Chaosforge Forum

• April 15, 2024, 23:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Separate key binding for elevator usage  (Read 4537 times)

Lomaster

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Separate key binding for elevator usage
« on: September 22, 2012, 01:40 »

I suggest elevators need separate key to use (like good old ">" and/or "<") There are two annoying elevator issues i'd like to address as reasons:
1) You use storage tower elevator. You appear in the next storage tower floor, surrounded by (not empty) crates. You immediately press "space" to examine such crate but find yourself in the previous storage tower floor instead. So in order to loot the crates you have to step off those 9 elevator tiles.
2) You're in the main tower. You're almost dead. You're out of ammo, medkits, armour and pretty much anything. You are chased by a horde of aliens. You are exactly one step away from elevator tiles and one alien is about to give you a fatal blow/bite. But fortunately you don't hesitate to use some game exploits and press "space" and then direction to the elevator and escape the horde safely without any need of standing on the elevator.

So in the first case our character's life would get a bit easier, while a bit harder in the second case should separate key bindings for elevators be implemented. In both cases our character's life would get more sense.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 09:53 by Lomaster »

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Re: Separate key for elevator usage
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 02:19 »

You can use space to look inside crates?! And you can use an elevator when not standing on it? Cool. I need to remember that.

In any case, why don't you simply run into the crates in the first scenario? Unless I'm missing something, you can open and loot them that way.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Lomaster

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 04:28 »

In any case, why don't you simply run into the crates in the first scenario? Unless I'm missing something, you can open and loot them that way.
Ok, even though i'm used to examine crates with spacebar i can keep in mind that second option. A few minutes ago i got caught in another frustrating situation. As you can see from the log i opened the door, saw a drone, tried to close the door (tell me if you can close doors by any other means but spacebar) by pressing spacebar and direction to the door, and of course i stepped right into the drone's claws because of the elevator. There is just no way to close that door from the room to the north.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 06:15 »

Ok, even though i'm used to examine crates with spacebar i can keep in mind that second option. A few minutes ago i got caught in another frustrating situation. As you can see from the log i opened the door, saw a drone, tried to close the door (tell me if you can close doors by any other means but spacebar) by pressing spacebar and direction to the door, and of course i stepped right into the drone's claws because of the elevator. There is just no way to close that door from the room to the north.
http://s10.postimage.org/4pmkyukbr/arl_0001.png
Well, you are right. I found myself in the situations that I wanted to space-open the doors, and I used an elevator instead.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: Separate key binding for elevator usage
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 14:13 »

While I agree that it's a problem, I want to be able to solve that without a dedicated key. We want to keep the numbers of keybindings to the minimum. Probably this will be solved by checking the amount of contect actions and presenting a menu when in doubt.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 16:56 »

Kornel, I would then suggest to make it an option - I believe you have some appoach in mind, but keep in mind that there are players players who are new and would like to keep things simple, as well as those that are really used to the "< and >" approach.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

AJBuwalda

• Sergeant
  • Colonial Marine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 00:50 »

I rather not think of the second example as "exploiting", more like a cinematic dive for the savety of the elevator :-P
Pages: [1]