Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 17:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Chaosforge 2007  (Read 5948 times)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Chaosforge 2007
« on: January 01, 2007, 18:51 »

A little late for a new year's topic but here it is :). I wish everyone a great new year, full of ideas, projects, good games, lots of fun and happiness. New year is usualy a occassion to do a summary of things that happened, and make plans for things yet to come. I made a short blog post about that:

Home is behind, the world ahead...

A new year is also a good occasion to talk about the future, and that's what I intend this post to be. Do you have any comments, or suggestions on what you would like to see happening on Chaosforge in the future, in this year or years to come? Do you have any insights you'd like to share?

I'd be more than happy to hear them!
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

nokturnal

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: Chaosforge 2007
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 20:51 »

looking forward to the 1.0/tiled doomrl, it's gonna be so cute!! :)

stardreamer!! *bigeyes*, now this sounds REALLY interesting!
an old time favorite!, i have several game ideas in my head involving elite  :D

no plans for diablorl, or is that sort of a spare time project?

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 10:38 »

Well, I just hope that if you plan on doing another kind of games, apart from roguelikes, you still work them (at least in your existing ones) from time to time. Preferably, I'd like that you DON'T leave the roguelikes at all :P. I know you said you won't leave them totally, but as other projects start spawning you might get so involved in them that you forget about these others. In my opinion, that would be a sad thing.

For me, I'd also love to see more steps on the DoomRL saga, although I think it might never be "completed" in some sense, as room for improvement always exists in this world, and more so in a roguelike. I really hope that you never let it die, since it has brought me very nice times. At least, if you plan on leaving it completely, release the source so someone can continue your work on it.

The Stardreamer, as nokturnal said, sounds really interesting indeed, although I have never had the oportunity to play Elite, I've played similar games (I think) and in my opinion something nice can come of it. Also you show very original ideas, and I suppose all your other games will be a good bunch too.

So, as a conclusion... If you like to do some other things because you think they'll make you happier, then by all means do so. It's just that I fear for my poor RLs, they will be so lonely...

Happy new year to you all!

May your dreams come true on 2007.
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 11:11 »

As I posted under the entry, I strongly urge you to continue developing roguelikes! :)
No matter what anyone says, they can always be pushed farther and better, especially if you'll release genrogue and then if other develope it even further.

But I can't ignore your wanting to develope *you* further, and wish you the very best of luck any way you go :)

I can't help but wonder, are you intending Stardreamer to be freeware, or it's revenues diverted somewhat to the advancing of worldwide open-source/freeware development?

Derek

• Team Artist
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.derekyu.com
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 14:00 »

I think you're doing the right thing by moving on to different types of games.  Eventually, you may feel like you want to concentrate on RL's again, and the experience and ideas you get from other genres will only make your RL's that much more interesting.  And if you stick with doing the 7DRL competitions, you'll keep your fans very happy. :)

But yes, definitely before you go, get the graphical version of DoomRL out.  It will make you (even more) legendary! ;)

Jim9137

• Rainbow Love Marine
  • Backer
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 19:09 »

What I think you should do, is lay off the booze.

And give it to me.

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 02:21 »

A happy new year and good luck on your future projects!

Might I be so bold as to suggest open sourcing DoomRL and/or DiabloRL? They are fairly famous in roguelike circles and if you wish to focus your time on other game types then open sourcing them will ensure their continued development for a long time.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 13:18 »

I second that opinion, but only on DiabloRL (which is contrary to my position on the data files. Hmmm).
DoomRL's the kind of legacy to be kept at one's side at all times :)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 21:05 »

A post about KeyMovies has been posted on the blog if anyone's interested ;]
And the Oscar goes to...
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

nokturnal

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 00:26 »

cool! rewinding is not at all important imo, and NO jumping into action anywhere! :D

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 13:00 »

It's great to see a new term coined :)

Couldn't that be bypassed by having a seperate RNG "interrupt" occasionally, based on external calculations, nudging RNG1 for a chain-reaction? That could be used to prevent scumming the feature (by hacking that "jump" effect, which I too dislike very much. That's plain savescumming, but for every move in the game).
I'm not sure how it works.

What I do know is that would start a RNG pantheon :P
Pages: [1]