaster

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 13:01 »

You make all the tiles bright by opening config lua with a text editor and changing gradual_light   to false. Although as stated above it utterly kills the atmosphere. So when i tried it AliensRL lost it's charm and became like an average plain roguelike. But of course it's up to you.

Ziusudra

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 15:19 »

You make all the tiles bright by opening config lua with a text editor and changing gradual_light   to false. Although as stated above it utterly kills the atmosphere. So when i tried it AliensRL lost it's charm and became like an average plain roguelike. But of course it's up to you.
You can increase the value for gradual_brightness by a fraction without completely ruining the atmosphere. Also, the config.lua was just added with this version.
Pages: [1]