Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 11:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Best mods for Nuclear plasma rifle  (Read 9495 times)

Reef Blastbody

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Big McLargehuge
    • View Profile
Re: Best mods for Nuclear plasma rifle
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 13:05 »

No there's no such thing as nuclear hyperblaster.Definitely.You can only do assault one, but that's a waste of a good gun.

Wait, how do you make an assault hyperblaster? I thought you could only add one mod to a completed assembly?

HERE COMES THE NIGHT TRAIN

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 13:14 »

Sorry for confusing you, i meant assault nuclear plasma.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

Reef Blastbody

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Big McLargehuge
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 13:21 »

Sorry for confusing you, i meant assault nuclear plasma.

Oh! Yeah, no worries. Isn't Burst Cannon Nuclear Plasma also an option?

And since you brought it up... Why do you view Assault Nuclear Plasma as a waste of a weapon? Do you mean just vanilla? I think an Assault Nuclear Plasma with a Firestorm on it or a Power mod on it would be pretty awesome.  If I went Burst Cannon Nuclear Plasma, maybe a Sniper pack. Unless there's something I'm not taking into consideration (other than the fact that not everyone always takes EE2 like I do)

Those are fairly ridiculous though.

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 13:45 »

Short version: because assault rifle assembly is quite not good.

Long version:
Example:
A2 chaingun vs assault chaingun
+4 accuracy both, both use 4 bullets.
I assume all shots hit.
Against enemy with 0 armor one deas (1d6)x4 other one deals (2d5)x2. 4d6 vs 4d5.Really "cool" increase in firepower.
If enemy has armor, then assault is a bit better.
If you have SoB2, you will deal more damage with A2 chaingun because most of the enemies had 2 or less armor.
If you have SoB5 and fire against enemy with 2 armor: (1d6+3)x4 vs (2d5+3)x2. Even "cooler" than without SoB.
Triggerhappy helps a bit, but at the cost of your ammo.
The same applies to plasma rifles, but plasma damage cuts armor in half, so you don't care much about each shot being stronger.
Assault plasma is  (2d6)x3, right? You lose the same 6 cells, but you deal less damage.There are much better ways to improve your DPS and use your mods, than using this crippled assembly, which was good in the past.
End of long version.

Bout burst cannon:
1d9 x 8 with +0 accuracy, and maybe one more mod.If you don't have EE2 your shots are not likely to hit anything exvept walls.
With the same EE2 you can do P2T3. 0.6s firetime, same +2 dices.And it's more accurate.

The best DPS setup for plasma rifle (and nuclear too)(assuming you max SoB and TH) is A2T3 for no-EE wieldes and T3 and something for those with EE.

Added: probably i got a bit carried away. Assault rifle assembly is at best when you're completely incompetent with rapid-fire weapons and it becomes worse when you become better.Burst cannon has the same problem,but to a lesser extent.I mean that if you have SoB5 and your burst plasma deals 1d9 it means that quite often bullets will knockback the enemy, and due current implementation most of the time you will knockback your enemy out of your bullet path, so rest of the volley will miss.
It leads to such problems like A1P3 plasma rifle is worse than A1 plasma rifle if you have SoB5.I experienced it myself and was quite confused when i saw enemies surviving two or sometimes even three volleys of (1d10+5)x8.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 14:01 by AlterAsc »
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

Reef Blastbody

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Big McLargehuge
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 14:05 »

Good stuff! Now we're talkin', this is exactly the indepth kind of look I wanted on these guns. I rarely if ever use chainguns, so this helps show me why modding a plas in a certain way is "bad"; it isn't bad as a weapon per se but it isn't any more efficient than just using a chaingun with far less mods and way earlier on (which means it's redundant from a DPS viewpoint, as you've stated).

I'm totally obsessed with the nuclear plasma rifle, so I usually aim for that, hence my love of EE (sometimes even Cateye).

I'll have to see how a TTTPP one works out, and, luck willing, a TTTFF or at least TTTPF.

Nanomac'd weapons are funny because you can just spray and spray, but it isn't so funny when they get you killed because they're missing shot or not doing as much damage as they could me.

IronBeer

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Carry on, citizen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 23:18 »

(Analysis)
Mmmph. I didn't bother crunching the numbers; rather I was going sort of by "feel". Also, I was considering a Nanomanufacture P-rifle, which doesn't need reloading.... ever. To me, bottomless ammo is a pretty nice selling point, though I'll freely admit that the Hyperblaster is one of the best weapon assemblies in the game, and is easily capable of eclipsing an unmodded p-rifle.

Nanomac'd weapons are funny because you can just spray and spray, but it isn't so funny when they get you killed because they're missing shot or not doing as much damage as they could me.
Just reserve a single A- or S-mod, or take a level in EE. The former should always be available since the assembly needs WK2, but the latter option may not always be possible. Furthermore, SoB and TH are your best friends with bottomless magazines. The old requirements for Ammochain were WK2 and TH2.... the natural synergy was downright stupid, especially since old Ammochain flat-out stopped ammo consumption for rapid-fire guns.

(Minor derail) Also, a Nanomanufacture Rocket Launcher is absolutely hilarious.
0.9.9.7 Mancubus 1st Lieutenant
[19/12/5/1/0]
Pages: 1 [2]  All