Chaosforge Forum

• April 16, 2024, 12:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Doom Fall of mars  (Read 4336 times)

ultimate26

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
Doom Fall of mars
« on: August 30, 2012, 08:38 »

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/10061-doom-plus-diablo-equals-doom-fall-of-mars/

You guys seen this? diablo/doom hybrid made by one guy! reminded me alot of doom rl.

What do you guys think?

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: Doom Fall of mars
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 09:08 »

It's dead, Jim.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 09:52 »

Too bad... it looks great!
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 09:53 »

After seeing that, I can't help but feel that an X-COM style game set in the Doom universe would be absolutely fantastic.
Use power for power.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 09:54 »

Uranium, you can keep hoping ;)
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 09:56 »

After seeing that, I can't help but feel that an X-COM style game set in the Doom universe would be absolutely fantastic.

X-com style game set in any universe would be absolutely fantastic.

Reef Blastbody

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Big McLargehuge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 10:37 »

X-com style game set in any universe would be absolutely fantastic.

My own personal pet project over the past couple of months has actually been a pen and paper tabletop game that is a loving homage to X-Com and Syndicate; it kind of plays like Delta Green.

Basically a similar premise to X-Com in that aliens have attacked and they need to be neutralized, but in this setting, the aliens have attacked after Megacorporations have already taken the place of most forms of government, and instead of X-Com being created, each corporation has financed and outfitted their own PMC. Players are new recruits for a PMC of one of the various corporations, and can augment their body ala Syndicate. Enemies other than aliens include rival PMC Operators, and weirdo androids.

It's basically crammed full of things I like. I'm not a programmer or an artist, so I went the route of a pen and paper RPG. Most resultion is based not on 1d20 (or even 2d10), but 1d8+1d12 (it gives a more even distribution).

tl;dr, X-Com/Syndicate meets Delta Green/Dark Heresy/Shadowrun.

Nothing in it is *directly* from the settings, just inspired, kind of like Forever War being Joe Halderman's answer to Starship Troopers.

There is also a moon colony, but it's not really Doom-inspired; more along the lines of 2001 Space Odyssey. No fancy video game unfortunately though! It'll just be a PDF file, and I am eventually going to shell out some money to commision a cover and a few page spreads of artwork for the inside.

Didn't mean to go off on a tangent, but everyone talking about X-Com made me spill.
HERE COMES THE NIGHT TRAIN

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 04:57 »

Sounds good. My personal pet project over the past couple of months has been a X-COM-like game made for Starcraft 2. I haven't got the time to touch it for some time now though. I'm still struggling with UI, which is a tiresome work. Once I get to the creative side, inventing aliens and equipment for your soldiers, designing battlegrounds and balancing all of that, it will move forward much faster, I hope =)

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 20:34 »

Maybe when Kyzrati finishes X@com (or gets it to an easily moddable stage) we can have the best of all worlds.

Doom+Xcom+ascii+roguelike. That might make a damn good mod for X@com actually. And should be way easier than the WH40k thing I was planning. I guess you could throw in some Syndicate stuff there as well if you felt so inclined (armour mods for cybernetics perhaps).

Maybe reverse it as well. A DoomRL Xcom mod wouldn't be too difficult to make (on a scale of "I'm not doing it, so I'll say it's easy.")

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 19:02 »

Well, Kyzrati's done it. So if you don't mind, I'll have a craik at "The Fall of Mars" as an X@com mod. It'll be easier to represent the whole marine squad, as well as NPCs and enemies. So many enemies.

It's all unofficial and not-for-profit, so I hope whoever came up with the idea is cool with me taking it to a different engine. Now, to get text editing and testing. So much text editing.

(this isn't meant to take away from DoomRL in any way, it's just a test of a new game engine. DoomRL is still my favourite roguelike, and probably will be for quite some time. I could come up with an original concept, but I think it will be better for people to be able to identify, mentally and in their imagination, just what the mod is trying to represent. I give you all a yell when I'm done so you can critique/flame it :) ).
Pages: [1]