General > Discussion

Original IP roguelike for the Chaosforge?

(1/6) > >>

Reef Blastbody:
I was on the IRC server, and a few people were talking about IPs and the Chaosforge. For anyone that may not know, IP is short for Intellectual Property; it's more commonly known in the video game/movie/etc business as a franchise.

Doom, for example, is the IP of id software, which spans Doom books, movies, etc. To date, all of the publicly released Chaosforge games (as far as I know) are based on existing IPs; Doom, Berserk, Aliens, Diablo. All of these games are indeed awesome and a lot of fun, but as a result of being based off of other peoples' IPs, it limits the Chaosforge on their marketability.

I am not a member of the Chaosforge, nor do I work for them or represent them in any capacity, informal or formal. I am just a fan and player of these games. However, I wanted to poll to see what kind of interest the forum community had in an original IP, even just the idea.

If the Chaosforge made their own IP (in essence, a roguelike game that was not based off an existing franchise/license), then they would be eligible to get additional funding from Kickstarter (not that everyone isn't awesome for donating or pitching in, but more funding sources = more possibility). And, even though this is continuing on the same "what if/theoretical tangent", once completed, a game that was wholly the product of the Chaosforge would be eligible to be sold on something like Steam and actually generate revenue for the Chaosforge. As I said, I am not a member, I have no idea if they have any intention to branch out into being a business, or if the whole point of the Chaosforge is merely producing some of the best fan-based games known to man. There's no mission statement of any sort I could find.

If you're still with me, thank you for reading all of that, and that brings us to the poll I've made. If the Chaosforge was going to take a stab at making a roguelike of their own IP, what would you like to see? Or, if you don't like that idea at all, that's also an option on the poll. I apologize if there's been a similar topic in the past or some discussion of the same nature; I wasn't able to see anything laid out as point blank as this and I was curious.

Thanks.

thelaptop:
PS: You should probably put a deadline on the poll, otherwise it will be less meaningful as the thread ages.

Klear:
Voted other. Not that I have anything specific in mind, but I'd love to see something wildly original if it comes to an original creation.

MaiZure:
I'm in a Shadowrun/Blade Runner mood so I voted Sci-Fi.
That and I just watched Logan's Run with a follow up tomorrow with Soylent Green.

Let's see some creative Sci-Fi Action :P

LuckyDee:
I'm going for other as well: recently, Kornel also fired the same question over Chaosforge's Facebook, and one of the people there suggested doing a Lovecraft-based RL, which sounds awesome to me. Essentially, this would mean a mix of fantasy, modern and sci-fi styles. Which, come to think of it, goes for Doom as well, to some extent.

Although Lovecraft will likely be protected by an SEIP field as well, this background will probably not be eligible either, but it gives a good idea of what flavour I'd be looking for.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version