Chaosforge Forum

• April 16, 2024, 15:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Original IP roguelike for the Chaosforge?  (Read 16031 times)

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Re: Original IP roguelike for the Chaosforge?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 03:35 »

What is it you are referring to as Moons of Jupiter?
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 16:27 »

There was a brief discussion on Chaosforge's Facebook page about a new IP for the next roguelike. I think Kornel originally meant it as a joke, and it never really got fleshed out, but I still think it's a pretty workable concept.

Either that, or I'd choose a super-hero roguelike. Just because there's not a lot of them about. None of this progression stuff, you start powerful and end up god-like. Spam and swarm mooks at the player and have many bosses and arch villains. Sort of like a bullet-hell shoot-em-up, but in roguelike form. I didn't like the idea when I first saw it mentioned, but it's kind of grown on me. The classes and levelling system would have to be pretty flexible, and your power vs mooks would need to still make them provide a challenge, but it would probably be fun.

If anyone has ever played Sil (an Angband branch roguelike based off Tolkien's Silmarillion), then combat could be similar to that. One on one, you're tough. Get swarmed or mobbed an you're screwed. Positioning and tactics could be key, even with your super-powered status. Resources based off class, perhaps ripping some of Diablo 3's concepts for different classes. Just done properly and more interestingly.

Wouldn't make a bad game I think.

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 02:57 »

I wasn't witness to the facebook discussion, but the brief outline you just gave of the 'moons of jupiter' concept - the near-future plot of aliens living on jupiter's moons, and humanity having to invade to take them back, sounds original, versatile, fresh, and a digestible. I really like the sound of that!
Badges:
DRL:26 22 22 19 13 6
  JH:15 13 11   7   2

AJBuwalda

• Sergeant
  • Colonial Marine
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 03:05 »

I have an idea... I'll work it out after work.

RylandAlmanza

• DiabloRL Beta Tester
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 20:06 »

I voted other. Modern day games are over-done (though, I've never seen a modern day roguelike.) Sci-fi is over-done. Fantasy is WAY over-done (though, still my favorite of the three.) You know what we need? Dinosaurs! It doesn't necessarily have to be prehistoric, it just needs dinosaurs. Think Turok.

Uitë

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 15:34 »

Something (semi-) historical maybe? It really doesn't have to be entirely accurate, of course, just evoke enough of the flavour. Think Prince of Persia, Assassin's Creed, or even Onimusha.
Arch-Vile 1st Lieutenant
[26|12|6|1|0]

emulord

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2012, 11:11 »

King Arthur / Beowulf / Rings of the niblung themed for semi-historical

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2012, 18:19 »

Except that anything that draws from Lord of the Rings is also in a roundabout way drawing from Der Ring des Nibelungen too...

Personally, I'd like to see a roguelike that's akin to the original Wolfenstein: stealth and strategy winning out over YAAMing and going in with guns blazing. But that's just me.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 18:52 »

The Forge has already decided, you'll hear about our next project next year!

OR a lot earlier if you're one of the Supporters of Chaos (*hint*, *hint*, Donation Drive $256 level!)
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

rchandra

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 10:44 »

slightly off-topic... how much of DoomRL is still using id's IP improperly?  Doom was GPLed apart from its WAD, right?  The music is mostly Simon-v, Sonic Clang, etc.  Level design certainly doesn't match any original Doom game.
Of course DoomRL itself is not GPLed yet, so that would be a different problem.
0.9.9.1-4: Arch-Vile Br. General [25/25/17/5/1]
0.9.9.5-7: Hell Baron Major [ 21 16 12 4 1 0 ]

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2012, 12:25 »

slightly off-topic... how much of DoomRL is still using id's IP improperly?  Doom was GPLed apart from its WAD, right?  The music is mostly Simon-v, Sonic Clang, etc.  Level design certainly doesn't match any original Doom game.
Of course DoomRL itself is not GPLed yet, so that would be a different problem.
My guess would be things like the general story line, the names of the monsters involved, their overall behaviour.

It's pretty intangible, but knowing how lawyers work, the further we are from such similarity, the more defensible it gets, should it reach that point.
I computed, therefore I was.

Gamer-man

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2013, 15:19 »

to make it more interesting, lawyers almost never actually send cease and desist letters because they actually want the project to stop, instead they are usually sent enmass so that the company that owns the rights to an ip can claim they tried to protect it.  Generally, if you reply to a cease and desist letter requesting information, they won't bother replying.  If they don't, the company doesn't actually want you to stop (or at least they don't care if you do or not), they just want to protect their claim to ownership of the ip. 
Pages: 1 [2]  All