Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 17:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Ammo Tweaks  (Read 8697 times)

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Ammo Tweaks
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 11:10 »

If i hear BoHs, HKs, AVs, or Cacodemons behind the walls in hellish city, i usually step away a little to raze this building to the ground from safe distance. I suppose i won't find any ammo after that.))
The mighty Blade shies away from a little knife melee action with Cacos and AVs? :p

I also like leveling entire rooms with the RL just to be on the save side. Well, it's the trade off for a save kill....
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

necro

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 02:40 »

Why not seperate the amo for the bfg and the plasma rifle?  It was a feature of doom 3 I felt realy made sense compared to the original doom.  I am not sure, but is doom 3 unkosher here or somehting?

tisiphone

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 04:11 »

Doom 3 and the movie are seen as undoomish here from what I gather.

As for separating BFG ammo and the plasma rifle ammo, I think it works well as is. I though you where meant to be careful with your ammo consumption when using your plasma rifle anyway. It adds to the inventory management, in my opinion.
I want my games for entertainment and escapism, not ethics education, thank you very much.

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 05:25 »

10mm ammo vaults are... unnecessary in my book (at least, with the proper amount of precaution and forethought to collection).  The last time I ever had ammo troubles with my pistol was when I used Dualgunner and before mods were introduced; two pistols eat ammunition *very* fast.  However, I found that as long as I carried about 9 packs of 100 on me (very easy to get, especially if you head to the CC, which is *always* worth your time thanks to the zerk packs being so awesome at healing, speediness, and damage) I'd generally have enough ammo to last me the game.  It was a bit tight, but it was possible.  Couple this with the addition of mods which can turn pistols into hand cannons of greatness +5 by themselves, and now I could probably do fine with only 500 or possibly even less.  I admit I haven't seen the pain that Hurt Me Plenty or Ultra-Violence can dish out, but you can easily get far more 10mm ammo in the beginning than you can possibly take with you, so it's not like you have to be hurt by the lack of it later on.  The only risk, of course, is living life with few medkits/suits of armor, but the extremely fine amount of turn control you can get with AoMr makes it very possible to mitigate the need for medkits, and given that even with 9 packs of ammo you can still carry around 11 items (12 if you count the suit of armor you wear), you can get 6 pieces of armor (one worn) and 6 kits, which should be plenty if you pick the right traits and don't screw around when enemies are on the loose and aiming to kill.  It obviously gets riskier if you want to hang on to things like mods or a nuke for later, but with good play you don't have to worry about that a ton; my recent win only had one time when things looked really dangerous and that was because I only had one large kit left after a bad encounter.  After I found another, I breathed a sigh of relief, found some more later on to totally fill up and never had to worry for the rest of the game.  Seriously, though, former mooks are fairly plentiful early on, and former captains are made of win with their 100+ bunches of 10mm ammo later in the game; even a chaingunner will be hard-pressed for ammo issues thanks to them.

On the other hand, I'm with you on shotgun ammo.  Stacks of 50, plus the inherent need to either use more or risk your neck more feel as though they would cause quite a few ammo woes, and the HoC couldn't fill the ammo needs *nearly* as well as the CC does for pistol-users.
Pages: 1 [2]  All