Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 08:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Some thoughts  (Read 10367 times)

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Some thoughts
« on: August 25, 2012, 11:00 »

OK, I've finally found time to play a little more, but I haven't been able to get too far. I feel like I could really use some pointers:

So far the game for me is a hopeless struggle to have enough ammo. But getting more ammo means searching everywhere, which means fighting aliens, and in the end I'm eventually running out at least as fast as I can replace lost ammo. I've found the storage tower, but once I clear that, I'm in the same problem as before.

I'm guessing I need a better weapon, but I've so far only found the starting (for marines) MP5 and some other rifle (forgot the name) which uses different ammunition, but since I can't bring both with me, it doesn't really help. I haven't found any new sidearm besides the starting pistol which is quite underwhelming. I guess more ammo/weapons can be found in the more difficult towers/levels, but they also bring more dangerous aliens and in the end I end up running out of ammo sooner if I try to forage into the more dangerous areas.

What still kinda puts be off in this game is that there's (at least from the beginning) not much problem with health, just with ammo. Only when ammo runs out do I get seriously hurt/killed fast.

Other than that - I keep trying to pick up open doors and to close weapons lying around, these graphics should be differentiated.

Oh, and I was thinking that the already scary atmosphere could be further improved by making each player step make a sound, though it could become tiresome after a while. It could sound good though.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Some thoughts
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 11:28 »

I've found that the Engineering Tower is a good way to get ammo, surprisingly.  The hard part is getting to it.

The other rifle is probably the FN SCAR, which I really like.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 11:31 »

Did you ascend higher or only explored the level 1 of all towers?
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 12:08 »

Yeah, FN SCAR. I didn't seem that much better. That's actually another point I wanted to make - there are no hard stats of the weapons, not even ammo used, or at least I didn't find it.

I explored mostly level 1, when I got to level 2, I usually got killed soon after...

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 12:18 »

I think it gives damage and armor penetration numbers on the character screen.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 13:00 »

OK, so Engineering Tower, don't be afraid of higher levels, weapon stats on the character screen. I'll see if that helps. Thanks.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 09:42 »

I have some notes, so I'll just put it in this thread.

1) Skills - I just realized that the skill levels listed in the advancement menu are those you can (or cannot) buy, not the skill levels you currently posses. Maybe it's just me (and it's definitely a matter of opinion) but I'd prefer if this screen showed the current level. It seems more intuitive that way. I know the current skill levels are listed on the character screen (well, not really, I only found out as I was typing this) so I guess if unspent XP was listed there (which it should - and there's still plenty of room), the advancement dialogue could be merged with the character screen.

2) XP - it should be listed in the main game view, possibly between name and health bar. I hate that I have to keep checking the menu to see if I have enough to buy my skill next upgrade, with the unspent XP value being hidden in a sub-submenu (requiring 4 keys to display and then three escapes to get back in the game).

3) Acid - I think I wrote it somewhere before, but anyway: I keep stepping around alien bodies, thinking that walking across them will hurt me because of acid. The bright green colour looks dangerous. A minor health hit when walking over corpses wouldn't make it that much more difficult, but it would motivate players to kill aliens in convenient spots. Fitness could perhaps lower the damage.

4) What do the number and a bunch or coloured bars (in the bottom right corner during the game) represent? (pseudo-edit: the first two are security/millitary keys, right?)

5) Is there a "low armour" warning? I might have missed it, but I never noticed it, unlike the (ubiquitous) low health and low ammo warnings.

6) Have anybody suggested flares, to temporarily neutralize lowlight areas? I'm sure somebody already did, but what was the response? =)

7) I just had an alien pursue me throughout a level, breaking down all doors I shut in its face. No question or suggestion here - I just wanted to say how amazing it was... I need to run away from things more =)

8) Is there a way to unload guns? When I pick up a gun of the same type as I'm holding, does the one I drop get unloaded before picking up the new one? I noticed that this way I usually get only a partially loaded gun, but after reloading it, I seem to have a bit more ammo than before.

That's about it for now.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 10:02 »

1) Skills
Discuss with Kornel.

2) XP
At certain XP breakdowns, an indicator appears / changes colour. Discuss with Kornel.

