Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 14:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Ammo Tweaks  (Read 8638 times)

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
Ammo Tweaks
« on: January 01, 2007, 13:47 »

Well, Whenever i play through on a NORMAL game, not a challenge game, I always see the following:
1 or 2 commandos throughout the game
Loads of rocket ammo
Hardly any Cells.

Whenever I play through (apart from clearing Mortuary) I never get a plasma rifle, and if i get one, i have no ammo.
maybe something like this could work:
A) Reduce rocket ammo, and put more cells in.
B) Make a few more commandos appear.
C) Make BFG Harder to get, and put more cells in the game in general.

And about unloading Commandos guns-I only see like 2 a game.
[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Ammo Tweaks
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 14:02 »

Well, cells are food for the BFG and thus should not be abundant. I personally never had the feeling that cells are too rare. You can get quite a few in various special levels and from unloading commando weapons and there are also a few cells lying around here and there.
Rockets also seem fine as they are the only pratical way to blast through walls.

Maybe you like blowing up stuff too much and end up destroying cells along the way ;)
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Aki

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 14:04 »

i only use the RL on the wall, and picking off barons/HK.
Mabye use some other form of ammo for the BFG?
[0.9.9.7]

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 14:17 »

What about the Halls of Carnage?
I use the RL mostly agains enemies that don't carry items or groups of enemies. Clearing an arach cave by hitting 3 or 4 of them every time you fire the launcher is quite rewarding :D

Nah, it's fine now. If you really want a plasma rifle or enough cell ammo there are enough ways already.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cells ar not common in normal levels so you have to earn them by beating special levels or save every little bit you find on normal levels. But then again they are ammo for the BFG so they should be less common than ammo for weaker weapons.
I think it's fine now.

PS: I'd think twice about "B) Make a few more commandos appear." because sometimes whishes come true....
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 16:14 »

Well the one ammo problem I see is the fact that after some level 10mm and shotgun shells start to be hard to get - which is nasty if you play using pistol/chaingun/shotgun... It'd be nice to see ocasional "Ammo Storage Rooms" (rooms like vaults, but packed with ammo - the ammoun of ammo could depend on how deep you are and how rare the ammo is)
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Ugm

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • Serwis ADOM
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 17:19 »

Nah, it's fine now. If you really want a plasma rifle or enough cell ammo there are enough ways already.

...and now go, tiny mortal!

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 17:35 »

Well the one ammo problem I see is the fact that after some level 10mm and shotgun shells start to be hard to get - which is nasty if you play using pistol/chaingun/shotgun... It'd be nice to see ocasional "Ammo Storage Rooms" (rooms like vaults, but packed with ammo - the ammoun of ammo could depend on how deep you are and how rare the ammo is)

That's a nice idea. The few games I've tried to do shottyman I've met myself running out of shells on deeper levels.

B) Make a few more commandos appear.

If Kornel ever reads this, you might just have doomed us all for eternity. :P

EDIT: Kornel tried to destroy my post, but I rescued it before he could accomplish such an evil plan :P
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 17:44 by Adral »
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

Aki

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 19:01 »

What about the Halls of Carnage?
I use the RL mostly agains enemies that don't carry items or groups of enemies. Clearing an arach cave by hitting 3 or 4 of them every time you fire the launcher is quite rewarding :D

Cells ar not common in normal levels so you have to earn them by beating special levels or save every little bit you find on normal levels. But then again they are ammo for the BFG so they should be less common than ammo for weaker weapons.
I think it's fine now.

PS: I'd think twice about "B) Make a few more commandos appear." because sometimes whishes come true....
I've never done Hells Armoury so i never knew it had loads of cells.
And as for the more commandos....
And for HoC....i fire 2 rockets to get through the wall. Shotgun dem demons <3

IMHO (the) cells in Hells arena are useless unless Kornel gives us a plasma rifle instead of a rocket for being the champ.
CC gives like 60, but to early to be of any use.
HoC gives, like, 40, and the caco's blow them up before i can get to them =(
I seem to never see HA.
Umm, what else....
When I did CoS i chickened out and didnt pull the lever cause i thought HK and BoH's came out. It was my first attempt at DoomRL though.
Mortuary is scary but Viles+bfg=phr33 l33t aum0rz and 4dv BBBBFFFFGGGG!!!@@@@
Never done Spiders lair.
Thats about it for special levels i think.

You are my savior.
If Kornel reads this, then put more ammo in later levels. Or everyone on the forum will poke you to death with combat knives. [/joke]

[0.9.9.7]

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 12:08 »

Adding more Commandos sound pesky, but lowering the Arach count a little and raising the Commando count a little more might do the trick. On the other hand, I seem to have no cell problems at all. Usually I find myself dropping hundreds, keeping around only 100 for the BFGs 3 more shots. PRs waste ammo too quickly to keep them around - even with plenty of ammo pickups, getting caught with only a PR means running the risk of running out of CURRENT ammo - and me no like that. CGs waste ammo fast enough.

As for RLs, someone said somewhere that since using a RL can be so inconvenient at times, masses of rockets rarely mean too many. You keep 20-30 around, and when it's finally a good time to use them (no loot to ruin and not too close) you end up using most. Then you refill the stocks, 'till the next case appeares, not often in the near future (unless it's AVs, in which case there can't be too many rockets).

And as for shotguns, effectively they have 25 shots per stack. That's only RL*2.5, and you use it way more often, so of course you run out :P Maybe keep a CmbtSG around (and I have another idea, I'll be posting in a moment).

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 13:31 »

Plasma rifle will become a realy good weapon with the new Advanced Trait (already in Beta ^_^)
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 13:59 »

Plasma rifle will become a realy good weapon with the new Advanced Trait (already in Beta ^_^)
I think that smiley should be more like $_$
With all the *hint* beta *hint* and *hint* donation *hint* ;D

Aki

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 16:06 »

[0.9.9.7]

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 16:12 »

PS:

Valkeera

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 10:03 »

Maybe add heaps of this type of "lower" ammo in the buildings of hellish cities? I agree that it might be difficult to imagine demons sleeping on 10mm bullets, but at least their rooms would not be so empty ;-)
Angel of Death 007

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 11:06 »

If i hear BoHs, HKs, AVs, or Cacodemons behind the walls in hellish city, i usually step away a little to raze this building to the ground from safe distance. I suppose i won't find any ammo after that.))
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11
Pages: [1] 2  All