Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 22:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Optimization, the Wiki, and more!  (Read 17589 times)

Reef Blastbody

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Big McLargehuge
    • View Profile
Re: Optimization, the Wiki, and more!
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 12:44 »

NOOOOOOOOO

Ah, I wasn't sure! The wiki is wrong then and I need to fix it.

The wiki states the adjustment from high powered as "Original + 2", which I took to be for example, 3d3, which I took to be (3d3)+2, as opposed to 3d(3+2), ie 3d5.

I'll adjust it for clarification to prevent these kind of gaffs.

Thanks.
HERE COMES THE NIGHT TRAIN

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 12:48 »

It meant either original (number of dice) or (size of die) (depending what is higher) and not original damage.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 12:50 by AlterAsc »
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

Reef Blastbody

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Big McLargehuge
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 13:35 »

non-Tech can be quite happy with it and focus their traits on something more useful than taking Fin2.

MGK with HP pistol is a gamble.8 bullets may not be enough to kill someone if something go wrong.

So basically...

Tech/MSs : No point to using an HP pistol
Scout/MGK : Gamble when using HP pistol
Marine/MBD : May enjoy an HP pistol

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 13:40 »

Tech may enjoy HP pistol until they get WK.Meaning until lvl8 probably.And if they're not afraid to lose one P-mod.
Scout - kinda.
MBD - strange conclusion.With clip of 4 and MBD you have to reload your pistols after just 2 shots.Not enojyable at all.

Reef Blastbody

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Big McLargehuge
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 14:07 »

Tech may enjoy HP pistol until they get WK.Meaning until lvl8 probably.And if they're not afraid to lose one P-mod.
Scout - kinda.
MBD - strange conclusion.With clip of 4 and MBD you have to reload your pistols after just 2 shots.Not enojyable at all.

Okay, so HP pistols only useful (kinda) to Scout, and possibly Techs that have extra mods/unconcerned with optimizing assemblies post WK2, and Marines that want to use pistols but not MBD... haha.

When you put it that way, it still sounds like "not a very good idea for anyone" at all, but I suppose there are extremely narrow applications.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 14:47 »

and Marines that want to use pistols but not MBD... haha.

Masterless marine pistol build is actually pretty awesome. I'd even say better than MBD.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 14:59 »

If going masterless pistols i would choose either Scout for easy Int and MCe, or Technician for easy access to WK.
Badass and 10 hp and  increased powerup duration don't seem the best choice for pistol build.
Though i did masterless marine too, but that was because i didn't bother thinking.

Reef Blastbody

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Big McLargehuge
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 15:39 »

Okay. Let's see if I can get all up to speed on this thread to date.

For people looking to do a pistols run :

If you are a Technician with WK2, the best thing you can use is likely going to be P3B2 pistols, or if available, P3B2 combat pistols.

If you are a Marine and you're going for MBD, with WK2, the best you can use is likely going to be A1B3P1 pistols or P3B2 combat pistols. If you do not have WK2, the best you can use is likely what, (A) Pistols, or if available, (P) Combat Pistols? If Masterless and no WK2, an HP Combat Pistol?

If you are a Scout and you're going for WK2, P3B2 pistols or P3B2 combat pistols. If you are a Scout and no WK2, (P) Pistols and (P) Combat Pistols?

Trying to condense it to be wiki'able as a little blurb and then I can tack on all of the "here's why" beneath it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 15:42 by Reef Blastbody »

Reef Blastbody

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Big McLargehuge
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 09:37 »

Alright! We're moving on from the Pistol and the Combat Pistol; I'm satisfied with what we have for now and if anyone wants to change/add what I'll be putting in the wiki when I get home, they're more than welcome to do so.

Next on the list...

The Blaster

and

The Speedloader Pistol.

The Blaster does the same damage as a Pistol, although it is Plasma based. It only has +3 accuracy instead of +4 like a Pistol. They both use Aimed Shot. Where the start to differ is that the Blaster has a larger capacity of 10, shoots a little faster and reloads a little faster. However, the Blaster regenerates its own ammo.

