Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 05:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Best mods for Nuclear plasma rifle  (Read 9442 times)

ultimate26

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
Best mods for Nuclear plasma rifle
« on: August 09, 2012, 11:19 »

What do you guys put on it if you had:

FIN-WK-SOB-SOB-TH-TH

I always try to put atleast 1 B mod and the rest either Ps or As.

Any thoughts?

Side Question: Focused Double Shotty vs Jackhammer with 2 TH.  which one is better to keep?

Thanks guys

Reef Blastbody

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Big McLargehuge
    • View Profile
Re: Best mods for Nuclear plasma rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 12:07 »

Bs and Ps all the way. Shouldn't really need As as much because it is already fairly good in that regard, Ts maybe (1s is okay). I'm never really blessed enough to have so many mods rolling all over the place that I can afford to be fussy, but if I did, Bs and Ps. I can always use more ammo and more damage. On everything.

As for your side question, this one is tough for me. If it came with the Nuclear Plasma Rifle above, I'd go for the Jackhammer. Why? Well, after emptying the Nuclear Plasma Rifle and waiting for it to reload, I'd be paranoid about getting caught with my pants down with the focused double shotty and needing to reload that too. With the Jackhammer, at least I'd have a lot more shots available to me before having to reload.

With Shottyman? Focused Double Shotgun.
HERE COMES THE NIGHT TRAIN

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 14:11 »

Plasma rifles need one Agility mod to keep it from missing so much.  Once you have that, Technical mods and Bulk mods are worth much better.  This is in-line with Thomas' original guide to playing DoomRL.  All these are under the assumption that you are not getting EE -- you may substitute each A-mod with one EE taken.
I computed, therefore I was.

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 14:21 »

each A-mod with one EE taken.
Each 2 A-mods as EE gives +2 and A-mod gives +1.
And quite strange build imo.
Without EE i would go with A2T1 or A1P1T1 - instead of increasing possible number of inaccurate shots (B-mod), i'd increase have less shots my each of them is more likely to hit, making your overall damage output much more stable.
With EE (and if you can take it you really should do it) T1P2. And with WK2 add two B-mods.

Added: and btw, how do you get nuclear plasma at character lvl6?

Added2:i would keep FDS.Jackhammer is one big black shell hole.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 14:22 by AlterAsc »
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 01:49 »

Added: and btw, how do you get nuclear plasma at character lvl6?
A lucky vault, perhaps? If I understand the formula on the wiki here correctly, a nuclear plasma can be generated on the very second floor on N!.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

ultimate26

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 10:48 »

I got it on spiders lair, probably had more levels but i usually go for 2 TAN then badass for the extra health

As for jackhammer, trigger happy adds an extra shot which makes it really good no?

Anyone know how accurate is a plasma rifle without EE or A mods? whats the hit rate?

1 A mod is enough to make it decent?

I dont like getting EE because I often start with shotgun juggling for no reload speed then try to go for assault chaingun assembly so that my gun is accurate by nature without the need of EE, then 2 TH make the assault chaingun a really powerful weapon along with the hyperblaster.

Late game i always use the nuclear plasma with hyperblaster on my 2nd slot to kill stuff but I like having a Focused double shotty handy for crowd control and melee option.

now FDS vs Tactical Shotgun? which one would be better?

It does make sense that you dont want to have to reload with FDS after nuclear ran out but FDS does very tasty damage when corner shooting

Napsterbater

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 12:49 »

now FDS vs Tactical Shotgun? which one would be better?
My usual answer is that the FDS is a better use of the mods, but if I have that choice, I'm usually playing a shotgun build. Without Shottyman the choice isn't as clear. You don't really need all that damage when corner shooting as you can just use a TS (or any normal/focused shotgun for that matter) to lure enemies in range of your heavy hitting rapid-fire weapons. FDS just seems to waste a power mod here. Out in the open, reload times would kill if you planned on using it more than once, you're better off with a missile launcher

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 13:43 »

Anyone know how accurate is a plasma rifle without EE or A mods? whats the hit rate?

1 A mod is enough to make it decent?

I dont like getting EE because I often start with shotgun juggling for no reload speed then try to go for assault chaingun assembly so that my gun is accurate by nature without the need of EE, then 2 TH make the assault chaingun a really powerful weapon along with the hyperblaster.
Basic accuracy of chaingun and plasma rifle(and nuclear one too) is +2, which is 74% chance to hit in point-blank range.
This means that near the border of your vision your chance to hit is 50%.
With EE1 it becomes 74%, with just one agility mod and no EE it is 62%.
See the difference?If you want to rely on rapid-fire weapons you really should take EE if you can.If you can't and you don't have MAc at least put agility mod.
Hyperblaster have +4, so it's okay to use it without EE but benefit from taking EE is still noticable.