3) Acid
If we decided to do that ...then we would need to make them corrode with the environment - and disappear after some time.
I propose to discuss it. Make some topic and drop yer ideas =) .

4) What do the number and a bunch or coloured bars (in the bottom right corner during the game) represent? (pseudo-edit: the first two are security/millitary keys, right?)
Yep. And God God Hand only knows what is the rest for.

5) Is there a "low armour" warning?
Nope.

6) Have anybody suggested flares, to temporarily neutralize lowlight areas? I'm sure somebody already did, but what was the response? =)
Yep. Guess who? =)
And I guess there was no response. On the other side - there are so many things to get implemented, that I am almost sure they will appear sooner or later.

7) I just had an alien pursue me throughout a level, breaking down all doors I shut in its face. No question or suggestion here - I just wanted to say how amazing it was... I need to run away from things more =)
We do have a lot of interesting ideas, which would keep the game ...entertaining.
And btw,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

8) Is there a way to unload guns? When I pick up a gun of the same type as I'm holding, does the one I drop get unloaded before picking up the new one? I noticed that this way I usually get only a partially loaded gun, but after reloading it, I seem to have a bit more ammo than before.
Weapons are unloaded by dropping them. I bugged Kornel long enough, so he reimplemented dropping at the same tile (it was there in the previous releases, but somehow disappeared during alpha/beta stages).
Double "g"et (when standing on some weapon the class we got already) is a quick way to unload it. Imho, it incredibly simplifies the game while going through multiple crates. Just remember to reload afterwards.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 10:04 by skarczew »

Sirdec

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 10:51 »

About Acid : perhaps only larger aliens should leave enough acid to be a threat to the environement and the player. On the other hand, if aliens leave have acid blood in game, then the focus on point-blank shooting as it is atm is difficult to justify. Game design is hard :-)

Something i didn't catch during the beta-phase and that is needed (was diying way too early) : some way to fire at somthing (like glass) without the cursor going back to an alien in view. Very often i want to break glass while there is a drone or worker in view. not sure how to implement it thought...
Roguelikes beaten
DoomRL : a lot of wins, best one AoMr UV 100%
DCSS : 10 runer MdFi
AliensRL

Motorheadbanger

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 13:51 »

About the acid — it is one feature of an alien: you shoot him in the guts, you look at what was your face dripping on the floor.

And also, do want a motion scanner with beeps just like in the movies. And maybe some vent hatches to weld them shut to stop them from getting to you?

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 06:01 »

Acid is very much planned - however, I don't want it to be just some boring damage -- I have a few ideas but they will need some time to implement. In general acid damage will be special -- once it hits it keeps damaging the player unless the player removes the damaged item. However, the damage is not immedate -- the acid first needs to eat through the armor. There are several issues here that I want to solve here, but the general goal is for the player to be really afraid of acid damage, not just some simple -2 hp that can be countered with the next medkit.

And yes the motion scanner is a must have feature, but it will be implemented once aliens will spawn from vent shafts and not randomly.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Sirdec

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 02:09 »

Anyway does the God Hand has more plan about flavour concerning the towers ? New level generators are great, but it still feels like it used to be inhabited by a race of box-lifters, sleeping in beds and eating on the floor, not humans.

Well game is allready awesome, and i *need* to ascend in this version too.
Roguelikes beaten
DoomRL : a lot of wins, best one AoMr UV 100%
DCSS : 10 runer MdFi
AliensRL

drugon

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Adventure-seeker @ in the Cyber Dungeon quest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 11:38 »

Low armour warning and flares are great ideas I think. I would like to see/hear it in future versions.
[BB|SB|GB|PB|DB] 0.9.9.7
[15|05|03|00|00]

If somebody will find grammar mistakes in my posts, please tell me. It's important to improve my English!

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 14:14 »

There are *tons* of ideas here. And it's nowhere near being "finished". Keep supporting AliensRL and it will become more fun that you can imagine ;)
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

AJBuwalda

• Sergeant
  • Colonial Marine
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 02:17 »

There are *tons* of ideas here. And it's nowhere near being "finished". Keep supporting AliensRL and it will become more fun that you can imagine ;)
The Dwarf Fortress II version of fun?
Pages: [1] 2  All