Being as similar as it is, is there any reason to put different mods aside from P3B2 on the Blaster in an ideal set-up?

As for the Speedloader Pistol...

The Speedloader Pistol is an assembly, meaning that if you don't have WK2 when you build it, you're not  going to be modding it anyway.

This means you basically get a regular pistol (same accuracy, damage, clip size, firing time, ammo, etc), with the major difference being that the reload time is cut to 0.6s. This certainly beats out a regular pistol, and I believe the advantage you get from the reload speed is probably greater for a non-WK build than any single mod you could put on a Pistol. If you have WK2, then you're likely better off putting 5 mods on a Pistol than making a (?) modded Speedloader.

Weigh in and tell me why I'm wrong, or that it really is that cut and dry.   

Napsterbater

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 11:27 »

Being as similar as it is, is there any reason to put different mods aside from P3B2 on the Blaster in an ideal set-up?
I rarely find blasters, even when I do I'm not playing pistols, but looking at the fact that they deal plasma damage, which is only reduced by half of the monster's armor value, and the fact that you can't manually reload it, you might be happier with 3 or even 4 bulk mods rather than P mods.

Edit: Can you manually reload it? Most recharging weapons can't be reloaded manually, but the Blaster's wiki page doesn't mention that it can't, and gives a reload time. I think the wiki page is either wrong or needs to be updated with the fact that it's the only recharging weapon that can be manually reloaded.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 11:30 by Napsterbater »

Reef Blastbody

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Big McLargehuge
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 11:38 »

I don't think you can put 4 bulk mods on anything; I was under the impression that even with WK2, the limit to a "type" of any given mod to be applied to a weapon was 3 of a kind.
I'm at work right now so I'd have to test when I get home.

With the damage in mind though, as you said, B3P2 may be a better choice, just because you can fire way more before running around and waiting for it to recharge.

I don't think it can be manually reloaded, and that the reload time listed is just the 1 round per second kind of deal that the other recharging weapons have, listed incorrectly under Reload Speed. However, it's the same class as a combat pistol, which means you could make it into an Energy Blaster (which is stupid but theoretically possible), at which point I have no idea if it would become reloadable or if it would keep it's original auto-reload properties.

I *never* find Blasters either, so I can't test this at the moment. If anyone has a scummed save with a Blaster and is willing to try, please fill us in.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2012, 11:52 »

You are correct that you cannot put more than 3 mods of the same type on one weapon (and more than one on armour/melee weapon).

Blaster, as with all recharging weapons, cannot be reloaded manually...

And I believe there is a mod with all the weapons and items for testing purposes somewhere, try searching the modding forum.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Reef Blastbody

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Big McLargehuge
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2012, 12:05 »

And I believe there is a mod with all the weapons and items for testing purposes somewhere, try searching the modding forum.

Aha. I finally found it. Thanks for the head's up!

http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5108.0;attach=896

That is apparently it right there; I'll have to try it when I get home. I'm not sure how it works yet but I'm definitely going to get a lot of use out of this.

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2012, 12:08 »

You can't go with 4 mods of the same type.
Blaster can't be reloaded.
Personally i don't see the point of B3 instead of B2 on blaster.

Napsterbater

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2012, 12:57 »

Aha. I finally found it. Thanks for the head's up!

http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5108.0;attach=896

That is apparently it right there; I'll have to try it when I get home. I'm not sure how it works yet but I'm definitely going to get a lot of use out of this.
Just put it in your modules directory, start the game up and go to "Custom Game" it'll be in there. Pretty fun to get decked out in all the best gear, bump up to level 26 and spawn a bunch of high level critters. With Butchers Cleaver in one hand, Dragonslayer in the other, Berserker armor and A-modded anti-grav phaseshift boots, Full zerk, MMB, Brute5, Iro5, HR3, DM, Fin3; you're unstoppable.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All