About Jackhammer and TH - yes, it is more or less good, but as enemy gets knockbacked from every shot, every next shot deals less damage. After all it's always about shells and Jackhammer(especially with TH) burns them fast.So beware of running out of them.

ultimate26

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 15:21 »

My only rapid fire weapons are assault chaingun and hyperblaster, anything before that is shotgun juggling.

So you recommend having atleast 6 to accuracy when using rapid fire weapons for better results?

My ideal build goes like, FIN-JUG-SOB-SOB-WK-TH-TH then TAN but i should maybe add a EE somewhere in there?

Creaphis

• Backer
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 13:40 »

One thing to consider is that adding P mods to a rapid-fire weapon can be counter-productive if you already have a few points of SoB. Once a weapon is capable of doing 12 damage per shot, it'll start causing knockback, which means that you'll start knocking enemies out of visual range, and all shots get an automatic 50% accuracy cut when they fly into the dark.

I once made a burst nuclear plasma rifle. I don't recommend it, partly for the knockback issue but mostly because it's extreme overkill against the wandering single monsters you find while you're exploring. You also have to wait a long time for the clip to fill back up after you've burned all your ammo away with just a few large volleys. An F-modded nuclear plasma rifle has the same problems.

I had the pleasure once of finding two sniper mods in a single game (I might have been playing as scavenger) and I stuck them both on the nuclear plasma. With Int(2), 99% of all opposition died before laying eyes on me, at zero ammo cost. I'd say that was the ultimate nuclear plasma build.

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 14:20 »

So you recommend having atleast 6 to accuracy when using rapid fire weapons for better results?
One level of EE can't hurt and really helps.And it's much more helpful then TaN.
In your build i would insert EE after you start using rapid-fire weapons, meaning probably right after WK.
Also you may want to consider taking WK2 before assembling hyperblaster to mod it further with P/T/F.

IronBeer

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Carry on, citizen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 16:19 »

Can a nuclear plasma rifle be made into a Hyperblaster? That would probably be one of the best mod setups for the nuke p-rifle if it can be done.
0.9.9.7 Mancubus 1st Lieutenant
[19/12/5/1/0]

Reef Blastbody

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Big McLargehuge
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 07:41 »

Kind of like how the combat shotgun is still a shotgun, but can't be made into an elephant gun, the hyperblaster has to be made out of a regular plasma rifle. Nuclear plasma rifle is an entirely separate weapon.

Nuclear hyperblaster would be kind of crazy awesome, but probably too good for an Advanced Assembly. Possibly too good to even exist, since it would beat out a nanomac'd plasma rifle, and that's a Master Assembly.
HERE COMES THE NIGHT TRAIN

IronBeer

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Carry on, citizen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 10:40 »

Possibly too good to even exist, since it would beat out a nanomac'd plasma rifle, and that's a Master Assembly.
That's debatable. And I'd submit that a vanilla Plasma Rifle with unending ammo beats out any Hyperblaster.

In the context of limited ammo, the Hyperblaster is better since it puts out about as much firepower as a regular plasma rifle, but with the ability to "modulate" the ownage. A Hyperblaster can be used efficiently against weak enemies due to the lower burstcount, and enables more tactical options with the reduced firetime.

When it comes to a situation that demands balls-out ridiculous maximum firepower, the Nanomanufacture Plasma Rifle wins easily. Even a Nuclear Hyperblaster would need to stop and recharge eventually.

That said, I'd still like a definitive answer if anybody knows if a Nuclear Hyperblaster can be built. I'm away from my main machine and DoomRL so I can't test this myself. I honestly have no intuitive guess for this one; I'd think that it could be done, since the Biggest F'in Nuclear Gun is a thing, and yet...
0.9.9.7 Mancubus 1st Lieutenant
[19/12/5/1/0]

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 11:55 »

No there's no such thing as nuclear hyperblaster.Definitely.You can only do assault one, but that's a waste of a good gun.

Btw hyperblaster puts out more than regular plasma as (2d4)x3 is done in 0.5s.
More over, with TH2 hyperblaster deals 10 shots in 1.0s, while vanilla plasma only 8.
Even better - T-hyperblaster has firetime of 0.4s so it's 2.5 times faster and iirc it's da best rapid-fire weapon (aside from bfg10k).
Pages: [1] 2  All