Chaosforge Forum

• April 16, 2024, 14:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: XP grinding  (Read 3680 times)

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
XP grinding
« on: September 20, 2012, 07:18 »

I've already moved past the phase where I quickly run out of ammo and get killed with no way to defend myself, now I'm facing difficulties when dealing with higher levels, which are actually dangerous for unprepared marines. Most of my games end on level 4.

So I was wondering, should I stay at lower levels until I scrape together enough XP to improve most of my skills, possibly getting a weapon still to master level?

I usually get to a state where the lower levels don't really pose too much danger to me, with plenty of ammo and medkits. I tend to climb the towers at that point, probably getting to dangerous places too soon. Should I, for example, fully explore all/most of the towers before going up? Should I spend time camping and just shooting aliens to get XP while I'm not pressed for ammo?

I tend to skip a lot of potential XP simply because I want to get into action. Besides, lack of enough keys/explosives prevent me from fully exploring millitary/security towers, the layouts of some towers (namely medical and civilian) and/or radiation usually make me explore only the remaining towers, unless I need to find a working elevator.

So... is there some rule of thumb how much XP I should spend before venturing upwards?
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
Re: XP grinding
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 09:24 »

I explore most of level one. After that, I try to ascend through Security / Military and explore them, with occasional visits to Storage (to replenish ammo and stuff), Main (tends to have good equip), Medical (healing), Engineering (storage bis).

It is good to search for a decent weapon at last on levels 4-5. Pulse Rifle is a minimum you should have before deciding to face the final levels, though you may live for some time with H&K machinegun and advanced / expert rank in Heavy Weapons.

If you run out of ammo, you should invest more into weapon skills and Fitness.

GustavEnzling

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 14:17 »

My strategy is:

Run to storage for guns, ammo, supplies and glory.
Explore enineering - choose fights wisely since you can see through glass in most of rooms.
Explore corridors in civilian and medical for ammo and exploration xp. (Don't venture into rooms there unless want medpacks or to get to elevator. (I find that it is not worth it, most of the times.))
Ransack security and military, if have keys. But don't if low on ammo and healt since the areas often have some real nasty aliens lurking.
Avoid Main tower at all cost, unless you want to put up turrets for some open area fun :D

This can be done at every level. (I often die at level 3 or 4). Pew-pew!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 14:20 by GustavEnzling »

GustavEnzling

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 14:23 »

Also, I love this game.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 14:33 »

Avoid Main tower at all cost, unless you want to put up turrets for some open area fun :D
Awww, nobody loves to do Aliens' Olympics (R)(C)(TM) ? =(
Pages: [1]